Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › oh boy! irrate customer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

oh boy! irrate customer - Page 5

post #61 of 99
Wow...I feel for you for having to deal with total jerks!! especially the husband icon_mad.gif yes you should had hang up the phone the minute he started using language.

Two weeks ago I did a surprise 21st bday party for my daughter. When I distributed invitations I put in bold letters "surprise party" and ask them to RSVP at my cell. The first thing I said when I talk to the restaurant, the limo Co. etc was that it was a surprise party and asked them NOT to leave messages at the home phone, and guess what?? ...my daughter had the biggest surprise of her life thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

It only takes common sense, helloooo
Good luck!
"Life is short...eat cake!"
Reply
"Life is short...eat cake!"
Reply
post #62 of 99
I WHOLEHEARTELY agree... They had ordered a cake from someone else and didn't pay the bill (remember that one on Duff's show!)... Then were left scrambling to find something...

I've known a LOT of financially well off people... The one thing I've learned, the people that are going to keep that wealth long term are the people that realize what it took to get there... The rest, are all as Dick Cheney would say ... "Major League A's"...

I had a system for dealing with them that was successful, charge enough PITA fees to cover my stress.... SUUUUURE, you want sprinkles on your cake... That'll be an extra ... icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif ... And always using my best talk off the tip of my nose... thumbs_up.gif

The other thing to remember is that there are a LOT of people living in homes they can't afford with a lifestyle they can't afford either. One of the deputy's I know talks about calls to places that are half-mil or more homes and people are sleeping on the floor because they can't make the payments... OTOH, the most elaborately expensive house I've ever heard of on the outside was the most run down looking shack!!! ALL of the windows were lead crystal, interior was granite and stonework. The guy that owned it did take care of the exterior, but he just liked the simple look to the outside... But the inside was absolutely GORGEOUS!

I'll bet one thing's for sure about this whole situation... the next time you're taking an order for birthday cakes, you're going to ask if it's a surprise or not!!
post #63 of 99
Boy, did they miss out! Your cake is gorgeous! You should send the mom a picture of it with a note that says "This is the cake you COULD have had if your husband wasn't such an anal sac!" The daughter probably wouldn't have had a piece anyway because, (in a whiny voice), "it would make her too fat to fit in her Mini-Cooper". You should ask when the husband's birthday is, so you can make him a cake of a horse, with his picture on its backside!
A woman who strives to be equal to a man lacks ambition. -Unknown
Reply
A woman who strives to be equal to a man lacks ambition. -Unknown
Reply
post #64 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxnerd

I've learned the hard way that people tend not to stipulate when things are surprises. I think I gave away at least one family bridal shower surprise because it wasn't stated in the invitation that it was a surprise. No one told me that ALL showers in my husband's family are surprises. In my family they aren't surprises unless specifically stated in the invitation.

I do cakes for free for family & friends only, but after the last cake that I did for a surprise bridal shower, I think I'm going to refuse any cakes that are for surprise events. It made my life difficult having to make sure that I arrived with plenty of time to set up, having to make sure the bride-to-be couldn't see my car in the parking lot, etc... It was ridiculous.


I have never heard of a Suprise Bridal shower. I mean you know if your getting married right? icon_confused.gif



How funny you said that, I was thinking the same thing.
legal, not legal, I don't care
Reply
legal, not legal, I don't care
Reply
post #65 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

Also...this is the main reason why I can't stand that MTV show "My Sweet 16" - mostly, a bunch of spoiled brats with spoiled, ridiculous parents. I've watched a few cause it can be entertaining but then I can't stomach it anymore.



I've tried I can't watch that show. What kind of world are we creeating.

