Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › My Most Moist Cake EVER baking tips!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Most Moist Cake EVER baking tips! - Page 8

post #106 of 122
Thread Starter 
That is why you line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper. It won't crack or break if you have the parchment in place. Re read the original post to learn how to do it correctly. I have been using this method for about 20 years and once Press N seal came on the scene it has worked even better!
post #107 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Silly old me hopping on the band wagon to share my silly old thoughts...

If I had to worry about all of the things I've seen come up regarding health practices with cakes, I'd be the most paranoid freak ever.

I use rubber stamps, I'll use the Preval sprayer if I can get my hands on one, I stick floral wires into cakes, paint food coloring on with regular old paintbrushes... Oh, and so does Duff (who never freezes his cakes).

icon_smile.gif



Thank you....good grief! I'll add to it. I used spatulas from the hardware store before I knew about bench scrapers that were food safe. I still use regular ole' paintbrushes (if there are food safe paint brushes, cool. I ain't buying them though!) Ummmm...foam core! I'll never give it up! Oh, oh...contact paper! Satin ribbon that was produced in dirty third world slave shops (lined with the afore mentioned contact paper....what else.....scrapbook paper for my cake drums, yeah that stuff, that you pick out by the single sheet that was on shelf for who knows how long and was touched by who knows who (again, covered with that devilish contact paper)

icon_twisted.gificon_biggrin.gif I'm sure I have more.
post #108 of 122
I'm so confused.

Advice can get downright contradictory. I'm not questioning cakesdivine's proven 20 year old technique, but I remember reading (on another CC thread) that steam trapped in a cake was a bad thing! icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_cry.gif

Their advice said to flip the cakes from the pan no more than 3 minutes after the pans come out of the oven and allow the cakes to cool on a rack. They said if you leave the cakes in the pan as it cools, steam will get trapped and cause the cakes to get soggy and mushy.

Cakesdivine, is "freezing" the key difference? The steam gets frozen before it has a chance to make the cake soggy?

This sounds like a question for Alton Brown!!
post #109 of 122
Thanks so much Cakesdivine for posting the detailed instructions! I can't wait to try it icon_smile.gif
post #110 of 122
I honestly don't understand how anyone can think that a blazing hot a$$ cake that you can't even touch with your fingers, that is say about 250 to 300 degrees, placed in wrap and put immediately into a subzero environment is going to get germy. Excuse my elementary vocabulary on the subject, but it just doesn't make sense.
post #111 of 122
Thread Starter 
You took the words right out of my mouth jamie...LOL!
post #112 of 122
Thread Starter 
OOps double post...

But to answer the mushy soggy cake issue. The reason leaving in pan causes that is because the trapped moister remains totally trapped on the sides and bottom, while the top moisture escapes. But with the wrap freeze method the steam is equally distributed and you unwrap the cake and let it defrost out of the wrap thus allowing the excess moisture to evaporate. The cake will be extremely moist but shouldn't be soggy as if someone poured a liquid on it. The cake will require a really good support system if being tiered and does not fair as well on 3D cakes. If I have a 3D cake I carve it semi-frozen and crumb coat. Allow it to fully defrost and settle before placing it back in the fridge then cover with the fondant or second BC layer is applied.
post #113 of 122
Thank you Cakesdivine for your awesome tips and information! I'm about to bake a cake right now and I don't have any 'press & seal' handy...is there an alternative to that? I do have heavy duty foil and regular suran wrap?? please help I really do want to try you method but don't have time to run to the store this very moment...icon_smile.gif

Thank you again!!
"Life is short...eat cake!"
Reply
"Life is short...eat cake!"
Reply
post #114 of 122
Thread Starter 
I just now saw this so I have no idea if I got to you in time. Foil or other plastic wraps can be used, however they are problematic. Foil isn't the best sealer and can misshape the warm cake. Plastic wrap can melt from the heat or shrink in the freezing process causing mishaping of the cake as well. It is a crap shoot trying anything other than PressN Seal but before it's invention I too used regular plastic wrap, but can't remember the brand I used that didn't shrink. I think it was Glad wrap as well.
post #115 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

I just now saw this so I have no idea if I got to you in time. Foil or other plastic wraps can be used, however they are problematic. Foil isn't the best sealer and can misshape the warm cake. Plastic wrap can melt from the heat or shrink in the freezing process causing mishaping of the cake as well. It is a crap shoot trying anything other than PressN Seal but before it's invention I too used regular plastic wrap, but can't remember the brand I used that didn't shrink. I think it was Glad wrap as well.

Thank you Cakesdivine you're the best!!! thumbs_up.gif...you know, I decided to wait until tomorrow so I can go buy 'PressN Seal' and I will certainly follow your advice. And, I'm so happy I saw your thread because now I know I can freeze for a few days. I'm a begginer and only do cakes for friends and family, but last week I got an order for 2 cakes and I freaked out LOL icon_biggrin.gif (that's a lot for me icon_redface.gif ) so, I will bake tomorrow and freeze for a week.
THANK YOU CAKESDIVINE!!! icon_smile.gif
"Life is short...eat cake!"
Reply
"Life is short...eat cake!"
Reply
post #116 of 122
I've been having a problem with my cakes lacking moistness. I'm definitely going to try this one! Thanks Cakesdivine! icon_smile.gif
post #117 of 122
my wilton instructor gave the exact same method of freezing cakes in plastic wrap, hot! right out of the oven. Works for me.
post #118 of 122
I have been using this method for about the past year (Ha the time I started baking seriously) I swear by it 100%. I am a completly scratch baker and freeze each and everyone, butter, merigue floded in, chocolate, you name i bake and freeze. I have never had a dry cake (with the help of my other baking tip)

To answer the plastic concern, they now make a microwavable safe saran wrap that wont leach the bad stuff.

My cakes never fall apart (except one chocolate but its ober moist and takes a bit a pratice!)

I freeze defrosted I hate torting a frozen cake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sweetcookies

This may be a silly question but I'm going to ask anyway.

Does his method work for any type of scratch cake? Being a butter cake or using whipped egg whites? I am just asking because I remember reading that someone made a butter cake and it did not freeze well, but that was just one person.
post #119 of 122
I like to torte my cakes and fill, how do you do that, when they are still frozen?
post #120 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeandDazzle

I have been using this method for about the past year (Ha the time I started baking seriously) I swear by it 100%. I am a completly scratch baker and freeze each and everyone, butter, merigue floded in, chocolate, you name i bake and freeze. I have never had a dry cake (with the help of my other baking tip)

To answer the plastic concern, they now make a microwavable safe saran wrap that wont leach the bad stuff.

My cakes never fall apart (except one chocolate but its ober moist and takes a bit a pratice!)

I defrost them for a couple hours before i start working... I hate torting a frozen cake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sweetcookies

This may be a silly question but I'm going to ask anyway.

Does his method work for any type of scratch cake? Being a butter cake or using whipped egg whites? I am just asking because I remember reading that someone made a butter cake and it did not freeze well, but that was just one person.




Edited to fix my nonsense....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Recipes
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › My Most Moist Cake EVER baking tips!