Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cookies! › Glace' vs. RI?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Glace' vs. RI?

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
I've only used Antonia's RI recipe so far. I've been reading a lot of the past posts and also see info about Toba's glace'.

What's the difference? Why would you choose one over the other? What are the pro's and con's of the two?
post #2 of 30
I use a slight modification of Toba's Glace. It's a good icing for those who don't like meringue powder and it sets up firm to the touch, but not hard. I love this icing because I can make as little, or as much, as I need. I just keep the proportions of liquids to the powdered sugar the same. This is where the modification comes into play, as well as adding brite white food color to the icing. I usually end up adding more powdered sugar than the recipe calls for, so it is more of an icing than a glace. If I keep adding powdered sugar, I can get a good consistency for detail work. (This is what I used to do the easter egg cookies I most recently posted).
The pessimist complains about the wind;
the optimist expects it to change;
the realist adjusts the sails.
Reply
The pessimist complains about the wind;
the optimist expects it to change;
the realist adjusts the sails.
Reply
post #3 of 30
Oh my gosh Gemini!!! Those eggs are gorgeous!! That leads me to a question though. I use glace as well and I found that using a stiffer icing and smaller tip was PAINFUL!! Do you find that it's really hard to pipe when it's thick like that, or am I missing something??

As to the original post, I use glace as well. I don't like the meringue taste so I skip royal. However, royal will hold shapes where a glace won't. If you're wanting to pipe leaves and the like, royal is the way to go. However, Gemini and kneadacookie prove that you don't need to. Glace works great for them.
post #4 of 30
I agree with everything that's been said. For me, glace' gives more "playing" time, whereas RI crusts and dries very quickly. The big difference, aside from taste, is in doing dimensional work.

Also, I just have to mention that when I saw the subject heading, I heard a boxing bell -- DING! DING!. Glace' vs. RI championship bout. Twelve rounds for the title! icon_lol.gif
post #5 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstar_pilot

I use glace as well and I found that using a stiffer icing and smaller tip was PAINFUL!! Do you find that it's really hard to pipe when it's thick like that, or am I missing something??



Usually, I try not to do a tremendous amount of detail work, because it is hard on the hand. However, for some reason, the eggs didn't cause much problem for me. I took my time...I finished decorating 32 eggs in about 3 hours. I know that if I had piped that much in black icing, it would've been a different story! But don't ask me why a thick pastel icing was easier to pipe than a thick black icing.

Thanks for the nice comments on the eggs!
The pessimist complains about the wind;
the optimist expects it to change;
the realist adjusts the sails.
Reply
The pessimist complains about the wind;
the optimist expects it to change;
the realist adjusts the sails.
Reply
post #6 of 30
So do you have to do pipe an outline or not? I am trying to grasp this and it does not compute with me. I guess the best thing to do is to just make some glace and try. On a different thread, someone mentioned NOT piping the outline. I have read that more experienced cookie people can flood a cookie without a piped line. I am amazed by this! I thought cookies without piping were fondant covered. I am so intrigued!
post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlotusninjagrl

So do you have to do pipe an outline or not? I am trying to grasp this and it does not compute with me. I guess the best thing to do is to just make some glace and try. On a different thread, someone mentioned NOT piping the outline. I have read that more experienced cookie people can flood a cookie without a piped line. I am amazed by this! I thought cookies without piping were fondant covered. I am so intrigued!



I usually use a #4 tip to pipe a line of icing around the border of the cookie. I then immediately pipe more icing in the area using a zip zag pattern. I use a tapered off-set spatula to smooth out the icing over the entire area. I'll try to attach a photo....a picture's worth a thousand words!

Edited to add: the line of icing around the border makes it easier to get a nice edge when smoothing out the icing. It's something to push up against. Hope that makes sense!
LL
The pessimist complains about the wind;
the optimist expects it to change;
the realist adjusts the sails.
Reply
The pessimist complains about the wind;
the optimist expects it to change;
the realist adjusts the sails.
Reply
post #8 of 30
I'm really enjoying all the threads about cookie masking lately! Everyone's hints and pictures are so inspiring!!

Isn't it funny how people decorate so differently? I use a modified version of Antonia74's RI and I outline and fill in one step. I fill in concentric circles.

I've tried using an offset spatula, but I can't seem to make it work. I've never tried Toba's glace - maybe I should give it a go? Do I make it the same consistency as I would for RI? How long does it take to harden enough to stack/wrap?


Bonnie
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniebakes

I'm really enjoying all the threads about cookie masking lately! Everyone's hints and pictures are so inspiring!!

