Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › what would you charge for this cake?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

what would you charge for this cake? - Page 4  

post #46 of 58
Thread Starter 
I am truly sorry if I have offended anyone by asking my question. I have a standard price for my bc and fondant cakes, but because this was something completely new for me, I was just asking what everyone would charge in their area. I realize that pricing changes depending on where you are located, etc. I am in a very small rural community, with no other bakeries around less than an hour's drive away so there is no one local to compare too (other than the grocery store and you can't really compare since they only do sheet/rounds). For those of you who have responded, thank you so much for sharing your info.
post #47 of 58
The cake was 8 and 10", correct? So that serves about 48, give or take a few, by party serving standards. At your cost of $40 for the cake (which we acknowledge now was bad...lol), came out to about 83 cents per serving. I geneally price per serving regardless of the design, and adjust accordingly. Basically, it would have been about $200 to $215. Maybe a wee bit lower depending on time for accent work, but probably not more. $4.50 for a custom made, scratch, high quality ingredients, head turning cake....perfectly reasonable in my opinion. A fancy restaurant may charge more for a piece of their signature, most likely mass produced, frozen and shipped to 80 locations, piece of cake.
post #48 of 58
Actually, probably more! I'd say $5.00 per serving, and adjust from there. Hmmm.....maybe even more. I don't know, but that's a start.
post #49 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswendel

I am truly sorry if I have offended anyone by asking my question. I have a standard price for my bc and fondant cakes, but because this was something completely new for me, I was just asking what everyone would charge in their area. I realize that pricing changes depending on where you are located, etc. I am in a very small rural community, with no other bakeries around less than an hour's drive away so there is no one local to compare too (other than the grocery store and you can't really compare since they only do sheet/rounds). For those of you who have responded, thank you so much for sharing your info.



I don't think you offended anybody. This is a place to ask questions. This is in it's very nature, a topic that can become quite heated. Lots of opinions, lots of advice. Don't refrain from asking questions! icon_smile.gif
post #50 of 58
k8memphis yes, it is sad, but that is what they start around. you can check out our most talented decorator at www.tarascakes.com she was voted best cake in mississippi. she has also been on MTV's My Super Sweet Sixteen. I happen to call Tara one of my best friends, and I am the reason she upped her prices two years ago. It's just a hard market. We all love being creative and not doing cookie cutter crap, but sometimes in order to have fun we take a little cut. Once again, not saying it's right!
Proud Army wife to Sgt. Roy Freeman currently serving at Camp Taji, Iraq and mother to Trace 11-22-06 and Jon Thomas 2-10-08
http://dreamcakery.blogspot.com
Proud Army wife to Sgt. Roy Freeman currently serving at Camp Taji, Iraq and mother to Trace 11-22-06 and Jon Thomas 2-10-08
http://dreamcakery.blogspot.com
post #51 of 58
Oh, man! Here we go again. If the local bakery is saying $200, charge that, unless you are wanting to get some of their business by charging less, or unless you aren't eligible to be selling cakes (i.e. meeting state requirements, in which case you shouldn't sell at all). This illustrates my point...you should know what your competition is charging before you start selling, so do your research! But, it's never too late to charge more if you find out later. You might lose some of your existing customers, but most will still want your product because they know how great it is. I've been gradually raising my prices as I learn and perfect new techniques and I just tell people that ingredients have gone up, and basically, my work is worth more now that I've taken classes and improved my skills. I think that's only fair. It would have been easier to start out charging $5 a serving, but when I look back on cakes from a few years ago, they weren't worth that kind of money. For some of us, it's hard to charge a lot of money, esp. to our friends, but, like someone else said, if you aren't making enough $ at it, you soon lose your motivation to stay up all night making a great cake!
~Mandy~
~Mandy~
post #52 of 58
I just started doing sculpted cakes (and that would include topsy turvy cakes) and rather than go by a "per slice" cost, I've established a "per hour" cost. That is much more in line with the actual value of the cake.
This may not be what everyone else would do, but for me it works and I find that in the end I'm not underpricing like I used to!
"Mmmmmmmmm donuts." - Homer Simpson
"Mmmmmmmmm donuts." - Homer Simpson
post #53 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandysue

