Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › MFF Information
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MFF Information - Page 4

post #46 of 126
I've had really good luck finding boxes of unflavored gelatin packets at the grocery store with the jello, usually under Knox brand, but some stores also have a store brand. Someone commenting on Michelle's posted recipe here on CC had kindly recommended looking for glycerine in the pharmacy section - sold in bottles as a skin protectant. HTH
"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning the devil says, 'Oh crap, she's up.'"
Reply
"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning the devil says, 'Oh crap, she's up.'"
Reply
post #47 of 126
Hi I found the glycerine at AC Moores today
yes its a wilton product.
And i found the knox at the grocery store thanks all and wish me luck I sure will need it..
post #48 of 126
ok yay!!! I made the fondant it was pretty easy..
Now for the test to see if I can roll it out and cover my cake with it.
This will be my first time covering the whole cake with fondant.
Can anyone tell me???
Using this recipe can I make figures with it ? and how long will it take to harden up?
I use the wilton fondant for my figures. and sometimes they don't harden up very well.
And no i didn't add anything to the fondant.
I can't run out so I have to use what I have in my house. which isn't much..

well any tips would be great, this cake is due sunday,,
thanks
post #49 of 126
I usually make my decorations, bows, etc. with Wilton fondant. It saves on the good stuff icon_lol.gif I've never made any of the deco things with MFF but I'm sure you could.
everyday is a good day, some are just better than others.
Reply
everyday is a good day, some are just better than others.
Reply
post #50 of 126
one more thing can i use BC frosting to make decorations right on the cake???
post #51 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by metweety6

one more thing can i use BC frosting to make decorations right on the cake???



I don't see why not. I've see cakes with fondant and BC decoration. I will be doing some this week.
Darlita
Die-Hard Scratch Baker

Time...and baking heals all wounds.
Your only competition should be yourself.
Reply
Darlita
Die-Hard Scratch Baker

Time...and baking heals all wounds.
Your only competition should be yourself.
Reply
post #52 of 126
thanks ... my cake came out ok. Have a few more things to do to it ,
i put it in the fridge ..I am praying that it will be fine till sunday . hope to post the pictures when I 'm done. thanks for the help and tips everyone..
I love this site..
post #53 of 126
I've been using the wrong amount of gelatin this whole time! Only 1 tB...but I've made it multiple times and it's always great! oh well......
post #54 of 126
Thread Starter 
If it works for you, keep doing it. As any who has made any type of fondant knows, fondant is always an experiment. Something almost always has to be adjusted based on the type of liquid used, the weather, and temperature.

Isn't fondant fun?! icon_smile.gif

Michele
Don't get tired of doing what is good. Don't get discouraged and give up, for we will reap a harvest of blessing at the appropriate time.
Galations 6:9, NLT

Author of "The Sugar Fix" cookbook and "Bloomin' Garden" DVD.
Reply
Don't get tired of doing what is good. Don't get discouraged and give up, for we will reap a harvest of blessing at the appropriate time.
Galations 6:9, NLT

Author of "The Sugar Fix" cookbook and "Bloomin' Garden" DVD.
Reply
post #55 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

If it works for you, keep doing it. As any who has made any type of fondant knows, fondant is always an experiment. Something almost always has to be adjusted based on the type of liquid used, the weather, and temperature.

Isn't fondant fun?! icon_smile.gif

Michele



I absolutely LOVE this recipe. I use the one that calls for 3 T. of butter, glycerin and gelatin. It's my favorite of the ones posted on cc. I'm not sure if it's the "updated" version or not but it's the one that I prefer. I just want to say THANK YOU for sharing this recipe. It's "hands down" the best fondant I've ever used or tasted.
everyday is a good day, some are just better than others.
Reply
everyday is a good day, some are just better than others.
Reply
post #56 of 126
Bah! Cursing myself for not looking for this thread before making the fondant! I left the liquid for quite some time, it was slightly warmer than room temp and I figured that was "luke warm" but it took a lot more than 3.5 lbs of PS - I thought it might since I added about a 1/2 tsp of gel food colouring but I added probably 2 more cups than that and now I'm stressed that when I come back to it tomorrow it's going to be hard as a rock! icon_cry.gif
post #57 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilkey

Bah! Cursing myself for not looking for this thread before making the fondant! I left the liquid for quite some time, it was slightly warmer than room temp and I figured that was "luke warm" but it took a lot more than 3.5 lbs of PS - I thought it might since I added about a 1/2 tsp of gel food colouring but I added probably 2 more cups than that and now I'm stressed that when I come back to it tomorrow it's going to be hard as a rock! icon_cry.gif



Just "nuke" it for a FEW seconds and knead the h@%## out of it icon_lol.gif I did this once and when I went to use it I kneaded about a handful at a time then kneaded it all together. It made it so much easier to do a little at a time.
everyday is a good day, some are just better than others.
Reply
everyday is a good day, some are just better than others.
Reply
post #58 of 126
What brand of grocery store white chocolate has anyone had good success with? I am not near a city and want to use the white chocolate version when I need it last minute...without having to order anything special. I tried using Hershey's White Chips and even though the texture was wonderful...the flavor was a little off. I tasted the white chips alone and it was due to that. It was just what I had on hand.
post #59 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdrsolo

What brand of grocery store white chocolate has anyone had good success with? I am not near a city and want to use the white chocolate version when I need it last minute...without having to order anything special. I tried using Hershey's White Chips and even though the texture was wonderful...the flavor was a little off. I tasted the white chips alone and it was due to that. It was just what I had on hand.



I use Baker's White Chocolate squares. The taste is absolutely wonderful. I found mine at Wal-Mart. I never use the white chips anymore after making it with this white chocolate. I use the 6 ounce box for each batch.
everyday is a good day, some are just better than others.
Reply
everyday is a good day, some are just better than others.
Reply
post #60 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdrsolo

What brand of grocery store white chocolate has anyone had good success with? I am not near a city and want to use the white chocolate version when I need it last minute...without having to order anything special. I tried using Hershey's White Chips and even though the texture was wonderful...the flavor was a little off. I tasted the white chips alone and it was due to that. It was just what I had on hand.



I use Baker's White Chocolate squares. The taste is absolutely wonderful. I found mine at Wal-Mart. I never use the white chips anymore after making it with this white chocolate. I use the 6 ounce box for each batch.



Thank you, exactly the info I was looking for! I will pick some up next time I go there. Do you use the Bakers squares for the regular chocolate version as well? If so, do you use semisweet? Thanks a bunch!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Recipes
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › MFF Information