- 2,137 Posts. Joined 11/2007
- Location: Nebraska
- Select All Posts By This User
- topicAlmondtagged by System, 10/31/12
- topicBananatagged by System, 10/31/12
- topicBlack Forest Caketagged by System, 10/31/12
- topicButterscotchtagged by System, 10/31/12
- topicCappuccinotagged by System, 10/31/12
- topicCaramel Appletagged by System, 10/31/12
- topicCarrot Cakestagged by System, 10/31/12
- topicCinnamon Rollstagged by System, 10/31/12
- topicCitrustagged by System, 10/31/12
- topicCoconuttagged by System, 10/31/12More
- topicCookietagged by System, 10/31/12
- topicDreamsicletagged by System, 10/31/12
- topicEspressotagged by System, 10/31/12
- topicIrish Creamtagged by System, 10/31/12
- topicRumtagged by System, 10/31/12
- topicWeddingtagged by System, 10/31/12
Related Forum Threads
- Making my own wedding cake Last post on 11/13/13 at 8:24am in Cake Decorating
- Overreacting bride? Last post on 12/19/12 at 10:12am in Cake Decorating
- Wedding cake with lines on it help! Last post on 11/29/12 at 8:57am in Cake Decorating
- In Desparate Need of Ideas Last post on 12/10/12 at 5:58am in Cake Decorating
- How would you do this design? Last post on 11/25/12 at 9:54am in Cake Decorating
Last edited: 6/9/11
- All-Nighter CookiesLast edited: 12/29/09
- Coconut Cake with Ginger Lime CurdLast edited: 12/3/09
- Award Winning Pineapple Rum CakeLast edited: 10/24/09
- Amaretto Almond CakeLast edited: 6/13/11
After many stressful trips trying to deliver stacked cakes, I came across the website for cake stackers. With a huge wedding cake order looming, I figured it was the perfect time to try it. I was...
Bought it a Kohls and got 100$ off plus 20% off plus $40 mail in rebate. So for a first time stand up mixer I was very excited and hoping to have it for 20 years like everyone says. There is a...
I really enjoyed this caddy, with it's many little compartments, places for your tips, & slots for knives on the sides, UNTIL I saw it's BIG MOMMA! The one with the wheels! And the extra big...
I have the large double bladed one and I use it on every cake now! I used to stress out trying to make sure all my layers were level and to the same height for all layers of the cake. The ruler...
This mixer is my workhorse. I make everything in it. Thick glossy meringue buttercreams, ice creams, batters, and bread dough. I bought this when living in the Outback of New South Wales Australia,...
HELP! Gourmet flavors???? - Page 400post #5986 of 63662/5/12 at 7:59amThanks for the tips MacsMom!I am inspired by my Grandma who was the best baker I've known. My wish is to now inspire & create warm memories for my Grandchildren.I am inspired by my Grandma who was the best baker I've known. My wish is to now inspire & create warm memories for my Grandchildren.
Cake Central Top Pickspost #5987 of 63662/5/12 at 10:24am[quote="MacsMom"]Quote:Originally Posted by bobwonderbunsQuote:Originally Posted by steffla
Unless I'm making a HUGE cake, I half the recipe -- one cake mix/ 4 egg whites... It's at that point I sub 2 whole eggs for 4 egg whites.
Now the chocolate WASC is a whole 'nother animal. I don't like and and I don't use it. I prefer the 3D durable chocolate cake recipe here: http://cakecentral.com/recipe/durable-cake-for-3d-in-chocolate
I use Rebecca Sutterby's who says to use 6 whole eggs or 8 egg whites, so when I half the recipe I use 3 whole eggs. When I quarter the recipe, though, I use just one egg.
I need to try that choc cake recipe! Though I don't have a problem with mine (I now just add a tbls of instant coffee and 2 tbls of cocoa powder, using all water for the liquid), I always want to try recipes recommended by others.
So macsmom.....I am trying to understand what changes you have made with your chocolate cake?...you don't use the chocolate WASC recipe anymore? Do you just use the regular WASC with a choc mix, all water, and then the instant coffee and cocoa powder and 6 whole eggs?
And when you use the yellow cake mix now do you use the 6 whole eggs instead of the 8 egg whites or do you just add the extra egg white?
Sorry for the confusion but I have found your advice is always welcomed!post #5988 of 63662/6/12 at 8:00amSo macsmom.....I am trying to understand what changes you have made with your chocolate cake?...you don't use the chocolate WASC recipe anymore? Do you just use the regular WASC with a choc mix, all water, and then the instant coffee and cocoa powder and 6 whole eggs?
I make the WASC with chocolate cake mix (and chocolate pudding), but I add the instant coffee and cocoa powder.
I use 6 whole eggs whenever I can to save cost, but if it's a cake that has ingredients that may it more dense (like caramel, juice, or alcohol) I use 8 egg whites. If it has to be a white cake, then I use DH white with 9 egg whites.
I did forget to add that when I use DH cake mixes I reduce the sugar by 2 or 3 tbls. Too much sugar causes cakes to sink, and since I've hadrouble with DH cakes sinking in the past I've found that reducing the sugar in the WASC recipe helps.
