Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cupcakes! › Please help!!!! My wilton chocolate wafers won't melt
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Please help!!!! My wilton chocolate wafers won't melt

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I"ve tried everything, double boilers, microwave, a chocolate melter, squeeze bottles and hot water and no luck icon_cry.gif

I have no trouble melting other chocolate its just wilton that will not cooperate. I want to make paw print cupcakes to bring to my vet(who takes very good care of my dog) as a thank you.

I have the cutest cupcakes planned in my head but I can't get these darn wilton wafers to work, please please please any advice from anyone?
post #2 of 9
Have you used this brand before? I have only used the white ones, and that was for a chocolate demo. I don't use them for product, unless it's a piece which will not be eaten.

What method are you using in the microwave? What exactly is happening?

Have you taken one of the wafers and held it between your fingers? Does it melt then?

Candy melts, like chocolate chips, hold their shape until stirred while warm.

Also, if you over-heat them, there's a chance they will sieze up on you.

Theresa icon_smile.gif
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Thank you Theresa, in the microwave; I tried heating it and that didn't work. I read the directions on the back of the bag and it suggested setting the microwave on defrost that didn't work either. Then i tried the little plastic squeeze bottles and that didn't work. I did melt the white ones in the electric melter in the past, and that was sucessful. I seem to be either overheating or underheating. All I want is chocolate liquid, so I make little paw prints! Any suggestions? Thank you for your help.

Jessika icon_confused.gif
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Thank you Theresa, in the microwave; I tried heating it and that didn't work. I read the directions on the back of the bag and it suggested setting the microwave on defrost that didn't work either. Then i tried the little plastic squeeze bottles and that didn't work. I did melt the white ones in the electric melter in the past, and that was sucessful. I seem to be either overheating or underheating. All I want is chocolate liquid, so I make little paw prints! Any suggestions? Thank you for your help.

Jessika icon_confused.gif
post #5 of 9
Jessika -

When you opened the bag, were the melts clean looking, or did they have some white blooming on them? Old candy melts will not melt after a certain point on the shelf.

What wattage is your microwave? If it's a smaller model, it probably doesn't run on more than 900 watts, so it will take longer than the instructions on the bag read.

But there is hope - since you want to print with the chocolate, there is a chance that you can resurrect it.

You need it really liquid, to make your decorations. There are a couple of things you need to do.

I take it you are using the 12 ounce bag of Wilton melts, correct?

First - if you have a glass bowl or glass measuring cup, put half the melts into it.
Second - add two tablespoons of clear, flavorless cooking oil or vegetable shortening.
Third - microwave for 1 minute. Remove and stir. Microwave another 20-30 seconds. Remove and stir.

If they melt this time, proceed to the next step.

Fourth - stir in the rest of the melts. Allow to sit for 1 minute, then stir again. If the melts need more time, only give it 15 second bursts. The candy dots should only be melted 2/3 of the way when you are done. They will melt the rest of the way while standing.

If you need to thin the chocolate more, just add more oil or shortening. I would only add about 1/2 teaspoon at a time, until it gets to the consistency you need. But honestly, I don't think you're going to need more.

When using melted chocolate for drizzling, stamping, or decorating, you should always thin it with some kind of fat, so it sticks better. If you use straight chocolate for the type of work you are talking about doing, it will fall off when it re-crystallizes.

Now, let me explain why I always use glass to melt chocolate or melts in the microwave. The glass retains heat, and the candy melts via what chefs call "carry-over heat".

You can take a 4 cup glass measuring cup and add an entire pound of melts or chocolate. Then microwave it for 1 minute; take it out and stir. Zap it for another 30 seconds, remove from microwave, and allow to sit for about 2-3 minutes.

Let me know if this helps.

Theresa icon_smile.gif
post #6 of 9
I use this product all the time and never had problems with it. I use the microwave to melt them. I don't open the bag until they're melted.
Place the unopened bag in to the microwave, set the time to 30 seconds, remove the bag and knead with fingers, ( the disc will still be hard, you should be able to break some in half at this point), place bag back into microwave for another 10 seconds, again remove and knead. Keep repeating the 10 seconds, knead routine until melted. Usually takes about 6-8 times. Each time you should feel them getting smoother. After they melted, I just snip off a corner of bag and squeeze out what I want. As they cool down they harden again, and I may have to repeat the micowave step. When this happens, make sure you roll up the corner where you snipped the bag.

Maybe you can place your disc, since the bag has been opened already, into a zip lock bag, seal it. and try it again. I don't think your suppose to add water to these. I don't use these for dipping, it is very thick even after melted and cools to fast.
Also Wilton has a toll free number on bag to call for any problems you may be having. Hope this helps.
Carleen
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
I woke up and couldnt wait to get to the computer to check if anyone responded. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning.
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond so thoroughly. The second I am done typing, I am heading over to the microwave for the Wilton Battle Royale.
I am going to try the glass measuring cup method first. If that doesnt work icon_mad.gif , I will continue down the list until I get these wafers the consistancy I need them. Period.

Its on now Wilton wafers!!! ding-ding ( signaling the first round)

wish me luck! thumbs_up.gif
post #8 of 9
good luck with your next attempt! Just adding that I use the wilton melts all the time and the only time I have a problem is when I have some old ones on hand, or if I hit the wrong button on the microwave and they are in there too long (20 to 30 seconds ...stir ... 20 seconds ... stir ... 20 seconds .. stir).
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Success is mine ! ! ! icon_twisted.gif

Thank you again for all the help, I cant tell you how much I appreciate it. I put the Wilton melts in a plastic decorating bag and microwaved at short intervals, squeezing and kneading in between as well. I also added some veg oil and that seemed to make it more liquidy ( is that a word?) and a bit harder to work with.
Bake and learn is what I say! I certainly have had enough problems/failures to learn quite a lot!
As soon as I decide what I want to do , i've changed my mind a gazillion times from paw prints to MMF dogs, maybe a hydrant, and I evern thought about mini dog bowls with kibble in them. We shall see. Regardless of what I choose, I will post a pic the second its done!
Thank you all again! I apprecite all your help and advice!
Jess icon_razz.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cupcakes!
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cupcakes! › Please help!!!! My wilton chocolate wafers won't melt