Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Disasters › don't leave cake uncovered
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

don't leave cake uncovered - Page 3

post #31 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karema

I'm only allergic to cats because I have asthma and it flares up. So I can touch a cat but I have to wash my hands right away or use benedryl. And the reason why I responded the way I did because:
1. that looks like a lot of cake missing just for a cat taking a few bites.
2 She mentioned that she used ganache and I know that pets usually get sick if they eat too much and she didnt mention anything else about the cat
3. I just found the whole story strange

You all can't honestly tell me that you can't remember that someone on this site has created identities to write stories they knew were controversal and had everyone on here arguing all to find out the story was fake just to start trouble. That is why I said I hope it's not one of those again. And a lot of the times the dead give away was that they were newbies.

I am in no way saying that the OP is one of those I'm just saying that it has happened in the past. Just pointing out a fact.



That is a lot of cake missing, but I've seen cats eat a lot more than that, and a lot stranger than that, without getting sick. We had one cat that ate an entire foot-long sub, sweet peppers and all, just leaving the onions behind, without getting sick. I've seen another eat an entire loaf of bread except for the crusts--just a hole out of the middle of each slice--without getting sick. We have a cat now that will drink half a pot of tea on his own, once it cools down, and will stuff himself on, of all things, cabbage and vinegar if he gets the chance. So it doesn't seem that strange to me as a story.

Your claims about the asthma and cake seem strange to me, though, because I just can't see how the UNTOUCHED portion of the cake is supposed to trigger your asthma/allergy if being in the same house with the cat doesn't.

Yeah, I've noticed people starting threads just to get attention in the past. I've also noticed people jumping into threads to start trouble to get attention. I haven't particularly noticed that being new is a dead giveaway that a person is either type.

k8memphis--is there a cat that DOESN'T love boxes? *laughing* We make kitty condos out of shipping boxes for ours. A box knife and some sturdy tape, and there's a toy for the cat for MONTHS. And a large paper bag is apparently IRRESISTIBLE to our cats. Empty or not!
post #32 of 103
Karema is absolutly correct

We can sit here and be nice about the story..it is funny however, is ok if she wants to eat it with her kids but serve the cake at the party is a little to much for me.

So that means that if you are baking a cake for a customer and your cat or dog or rat or pig gets in it is ok to just cover up the piece or cut it and just decorate it and sell it to your customer?

I'm sorry that is just not sanitary.
"Life, like a mirror, never gives back more than we put into it"
Reply
"Life, like a mirror, never gives back more than we put into it"
Reply
post #33 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Nor do I find it unreasonable to expect other people to keep their noses out of what I do in my house for my family, when they're not even part of it.



If you choose to post your family business here, then you have no right to expect members to hold their tongues about their feelings on that business. By posting, you effectively rub their noses in that business.


Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

So I don't see why, if the people who were THERE were okay with it, someone a couple hundred miles away, sitting behind an anonymous keyboard, feels like they have the right to pass judgment on what happened.




You simply cannot expect that only those who agree with you will post responses.

H***, those who make posts that can be interpreted as being OK with this are "passing judgement", albeit positive judgements........so, should NO ONE POST A RESPONSE OR ONLY THOSE WHO AREN'T BOTHERED BY THE POST???????????

For some, it simply boggles the mind that the OP AND HER GUESTS would be OK with this.
Those offended by it have the right to that opinion and the right to express that opinion, just as much as the OP, her guests, and her forum supporters have the right to be OK with the scenario.

Everyone probably has a line that they won't cross--I hope.
For me, repairing a dinged cake is one thing, but trying to determine what portion of an animal eaten cake is OK to serve to others is another--in my mind, that's what trash cans and quick runs to WalMart are for.....

Rae
I love you, but your emergency is not my crisis!

They say that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.--Terry Pratchett (b.194
Reply
I love you, but your emergency is not my crisis!

They say that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.--Terry Pratchett (b.194
Reply
post #34 of 103
OK......First....the OP TOLD her family/guests what happened and they were OK with it. She didn't just serve them the cake without telling them what happened.

Second......she did NOT say it was OK for a cat to lick or eat a cake and then turn around and SELL that cake. She is NOT in business, she's just relaying a story that happened to her at her house to a family cake.

Can we PLEASE just let this go. icon_rolleyes.gif I feel like a referee now..........
post #35 of 103
Even if the cake was just for her family. It is totally unsanitary to serve a cake that a cat has licked over. How in the world can you say where the cat didn't lick and at what time. I think it's discusting. Yes it's funny but I would not have served that cake. It would have been tossed. Now, just my opinion.
post #36 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_n_pc

not in business - just saying, if I ever did think about it, I don't think I could do it - too stressful

Cake was for family and friends - way more cake than we needed - it just seemed to grow as I was doing it. I ended up cutting about a 1/3 of the cake off and then just turned it to the back. Cat just ate on the front - no one turned down cake or seemed squimish. Guess some people might have had issues with it.



Even she admits some people may have had ISSUES with it so why is it so wrong that I pointed it out? I just would be one of those people that had an ISSUE with it so what.
post #37 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

OK......First....the OP TOLD her family/guests what happened and they were OK with it. She didn't just serve them the cake without telling them what happened.