Oh, man! Here we go again. If the local bakery is saying $200, charge that, unless you are wanting to get some of their business by charging less, or unless you aren't eligible to be selling cakes (i.e. meeting state requirements, in which case you shouldn't sell at all). This illustrates my point...you should know what your competition is charging before you start selling, so do your research! But, it's never too late to charge more if you find out later. You might lose some of your existing customers, but most will still want your product because they know how great it is. I've been gradually raising my prices as I learn and perfect new techniques and I just tell people that ingredients have gone up, and basically, my work is worth more now that I've taken classes and improved my skills. I think that's only fair. It would have been easier to start out charging $5 a serving, but when I look back on cakes from a few years ago, they weren't worth that kind of money. For some of us, it's hard to charge a lot of money, esp. to our friends, but, like someone else said, if you aren't making enough $ at it, you soon lose your motivation to stay up all night making a great cake!

I completely agree! I am a graduate of pastry school, but I really didn't get into cake decorating until I had my two year old. And when I found this site boy did I fall in love! Just looking at cakes I did a year ago makes me blush, but we all start somewhere. It is really tough not to kill yourself in the beginning by throwing in lots of freebies that you know will make the cake look "finished" and please the customer. You've got to find a middle ground or you will work yourself to death with nothing to show for it but an upset family. God Bless and good luck!
Proud Army wife to Sgt. Roy Freeman currently serving at Camp Taji, Iraq and mother to Trace 11-22-06 and Jon Thomas 2-10-08
http://dreamcakery.blogspot.com
Proud Army wife to Sgt. Roy Freeman currently serving at Camp Taji, Iraq and mother to Trace 11-22-06 and Jon Thomas 2-10-08
http://dreamcakery.blogspot.com
post #54 of 58
I'm not looking to take business from any of the local bakeries. Just something I wanted to do for my family and maybe make some money here and there. Therefore, no reason to do research because I'm not at a point where I want to make a business of taking business from the local baker's business. What I really wanted to do and MAKE money was/is wedding cakes! But after reading all the mess other CC'ers go through with there brides/mom's/grandmother's I'm reconsidering. I have turned down certain cakes because some ppl dont want to pay more than $20 for a nice cake. For that amount it probably wont even cover the cost of ingredients.

Now I'm not one or should I say I have NEVER taken offense to any comments that any one has ever posted but I must say your opinion Mandysue of "If you dont meet state requirments then you shouldn't be selling at all" is totally off base. Now that is just MY opinion. There are HUNDREDS of other CC'ers that arent liscensed and they make cakes and just because they dont go through the state doesnt mean they dont met some kind of standards. And that's just my HO.
I smile because I don't know what the hell is going on.
I smile because I don't know what the hell is going on.
post #55 of 58
Jamie85364-Oh yes bad pricing on my part. Yikes .83 cents for a slice of cake..yeah that was a bonehead move on my part. I loved this cake! I was/am really proud of it. I'll have to keep making cakes in order to feel like I can price like most of the CC'ers on here.
I smile because I don't know what the hell is going on.
I smile because I don't know what the hell is going on.
post #56 of 58
Quote:
Quote:

Now I'm not one or should I say I have NEVER taken offense to any comments that any one has ever posted but I must say your opinion Mandysue of "If you dont meet state requirments then you shouldn't be selling at all" is totally off base. Now that is just MY opinion. There are HUNDREDS of other CC'ers that arent liscensed and they make cakes and just because they dont go through the state doesnt mean they dont met some kind of standards. And that's just my HO.



Well, that is an interesting stance.
~Mandy~
~Mandy~
post #57 of 58
As your's....
I smile because I don't know what the hell is going on.
I smile because I don't know what the hell is going on.
post #58 of 58
..time to call it a day! Thanks everyone..this topic is now closed!
Whatever you do, do with all your heart!
Whatever you do, do with all your heart!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
This thread is locked  
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › what would you charge for this cake?