Isn't it funny how people decorate so differently? I use a modified version of Antonia74's RI and I outline and fill in one step. I fill in concentric circles.

I've tried using an offset spatula, but I can't seem to make it work. I've never tried Toba's glace - maybe I should give it a go? Do I make it the same consistency as I would for RI? How long does it take to harden enough to stack/wrap?


Bonnie



Your cookies are so beautiful, it's hard to believe you'd want to mess with success! (I especially love your fish cookies). I outline and fill in one step too, so I only use one consistency. and when I'm doing round cookies, I do the concentric circles, too! My RI experience is so limited, I can't say if they should be of the same consistency, but I would guess yes. Toba's dries pretty firm overnight. I would wrap, but not stack. I would wait a full 24 hours before stacking.
The pessimist complains about the wind;
the optimist expects it to change;
the realist adjusts the sails.
Reply
The pessimist complains about the wind;
the optimist expects it to change;
the realist adjusts the sails.
Reply
post #10 of 30
Wow! Seeing that picture definitely makes me doubt myself. Maybe I'm using too much icing? That looks like hardly any icing to me. My fill is almost touching itself, so I don't have to smooth anything afterwards, it just bleeds into itself.

I guess I'm not sure there is a right way and a wrong way really, although I'm so new at this I do sort of wonder.
post #11 of 30
I just love Antonia's recipe! It's so smooth and tastes good. And the end product comes out so shiny and beautiful!
post #12 of 30
I rarely do cookies but you are all inspiring me to do it more often.

GeminiRJ

I just want to clarify, you use the same consistancy for the outline as you do to flood? Is it thin?

thanks
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannie

I rarely do cookies but you are all inspiring me to do it more often.

GeminiRJ

I just want to clarify, you use the same consistancy for the outline as you do to flood? Is it thin?

thanks



Yes, I only use the one consistency. I add more powdered sugar than what the recipe calls for. The closest I can describe it as a thick Elmer's glue. You want it thick enough so it doesn't drip off the edges of the cookie when you pipe the line around the border. When I go to do the final details and outlines, I thicken the remaining icing even more. For black, I usually combine all the leftover bits of color and then add black until I get it to the darkness I want.
The pessimist complains about the wind;
the optimist expects it to change;
the realist adjusts the sails.
Reply
The pessimist complains about the wind;
the optimist expects it to change;
the realist adjusts the sails.
Reply
post #14 of 30
I have recently switched to this style of decorating........outlining and filling all at once with the same "glue" consistency and then thickening slightly for added details. My question is this.........if you want 2 colors in the base of the cookie.......like in a couple of GeminiRJ's Easter eggs that had striped base layers.......can you still do it this way? Don't the colors bleed into each other with no hard outline? Do you have to do the two colors at 2 different times with a drying cycle in between?
Oh.....and as to the op's question......I have been using Antonia's RI exclusively, since my first bought with the glace. Although, now that I see more tips from Gemini, I may try it one more time. I just have a hard time with bubbles in the glace and not with the Antonina's. And yes, I do let it sit......but it just seems to keep a grainy texture on the finished product for me. I'll have to experiment some more.
Heather
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffe11

I have recently switched to this style of decorating........outlining and filling all at once with the same "glue" consistency and then thickening slightly for added details. My question is this.........if you want 2 colors in the base of the cookie.......like in a couple of GeminiRJ's Easter eggs that had striped base layers.......can you still do it this way? Don't the colors bleed into each other with no hard outline? Do you have to do the two colors at 2 different times with a drying cycle in between?
Oh.....and as to the op's question......I have been using Antonia's RI exclusively, since my first bought with the glace. Although, now that I see more tips from Gemini, I may try it one more time. I just have a hard time with bubbles in the glace and not with the Antonina's. And yes, I do let it sit......but it just seems to keep a grainy texture on the finished product for me. I'll have to experiment some more.
Heather



When two colors meet, I will do the lighter color first. Usually by the time I've finished all the cookies with that color, the icing has set enough to go back and add the color meeting it. If there is a really light color meeting a dark color, I will allow more drying time.

As for bubbles...I never have had a bubble in the icing that has been smoothed out with the off-set spatula. The only time I get a bubble is when there is a puddle of icing, so I try to make it as thin as possible. This isn't always possible, and the bubble results. I save a bit of icing to fill the hole and then smooth it over with my finger. It isn't perfect, but it works pretty good.
The pessimist complains about the wind;
the optimist expects it to change;
the realist adjusts the sails.
Reply
The pessimist complains about the wind;
the optimist expects it to change;
the realist adjusts the sails.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cookies!
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cookies! › Glace' vs. RI?