Second......she did NOT say it was OK for a cat to lick or eat a cake and then turn around and SELL that cake. She is NOT in business, she's just relaying a story that happened to her at her house to a family cake.

Can we PLEASE just let this go. icon_rolleyes.gif I feel like a referee now..........



DId the guests have a choice? I'm sure they were saying "we don't want any"

To say that she is not in business makes it ok? Are you in business? because if you are I would be a little concern that you think that's ok.
"Life, like a mirror, never gives back more than we put into it"
Reply
"Life, like a mirror, never gives back more than we put into it"
Reply
post #38 of 103
seriously?!!!! i just read this entire thread and am quite amused, lol. it takes all kinds to make a world, haha.

i personally think that is discusting, but diddo whoever said "each to their own" or however that went. as long as they knew before hand it was their choice. if they wanted to eat it, more power to them. my 10 month old puts worse in his mouth every day, lol. if you didn't tell them first, however, that would of course be a whole nuther story.

a bit of advice though, if you have pets int he house, you should definately cover the cake somehow. for that cake i would have suggested leaving the topper off and putting a box over it. if you are worried the cat will move the box, you can put just about anything heavy on top of it to serve as a weight. i do feel sorry for you that you did all that work and it got smashed. i would be so disapointed, but luckily everyone took it well and you have something to laugh about later.

and for my 2 cents, lol icon_smile.gif ... no offense, but leaving a cake out knowing you have pets is pretty much asking for it.
post #39 of 103
edit because it posted before I was through typing and previewing. See below
post #40 of 103
5, 4, 3, 2, 1.......boom! I predict this thread will be closed soon. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
post #41 of 103
joffy,

i don't usually get into the arguments but i couldn't pass up this one icon_smile.gif

i was just looking at your last post and you first said something about whether or not the guests knew beforehand... you SHOULD go back and read before passing judgement because she made it VERY clear that they did know... and as to your assuming they would be saying"i don't want any" you absolutely cannot know the opinions of every human being. that sounds extremely narrow minded. i personally think that is discusting but i could make a list of people who would have gladly ate it. sorry, but you can't speak for the entire population ...and again, if you would have actually read the whole post, it was very clear that they knew and ate it anyway, so of course once again you are just plain wrong icon_smile.gif
post #42 of 103
oh and i have to add to the part where you asked "do they have a choice" sorry but i have to laugh at that. that's halarious!!! i mean, seriously? what are you picturing? did you think she duct-taped their hadns and feet and forced caked down their throats via a tube? haha icon_smile.gif

EVERYONE has a choice, this is not a monarchy run by angry cakers, lol
post #43 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

OK......First....the OP TOLD her family/guests what happened and they were OK with it. She didn't just serve them the cake without telling them what happened.

Second......she did NOT say it was OK for a cat to lick or eat a cake and then turn around and SELL that cake. She is NOT in business, she's just relaying a story that happened to her at her house to a family cake.

Can we PLEASE just let this go. icon_rolleyes.gif I feel like a referee now..........



DId the guests have a choice? I'm sure they were saying "we don't want any"

To say that she is not in business makes it ok? Are you in business? because if you are I would be a little concern that you think that's ok.



OK Now I'm done being nice. You are obviously ignorant....read my first response to this thread. In it I clearly stated that........
PETS AND FOOD DO NOT MIX....now do you understand my position?

Yes I am in BUSINESS.... You'll NEVER find a CLEANER MORE SANITARY HOUSE THEN MINE.....and I have a separate licensed kitchen with a door and a lock on it. NOBODY but me is allowed in there, NOBODY EVER NO EXCEPTIONS, NOT EVEN MY DH.

Frankly I also find it gross that children are allowed to get to cakes that are being made for a paying client. This is why so many professionals are against licensing home bakers. They think all of us allow our kitchens to be taken over by pets and children. Stories like this just add fuel to their arguments.

I NEVER EVER SAID THAT I WAS OK WITH WHAT SHE DID. If she wants to serve the cake that's her choice and her business. I don't agree with it and if she were selling it I would have a bigger problem with it, but she's not selling it.


Hopefully you get it now.
post #44 of 103
I'm not saying that the guest did not know..that is why i said that they were saying "they didn't want any".

Listen, to I understand the story, it is funny and all..but we can't sit here and think that is all cute and forget that is simply nasty.

I have the rights to my opinion..and if someone that is license will defend the story then I have to question that.

DKELLY, thinks that I was being rude to her..that was not my intention. When you post your comments saying " Oh she told the guests" or "she is not in business" then it makes me think that they would do the same.


I'm Sorry to DKELLY....didn't mean to offend you.
"Life, like a mirror, never gives back more than we put into it"
Reply
"Life, like a mirror, never gives back more than we put into it"
Reply
post #45 of 103
Geeze this is sure getting "catty" hahahaha...

just for the talley books, I agree its disgusting to serve that cake to anyone....sorry it happened.....now make another.........bleeck petooey
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Disasters
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Disasters › don't leave cake uncovered