Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Candy Making & Pulled Sugar / Blown Sugar › candy melts--what did I do wrong?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

candy melts--what did I do wrong? - Page 2

post #16 of 20
I use candy melts alot. Usually if I run into problems it's related to temperature. If the chocolate is not the right temp when you mold(for me usually too cool) it will get a white film on it when it sets up. Also if you overheat the chocolate it will sieze up and crumble like it does when exposed to water. I also found that the cheaper brand that they sell in craft stores doesn't melt as nice or taste as good as Mercken's or Wilbur's.
HTH
post #17 of 20
If you leave the mold in the freezer/fridge too long, the chocolate will be compromized and will be brittle and will have that chalky whiteness you describe. It is not the chocolate.

Try this, take a Hershey bar or any chocolate, and put it in the fridge or freezer, the same thing will happen.
Sandy
Reply
Sandy
Reply
post #18 of 20
I used to have problems with my candy melts when I used the microwave to melt. I finally used a 40% off coupon at michaels and got the chocolate melter pot. It is worth every penny. You just pour all the melts in and stir a few times, it then has a setting where it just keeps them warm, so you don't have to worry about reheating. I think with the coupon it only cost me about $10.
Lori
post #19 of 20
I was also told that glass heats faster in the microwave than plastic. So I have taken to using plastic measuring cups in the microwave and that seems to work better at it not getting so hot.
post #20 of 20
I have melted chocolate 3 ways: double boiler, microwave, elect melting pot and the only times I had probs w/chocolate is using old chocolate or leaving in freezer too long.

When I first began molding choc, I was give a book and it states in there you will have probs if you do both of those things-use old choc or leave in freezer too long.
Sandy
Reply
Sandy
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Candy Making & Pulled Sugar / Blown Sugar › candy melts--what did I do wrong?