We went through tons of names before we decided. I don't have suggestions on names as much as what to consider. BTW It helps of you have done a business plan because it makes you think more about the future not just the here and now. I will use my original name when it was just me(Chasitys Creative Cakes)in the examples for reference.
1. Will you only be doing cakes? If not then do not put cakes in your name. Ex. we do cakes, cookies, candies, brittles, fudges dipped strawberries etc. so Chasitys Creative Cakes may not lead people to you for your other goods.
2. If you use a street name it would be hard to move your shop to another location. Ex. Main Street Cakes now located on Pine Street.
3. Again if you use a county, state, city, area location in your name you will have the same problem if you decide later to move. Ex Texarkana City cakes located in Dallas.
4. If you use just your name will you someday want a partner in the future. Ex Chasitys Creative Cakes was only for me and now I have 2 partners now which I would never have thought would happen.
5. When you do decide on a name you can google it but it doesn't matter if someone else has that name only if they are in your area will it matter. Ex my business is called Edible Elegance with a tag line of making memories just a little sweeter. We are located in Texarkana, Texas/Arkansas and if you google Edible Elegance you will find one in spokan wa and waterford mi but that doesn't matter because they are not near us.
6. Our town is known as the twin citys or twice as nice so we considered making that part of our name or tag line but then again if we decided we needed to move we couldn't keep the same name without it being a little wierd.
7. Don't spell things in funny ways. Yes it may look cute but it will get old quickly Ex. Cakes4U or Crazy Cakez because everytime you are telling people your name and they need to write it down you will have to spell it out. And the same thing when you give people your website. Kinda like anyone who has a different spelling or different first or last name you know you you are that person when someone asks you your name and you start spelling it without even being asked
Lady: and what is your first name
Me: Chasity thats C-H-A-S-I-T-Y
Lady: and your last name?
Me: Grissom thats G-R-I-S-S-O-M
I thought it would get better when I got married but no it's the same
Lady: what is your new last name so we can change it in our system
Me: Russell that R-U-S-S-E-L-L
8. The best thing we did was write down a bunch of ideas and show them to friends and family they are the ones who brought ideas # 5 and 6 above.
9. Dont make it or your tag line too long.
Ex Our name is Edible Elegance our 1st tag line was We make your memories just a little bit sweeter. But we shortened it to Making Memories Just a Little Sweeter. Remember you will have to fit your name and tag line onto business cards, banners, ads (where you pay per word or inch)
10. Keep everything above in mind but above all else like the name you pick. If you like the funny spelling of Cakez then just know you will always have to spell it out.
HTH Sorry it's so long
Chasity Russell thats spelled C-H-A-S-I-T-Y R-U-S-S-E-L-L LOL