Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Question for those who bake and sell from home
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question for those who bake and sell from home - Page 12

post #166 of 222
Ok, Why can't we just all get along? icon_sad.gif
No need for all this...... we are all cake lovers, and, I love this place. Too often we entertain issues that really aren't CRUCIAL
This is my take on this whole conversation. We all break the law at some point. We all have.
Be it a:
parking ticket
drink and drive, etc. or a simple thing like running a red light or overtaking in a no pass zone. Or even driving over the speed limit. Because we were not caught doesn't make it ok. So, to say that if anyone of us have never done anything wrong - we can seat and judge each other.
With this economical crisis- I think 89% of us can't just open a business, And even if we wanted to banks don't want to loan out money. I am a lic. home baker/ caterer. But reality is this.
I would just encourage just do what you have to, be VERY careful about it. At least you know what? You are not out robbing people for $. Life must go on, and the bills have to be paid. I will never knock someone that is trying.
Where I am from (originally) we believe in helping others. In the USA every man is to himself. I will not turn in anyone trying to make a life for themselves.
I think that if a CC member really did turn in someone in TN for baking from home, they ought to be ashamed of themselves. That was a very low thing to do to a fellow human. What is the relevance?
You are a business they are not, is this what this place is becoming now? There is enough for everyone out there.
Please, let's just all get along. I do not want to see us argue about home vs business bakers when there are people starving, homeless, ill right here who don't even have anyone or anything.
Everyone, enjoy baking cake, and, let's all get along.

Happy Caking
C'est un bon la vie!!!!
Reply
C'est un bon la vie!!!!
Reply
post #167 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendi25

Ok, Why can't we just all get along? icon_sad.gif
No need for all this...... we are all cake lovers, and, I love this place. Too often we entertain issues that really aren't CRUCIAL
This is my take on this whole conversation. We all break the law at some point. We all have.
Be it a:
parking ticket
drink and drive, etc. or a simple thing like running a red light or overtaking in a no pass zone. Or even driving over the speed limit. Because we were not caught doesn't make it ok. So, to say that if anyone of us have never done anything wrong - we can seat and judge each other.
With this economical crisis- I think 89% of us can't just open a business, And even if we wanted to banks don't want to loan out money. I am a lic. home baker/ caterer. But reality is this.
I would just encourage just do what you have to, be VERY careful about it. At least you know what? You are not out robbing people for $. Life must go on, and the bills have to be paid. I will never knock someone that is trying.
Where I am from (originally) we believe in helping others. In the USA every man is to himself. I will not turn in anyone trying to make a life for themselves.
I think that if a CC member really did turn in someone in TN for baking from home, they ought to be ashamed of themselves. That was a very low thing to do to a fellow human. What is the relevance?
You are a business they are not, is this what this place is becoming now? There is enough for everyone out there.
Please, let's just all get along. I do not want to see us argue about home vs business bakers when there are people starving, homeless, ill right here who don't even have anyone or anything.
Everyone, enjoy baking cake, and, let's all get along.

Happy Caking



This is the most intelligent thing I have read in years. Absolutely Brilliant! icon_biggrin.gif
post #168 of 222
Well, happy flowers and cute puppy kittens aside, Kendi, this is extremely important information that is being discussed. A business is a business, and someone who operates a business illegally is breaking the law!

And, I don't have a problem with anyone turning anyone else in. Why should I tolerate an unlicensed baker that operates out of her home down the street from me, who steals my clients because she can get away with charging less because she doesn't have any overhead?
post #169 of 222
I didn't need to make that flowers and puppy comment. I could have made my point without that. I apologize. icon_smile.gif
post #170 of 222
uh-oh! Here we go again! icon_sad.gif
post #171 of 222
WOW, this forum is intense. but I do have to agree that you should be licensed. Im not judging, however for me, I am a licensed home baker who had to fork out a good amount of money for licensing and startup fees. I know someone who bakes from home and her husband is a caterer and they are NOT licensed. Its frustrating to hear of people like this since I have worked so hard to become a legal business! The woman charges very little for her cakes since she does not have any overhead.

I do sympathize with the home bakers who are just starting and do not have a license. I was there too. I donated alot of cakes to different events through people I knew or through the grapevine sort of things...but accepted NO MONEY. I then got my license and started charging for cakes. It takes time to get your name out there, it wont happen over night, but once you get your license the free advertising and marketing strategies are endless. Without a license you would only be able to use word of mouth.

I wish you all good luck with your businesses and happy caking!
post #172 of 222
Could do more than word of mouth - but it IS a big risk. BIG risk=BIG reward? That's for you to decide. LOL
post #173 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8cakemaker

I wish you all good luck with your businesses and happy caking!

