Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cookies! › What is instant espresso powder? And where do I buy it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is instant espresso powder? And where do I buy it?

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
I'm making some chocolate cookies for Christmas and the recipe calls for instant espresso powder but I can't seem to find it. Can someone please tell me what this is and where I can find it? Maybe you know of a brand that I could look for?

Thanks for the help.
post #2 of 25
You can usually find it in the coffee aisle of your grocery store. I prefer to order mine (along with other items) from King Arthur flour. The espresso powder will add some depth to your chocolate baked goods without imparting a coffee flavor. Here is a link to the KAF site: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/espresso-powder-2-oz

Rezzy
post #3 of 25
I buy it in the supermarket and use a little bit in everything chocolate I make including ganache. It boosts the chocolate taste. The brand in my supermarket is Medaglia D'Oro
post #4 of 25
Good question, Mickeebabe. I haven't been able to find it at any of the local grocers. I asked my local Starbucks and they said I should use instant coffee which makes me wonder if they aren't the same thing, or very similar. I've seen it on the King Arthur link but it seems fairly expensive for 2 oz's. Does anyone know if you can use instant coffee instead of expresso?
post #5 of 25
Thread Starter 
Do you find it in the coffee aisle? I went to Albertsons today and couldn't find anything that said espresso powder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

I buy it in the supermarket and use a little bit in everything chocolate I make including ganache. It boosts the chocolate taste. The brand in my supermarket is Medaglia D'Oro
post #6 of 25
Mine is in the coffee aisle with all the other coffees. Espresso is stronger than regular coffee but I don't see why you couldn't substitute
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettinashoe

Good question, Mickeebabe. I haven't been able to find it at any of the local grocers. I asked my local Starbucks and they said I should use instant coffee which makes me wonder if they aren't the same thing, or very similar. I've seen it on the King Arthur link but it seems fairly expensive for 2 oz's. Does anyone know if you can use instant coffee instead of expresso?



The espresso powder is very strong and very finely ground so you don't need to add that much and it easily dissolves in your batter. If you use instant coffee, you may have to grind it up a bit and use more to have the same enhancing affect. I have used the grocery store brands instead of the KAF brand, but the grounds were a bit chunky (wasn't really a powder). The 2 oz jar lasts quite a while, so its been worth it for me, especially when I order other stuff along with it.
post #8 of 25
I could not find mine in the grocery store either, so I went to the Health food market, and I found it there, also if you have a store that specializes in spices they will have it too.
It is instant espresso coffee, that I found and not the powder, but it is also a 2 oz bottle and I paid $5.49 the Brand is Ferrara.

Before I found it, I used regular coffee, just made it really strong.
God Makes all things Possible
Stressed Spelled Backwards Is Desserts.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Delicious-Delicacies/174954222544316
Reply
God Makes all things Possible
Stressed Spelled Backwards Is Desserts.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Delicious-Delicacies/174954222544316
Reply
post #9 of 25
King Arthur Flour carries it on their website. I think it really helps enhance the taste of chocolate in recipes.

Sherry G
Not all who wander are lost..
JRR Tolkien
Reply
Not all who wander are lost..
JRR Tolkien
Reply
post #10 of 25
Thread Starter 
Do you know how long it would take to get it if I order it from there? I need it by next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzygirl

You can usually find it in the coffee aisle of your grocery store. I prefer to order mine (along with other items) from King Arthur flour. The espresso powder will add some depth to your chocolate baked goods without imparting a coffee flavor. Here is a link to the KAF site: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/espresso-powder-2-oz

Rezzy
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeebabe

Do you know how long it would take to get it if I order it from there? I need it by next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzygirl

You can usually find it in the coffee aisle of your grocery store. I prefer to order mine (along with other items) from King Arthur flour. The espresso powder will add some depth to your chocolate baked goods without imparting a coffee flavor. Here is a link to the KAF site: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/espresso-powder-2-oz

Rezzy




They are usually really fast with their shipping. You shoudl be able to get it in time.

Sherry G
Not all who wander are lost..
JRR Tolkien
Reply
Not all who wander are lost..
JRR Tolkien
Reply
post #12 of 25
Starbucks now has what they call VIA instant coffee. It dissolves really well and has good flavor.
post #13 of 25
had to get mine at whole foods. or fresh market .. etc.. my local grocery didn,t carry it..
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by revskg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeebabe

Do you know how long it would take to get it if I order it from there? I need it by next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzygirl

You can usually find it in the coffee aisle of your grocery store. I prefer to order mine (along with other items) from King Arthur flour. The espresso powder will add some depth to your chocolate baked goods without imparting a coffee flavor. Here is a link to the KAF site: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/espresso-powder-2-oz

Rezzy




They are usually really fast with their shipping. You shoudl be able to get it in time.

Sherry G



Yes, thanks Sherry for answering. I agree, they are very quick with their shipping!
post #15 of 25
I couldn't find it at my regular supermarket either. I finally found it at a store that carries a lot of ethnic foods -- the entire label is in Italian!! Luckily, making coffee doesn't require much instruction! icon_wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cookies!
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cookies! › What is instant espresso powder? And where do I buy it?