I actually read the whole 14 pages lol
Ok I may have some haters for this, but I do insert my wires directly into my cakes as long as it is not a fruitcake. The wires I buy are intended for cake use and I buy them at a well known cake shop that also inserts them directly into their cakes. They are covered in paper. I understand that IF it is illegal in your country to do so (like in the UK) then of course you shouldn't. For myself though, I do not believe that having paper covered wires in my cakes for less than 24 hours can cause poisoning. As for someone cutting them up and choking on them, I think that is totally unfeasible. They need to be cut with wire cutters so I don't see how a knife would get through them without being noticed. I tell my customers everything that needs to be removed from the cake including dowels, ribbon etc etc and any wires of course. There are ALOT of ways that a cake can be contaminated...most edible products can have a % of foreign matter in them before they are considered dangerous - even things like chocolate. I appreciate all the ideas you have given - and am not against using them at all if the circumstance called for it...but i do not believe that inserting my paper covered wires into my cakes will EVER come close to poisoning anyone.