I second that!
post #174 of 222
Kendi, I don't think this is turning into an "us against them" thread .... I believe this thread is asking for actual info on how to get this legal thing accomplished, and there was a post that was absolutely wrong in it's info, so it was corrected with factual and accurate info for that state. I didn't read it as a slam against any home baker .... but when people ask for accurate info ..... and they get it .... I can't see why anyone should be upset over the info that is being shared, based on whether they like the facts or reality or not.
post #175 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Kendi, I don't think this is turning into an "us against them" thread .... I believe this thread is asking for actual info on how to get this legal thing accomplished, and there was a post that was absolutely wrong in it's info, so it was corrected with factual and accurate info for that state. I didn't read it as a slam against any home baker .... but when people ask for accurate info ..... and they get it .... I can't see why anyone should be upset over the info that is being shared, based on whether they like the facts or reality or not.



I went back, and reread what was said. It looked quite informative without a personal opinion.

Mike
post #176 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendi25


I think that if a CC member really did turn in someone in TN for baking from home, they ought to be ashamed of themselves. That was a very low thing to do to a fellow human.



A fellow baker was telling me about a decorator in the area that sold illegally from her home until she could get licensed. The lady got her license then turned everybody she knew in that wasn't licensed. Can you say two faced B!tCh?!?! I couldn't do that.....it's just wrong. I refuse to step on people to get ahead.

I think that both sides are making good points but
someone oh here mentioned that it's not fair for a non-licensed at home baker to sell down the street at a lower cost because they have no overhead.
Licensed or not I would think that at home bakers would have little overhead anyway compared to having an off site location. Depending on the set up of course. Everyone has to start somewhere though. I'm sure there are a lot of bakers taking advantage but there are some that literally have no other way than to do it illegally until they can save up.
Congratulations to those of you who were able to get a loan, save up the money, or just pay cash outright but some have no other option. I'm sorry if this offends anyone but there do seem to be a few people on here with a holier than thou attitude when it comes to being licensed. Remember people that Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is a cake business.
post #177 of 222
This is awesome info!!!! I will store this info for when I move back to the states. Where I live it is illegal to have a food business and I can't even open a store out in town. I wish that I could be legal but in the mean time I am just a sitting duck until I move back to the states. Thanks for all the incredibly informative info. Smile
Failure is not an option!!
Reply
Failure is not an option!!
Reply
post #178 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendi25

.......... We all break the law at some point. We all have..................... or a simple thing like running a red light




Running a red light is NOT a "simple thing". A good friend of mine was killed in a car accident by a woman who ran a red light...... the offender had already had five tickets for this same violation.

My friend was on her way to her own wedding when this happened, by the way.

Breaking the law, no matter how you slice it, is always wrong.
post #179 of 222
It has been mentioned that "Everyone has to start somewhere" Kimmy this is certainly not directed at you, it just got me thinking. That's all this is, just a thought for discussion. So no one get offended LOLOL.

Anyway back to the above statement. My question is why? The whole business premise in a captalistic society is to basically put your competition out of business. So nobody deserves a shot at a business. Heck, I want a boat, and an Escalade that doesn't mean I should have one. Just a thought.

Mike
post #180 of 222
EEEEEK! Kitagirl I really appreciate reading your posts. Looks like you live really close to me. I've been looking into getting licensed because I put so much time and effort into my cakes and so many people keep asking me for a card or if I sell them. It's exhausting just thinking about the whole process.

I found this online from the PA Dept. of Agriculture. http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/foodsafety/lib/foodsafety/homeproc.pdf My biggest issue right now is the form I need from my township. My township won't give it to me without a $500 zoning variance. My husband won't agree to spending that kind of money until I have enough experience to prove I can make it.

Rock---Hard Place.

Sometimes it just makes me want to cry. Literally! I've looking into working in local bakeries. But they all do "traditional" cakes that are geared more toward speed, Nobody is hiring, and if they were, I wouldn't get paid enough to offset my daycare expenses for my boys while I did it. Not to mention I've got a job 5 days a week smack in the middle of late afternoon.

Timing is all off. But I love to do cakes. I can't afford to to pay for materials and put so much time into cakes for people without charging. I've never charged for a cake. But I really don't know what to do. I know what I should do. I know what I want to do. I also know what isn't possible right now.

It just STINKS! Kitagirl... can I come to your house and work with you? ha ha
-Stacey
Truly Custom Cakery, LLC

Website: http://www.trulycustomcakery.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TrulyCustom
Reply
-Stacey
Truly Custom Cakery, LLC

Website: http://www.trulycustomcakery.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TrulyCustom
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Question for those who bake and sell from home