Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Disco Dust vs. stamping glitter
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Disco Dust vs. stamping glitter

post #1 of 46
Thread Starter 
What is the difference? Disco dust vs the glitter you find in the craft store with the stamp/scrapbook supplies. They both say non toxic on the labels, and I licked both of them icon_lol.gif and the only difference I notice (other than the COST) is the regular glitter is thicker. icon_confused.gif
post #2 of 46
LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!! Only YOU would have licked them to see! I have no idea, but that maybe that one has been made specifically to be edible. Just cause it's non-toxic doesn't mean you should eat it.
post #3 of 46
Thread Starter 
Oh hey, personally, if it says non toxic, it isn't gonna poison me, so I say it's fair game for my mouth! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

But seriously...I don't find anything anywhere that specifically says Disco Dust is edible, it's just non toxic. The stamping glitter is non toxic. Chalk is non toxic. Elmer's glue is non toxic. Play Doh is non toxic. So, I don't see where I'll be ordering that expensive disco dust anymore, to go on things that aren't gonna be eaten anyways. icon_smile.gif
post #4 of 46
That is true & we do use chalk for gumpaste flowers. but I know sometimes the glitter may go on the actual cake. And it's cheaper, huh? Let me know how your expiermenting goes. icon_biggrin.gif
post #5 of 46
innnneresting.

i giggled at "the only difference is the regular glitter is thicker" .... cuz you licked it to find out! haha.
"Every child instinctively knows what many adults have long since forgotten: Our differences are not something to be tolerated, they are something to be celebrated."
Reply
"Every child instinctively knows what many adults have long since forgotten: Our differences are not something to be tolerated, they are something to be celebrated."
Reply
post #6 of 46
Thread Starter 
Yep---had to do the experimenting on myself!
post #7 of 46
Disco dust is just that--thinner PLASTIC glitter. It is non-toxic (won't poison you), but isn't technically edible (as it isn't really a food product). It is to be used only on decorations that will be removed from the cake. Same goes for non-toxic petal dust, chalks, or luster dusts.

Craft glitter can be either PLASTIC OR GLASS--lots of Martha Stewart's really pretty European stuff is glass.

One thing to consider is that small, particulate matter--like tiny raspberry seeds, etc.--can lodge in the intestines and cause bouts of diverticulitis or diverticulosis, especially in older people. This is an extremely painful illness and can result in perforations and/or infections............

In cake decorating competitions, many of the rules indicate that disco dust can only be used on decorations that will be removed fromt the cake before serving......

I don't use disco dust on things that will be eaten.

HTH
Rae
I love you, but your emergency is not my crisis!

They say that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.--Terry Pratchett (b.194
Reply
I love you, but your emergency is not my crisis!

They say that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.--Terry Pratchett (b.194
Reply
post #8 of 46
Wow! That is great information. Thanks Blakescakes.
post #9 of 46
Thread Starter 
Thanks Blakes...I wonder how many people think it's ok to eat..hmmmm.
post #10 of 46
There was a big issue with this at OSSAS 2 years ago about it. The companies say is totally edible. The judges where not sure about it. It was the first year Disco
Dust came out.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif
Visit my website.. www.designmeacake.com
http://designmeacakeblog.blogspot.com/
Check my Gumpaste Tutorials in You tube
http://www.youtube.com/user/tonedna1
Check my new Blooms and Vines DVD!



Thanks Edna
Reply
Visit my website.. www.designmeacake.com
http://designmeacakeblog.blogspot.com/
Check my Gumpaste Tutorials in You tube
http://www.youtube.com/user/tonedna1
Check my new Blooms and Vines DVD!



Thanks Edna
Reply
post #11 of 46
icon_rolleyes.gif Wow Jamie only you. I have looked at that big pack of specialty scrapbook glitter that comes in coordinating shades. Beautiful colors. But I just don't know. It really is pretty funny. I could imagine you doing that.
¢¾Sarah
Reply
¢¾Sarah
Reply
post #12 of 46
Thread Starter 
Hee hee...yep!
post #13 of 46
I've tasted it too Jaime.....it all tastes like glitter to me too! I use pixie dust (basically disco dust) that I get at cakesbysam.com........it's says "edible" so I get it, that way if a customer has an issue I can direct them to my source that says it's "edible" not just "non toxic".....
God's Word will either keep you from sin;
or sin will keep you from God's Word.
Reply
God's Word will either keep you from sin;
or sin will keep you from God's Word.
Reply
post #14 of 46
The one from sunflower company says edible too!
Edna icon_smile.gif
Visit my website.. www.designmeacake.com
http://designmeacakeblog.blogspot.com/
Check my Gumpaste Tutorials in You tube
http://www.youtube.com/user/tonedna1
Check my new Blooms and Vines DVD!



Thanks Edna
Reply
Visit my website.. www.designmeacake.com
http://designmeacakeblog.blogspot.com/
Check my Gumpaste Tutorials in You tube
http://www.youtube.com/user/tonedna1
Check my new Blooms and Vines DVD!



Thanks Edna
Reply
post #15 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

The one from sunflower company says edible too!
Edna icon_smile.gif



When I received my Rainbow Disco Dust by Sunflower....it said 'non toxic' on the label. Nothing about being edible. I think it's like Blake said, just thinner plastic. Won't kill you, but in such small amounts....eh, so your toilet bowl will be sparkly later. icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_eek.giftapedshut.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Disco Dust vs. stamping glitter