I was just dumbfounded when I saw that not only did BC reduce their volume, but also increased the price! I was having to buy an extra cake mix to fill my pans enough when baking in a pan larger than 9". In pans under 9", the decreased amount of batter wasn't as noticeable.post #5989 of 63662/6/12 at 9:33amWow I didn't even realize BC had made changes! Thanks for all of the helpful info, I will make a note of it!post #5990 of 63662/6/12 at 10:45ampost #5991 of 63662/6/12 at 12:00pmpost #5992 of 63662/6/12 at 8:59pmpost #5993 of 63662/7/12 at 7:17amLaurabeth, I am still laughing! As a follower of this thread, you had me wondering for awhile just what inside joke I must have missed out on. Then my second thought was perhaps a new cake term that I was unfamiliar with. I really need a new recipe for a good Dillinger.... (That's an awful feeling sometimes when you hit the submit button and it flies off into the ether. I've sure had it happen to me!) Thanks for the fun chuckle today.
JanIf you have knowledge, let others light their candles on it.
Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby.If you have knowledge, let others light their candles on it.
Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby.post #5994 of 63662/7/12 at 7:19amTo remind y'all, the RECIPE LINKS ARE HERE thread has ALL the recipes and MORE! Check the info in my signature to find it.To find "THE RECIPE LINKS ARE HERE" thread, click on "Forums", then "Recipes" and it's the first sticky. Latest updates are on (the bottom of) page 10 here: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-625803-135.htmlTo find "THE RECIPE LINKS ARE HERE" thread, click on "Forums", then "Recipes" and it's the first sticky. Latest updates are on (the bottom of) page 10 here: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-625803-135.htmlpost #5995 of 63662/7/12 at 9:06amI just love this place! Even when I leave the forums for a while, always come back to this onepost #5996 of 63662/7/12 at 9:27ampost #5997 of 63662/10/12 at 1:10pmpost #5998 of 63662/10/12 at 1:36pmI just made a strawberry cake but it came out super dense. Tasted awesome but the texture was didn't have a nice crumb.
Here is the recipe I used.
1 box white cake mix
1 c flour
1 c sugar
1/2 t salt
1 pkg strawberry jello
1 cup strawberry puree - used frozen strawberries
1/3 c water
1 cup sour cream
2 T oil
Next time I think I will leave out the jello and use egg whites instead of whole eggs...I'm considering leaving out the 2 T of oil too.
Flavor was fine just need to work on getting a better texture.post #5999 of 63662/10/12 at 9:18pmThe best I've tried so far is, rather than the 2-2/3 cups liquid, use 1-1/3 c strawberry drink mix (pureed strawberries for daquiries or margaritas; I used Finest Call brand) and 1-1/3 cups diet lemon lime soda.
Add an extra egg white (9 whites total).
For some reason, it's really hard to get a good texture with strawberry cake! I've been wanting to try 2-2/3 cups melted strawberry ice-cream with extra strawberry extract.post #6000 of 63662/10/12 at 9:40pmI also have been playing around with getting a good texture and tasting strawberry cake. I recently tried adding an additional 1/2 tsp. of baking soda to the recipe. I thought it was worth the try to see if the additional strawberries and/or syrup were making the batter too acidic. It seemed to help quite a bit.
- HELP! Gourmet flavors????
- All-Nighter Cookies
Currently, there are 1308 Active Users (30 Members and 1278 Guests)
- › Black Forest Cake Whipped Cream 1 minute ago
- › How do I make a rich fruit cake without alcohol? 8 minutes ago
- › Best time to decorate my cakes? 11 minutes ago
- › Volunteer work for advertisement 12 minutes ago
- › My 6-9-12inch tiered cakes look too wide? 31 minutes ago
- › Is this rude or normal behavior? 44 minutes ago
- › things NOT to ask/say to a baker! 56 minutes ago
- › How much do people think a cake costs to make??? 58 minutes ago
- › Best Store Red Fondant 1 hour, 1 minute ago
- › Jokes in cake form... 1 hour, 49 minutes ago
- › Cake Stackers Support System by Ameeta
- › KitchenAid KSM150PS Artisan Series 5-Quart Mixer by melissamc
- › Wilton 409-623 Ultimate Tool Caddy 3-Level Cake-Decorating... by blwilley
- › Agbay Single Cake Leveler by SherylB
- › Breville BEM800XL Scraper Mixer Pro 5-Quart Die-Cast Stand Mixer by QuirkySylvia
- › Dinkydoodle Designs Airbrushing Kit by Debbie white
- › Wilton White-White Icing Color by glassfish
- › KitchenAid KM25G0XWH Commercial Series 5-Quart Stand Mixer, White by claire donnelly
- › Fondx Rolled Fondant Icing, Virgin White by bundlesofjoy
- › Norpro 3919 Mini Cheesecake Pan by dianadors
- › Apple Tea Cake by HappyCake10609
- › Sophia the First cookie cake topper by Montrealconfections
- › Gingerbread Haunted House For Halloween by Hanielas
- › Delicious Crusting SNOW WHITE Buttercream /... by BrooksieCakes
- › Fathers Day Griller by annebelle671
- › Mini Ghost Cakes for Halloween by Hanielas
- › Scary Spider Cookies for Halloween by Hanielas
- › Halloween cupcake topper by Sweet Janis
- › Best Ever Cupcake Icing - How to Video by MommyMommy
- › How to make chocolate pinecones by costumeczar