Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › flower Ideas for Hawiian themed wedding cake??? help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

flower Ideas for Hawiian themed wedding cake??? help

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I am goin to be making a Hawaiin themed wedding cake for a friend.
I want to do some flowers that might be fitting, I have done gum paste flowers and have the wilton gumpaste kit, but I really dont know a lot about flowers, what are some tropical / Hawaiian flowers that arent too complicated that I might be able to incorporate into the cake, any ideas???

icon_confused.gif
post #2 of 15
How about plumeria? I think that's the flower used in leis?
post #3 of 15
I made hibiscus using the wilton kit. They were my first flowers and it worked out ok. I used the orchid cutter (3 petals) cut out 2 of these, trimmed away one of the petals (now I had 5 petals in total) ruffled the edges and used the viening impression piece (not sure exactly what its called) to give some texture to the petals. I glued the two pieces together - evening out the spacing of the petals and let it dry over a hoop of paper towel (to give it shape)
Before it dried I poked a hole in the centre for the stamen to sit. I painted the after.
They weren't too bad.
HTH good luck
LL
Live well, love long, play hard and laugh... well, long and hard.
Reply
Live well, love long, play hard and laugh... well, long and hard.
Reply
post #4 of 15
I agree with the above posters. Hibiscus and Plumeria are classice Hawaiin flowers. They both bring Hawaii to mind immediately when I see them, especially the Hibiscus. Good luck! I wish someone would order a Hawaiin cake from me. I'd love to do one!
We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. -Immanual Kant
Reply
We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. -Immanual Kant
Reply
post #5 of 15
Here is a picture of a plumeria
LL
post #6 of 15
Does anyone have plumeria instructions. These look like what I've seen referred to as frangipani. Are they the same thing?
Housework makes you ugly.

It's marshmallow, not marshmellow! Aaargh, I have the strangest pet peeves!
Reply
Housework makes you ugly.

It's marshmallow, not marshmellow! Aaargh, I have the strangest pet peeves!
Reply
post #7 of 15
Yes, frangipani and plumeria are the same flower. thumbs_up.gif
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Does anyone have plumeria instructions. These look like what I've seen referred to as frangipani. Are they the same thing?



here you go:

http://www.fira.com.au/Frangipani.htm
post #9 of 15
Thank you SO much for that! I've been hunting high and low and all I've been able to find are directions for the buttercream version.
Housework makes you ugly.

It's marshmallow, not marshmellow! Aaargh, I have the strangest pet peeves!
Reply
Housework makes you ugly.

It's marshmallow, not marshmellow! Aaargh, I have the strangest pet peeves!
Reply
post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaat

I made hibiscus using the wilton kit. They were my first flowers and it worked out ok. I used the orchid cutter (3 petals) cut out 2 of these, trimmed away one of the petals (now I had 5 petals in total) ruffled the edges and used the viening impression piece (not sure exactly what its called) to give some texture to the petals. I glued the two pieces together - evening out the spacing of the petals and let it dry over a hoop of paper towel (to give it shape)
Before it dried I poked a hole in the centre for the stamen to sit. I painted the after.
They weren't too bad.
HTH good luck




bummer your pic isnt loading icon_sad.gif not sure if its just my computer maybe I will try later,thanks for the help!
post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

I agree with the above posters. Hibiscus and Plumeria are classice Hawaiin flowers. They both bring Hawaii to mind immediately when I see them, especially the Hibiscus. Good luck! I wish someone would order a Hawaiin cake from me. I'd love to do one!




Yeah it should be fun and a learning experience, I will have to post pics when its all done next month! Its her wedding present for a friend, so a free cake... cant be too picky, she is just letting me do whatever I want.. thats always fun too icon_smile.gif
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Does anyone have plumeria instructions. These look like what I've seen referred to as frangipani. Are they the same thing?



here you go:

http://www.fira.com.au/Frangipani.htm



thank you! I had been trying to figure those out, and those are great instructions for those, all I could find on those was a really bad you tube video.... Thank You!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
post #13 of 15
Why not use real orchids? I made a wedding cake for a couple who eloped to Hawaii, and then had a reception for friends and family in Massachusetts.
Jennifer
Reply
Jennifer
Reply
post #14 of 15
kaat - THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU! I need to make some hibiscus this evening or tomorrow morning and yours are gorgeous and I (for once) understand the directions just from reading it. (I'm a very visual learner!) Now I just have to make sure I have that orchid cutter...

Andrea
post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer1970

Why not use real orchids? I made a wedding cake for a couple who eloped to Hawaii, and then had a reception for friends and family in Massachusetts.



yeah. that would be the easy route to go, but I need to practice my gumpaste skills and this is a wedding present and also good practice for me, I need the experience. This is my first wedding cake ever, I am being alittle ambitious, but I want it all to be things that I made by hand. Im sure after this whole thing is said and done I will never want to do all this again icon_lol.gif but its for one of my best friends so I dont mind...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › flower Ideas for Hawiian themed wedding cake??? help