I wonder if they invited any of her friends. Do you think any 17 yr old girl is not going to let the cat out of the bag?
legal, not legal, I don't care
Reply
legal, not legal, I don't care
Reply
post #66 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinas27

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrig007

Dad is like a lot of parents I know unfortunately and this includes my brother. Sarah hit it on the head, somewhere along the way parents decided that they had to give their kids everything they ever wanted and then when they are out in the real world they can't or won't function. I have a friend whose husband works in NYC at a large stock firm. He said about 3 years ago they started having parents call in about the negative job reviews their kiddies were getting, said they needed to be talked to differently and that constructive criticism just wasn't the way to go. In fact about 18 months ago they brought in some woman who gave a workshop to the managers who hire the just out of college types on how to "deal with their special needs". They also have a special needs child with Down syndrome and he blurted out "how is being a spoiled brat a special needs problem?". She just looked at him and said he didn't understand the "unique challenges" of the "t-ball generation, where everyone always wins and everyone gets a trophy". I hope the daughter realizes that her life wasn't crushed by finding out a surprise party she probably knew about anyway because we all know that 17 y/o's can't keep secrets. Too bad her old man is a total jerk.
BTW it was a beautiful cake. I know your co-workers are enjoying it now!



Here is a great video for you all to watch.
http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=3486473n

This is my generation (i'm 22) and I know so many people that are like this it is ridiculous. I was raised on a farm and what a WORLD away from that I am. Can you say teach your children responsibility?

OP - I cannot believe. He's off his meds.



Thank you so much for that link. I sent it to everyone on my e-mail list. My DH and I have been calling them the "Me" generation. Because all they think about is what's in it for me.
legal, not legal, I don't care
Reply
legal, not legal, I don't care
Reply
post #67 of 99
What do you want to make a bet that the birthday girl is going to end up on Bridezillas in a few years?
post #68 of 99
[/quote]

Here is a great video for you all to watch.
http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=3486473n

This is my generation (i'm 22) and I know so many people that are like this it is ridiculous. I was raised on a farm and what a WORLD away from that I am. Can you say teach your children responsibility?
[/quote]

Thank you so much for that link. I sent it to everyone on my e-mail list. My DH and I have been calling them the "Me" generation. Because all they think about is what's in it for me.[/quote]

What I can't believe is that society is pandering to them (you have to talk to them like a talk show therapist and you can't tell them you're disappointed in them/their performance) instead of giving them a reality check. Why should a company's performance falter or fail because these guys can't cut it because their parents spoiled them rotten?
post #69 of 99
Not only are those parents rude and disrespectful, they're also not very quick, are they?

If my daughter had heard that voicemail and told me, I'd have said, "Ah, shoot, she spoiled your surprise. We know how much you love Mini Coopers, and we just can't afford one for you right now, so we thought we'd give you one-- just on a cake!" Then you could go ahead with the surprise party with the no-longer-a-surprise cake, and the big car surprise.

Of course, I'd never give my daughter a car, so I can only speculate... icon_wink.gif
post #70 of 99
You know if it took them a year to plan the party...perhaps the reason for the lengthy planning was just so they could get people to RSVP to the party icon_lol.gif

In any case...it must suck to be them icon_biggrin.gif
God must have loved calories....He made SO many of them!

The Air Force may have my husband...but I have his heart.

I'm the original Red Velvet Snob...
buh bye cream cheese frosting.
Reply
God must have loved calories....He made SO many of them!

The Air Force may have my husband...but I have his heart.

I'm the original Red Velvet Snob...
buh bye cream cheese frosting.
Reply
post #71 of 99
Process involved in planning a surprise party for a 17 year old (when party requires nothing larger than a sheet cake for servings):
1 - at DD's 16th b-day party mention to relatives that it would be fun to throw her a surprise party next year (since she doesn't appreciate the shin dig you provided for her 16th -- gotta one up it, ya' know!)
2 - 11 months later, send invites to DD's friends (e-mail family 'cause it's more convenient and doesn't require postage ... besides they'll get it quicker and since you put it off .... )
3 - Call a baker a week before the event (preferrably when you're waiting for paperwork for new car to be completed) 'cause the baker shouldn't need too much more time than that .. they're doing all the work the day of the party anyway, right?
4 - The day of the party, make sure your maid did a good job cleaning the house. icon_smile.gif Then, run to party supply store and pick up plates, napkins, plasticware and some hellium balloons. If you're really good, throw in some streamers to add stress to your day! On the way home, stop off at grocery for soda pop and ice cream.

I mean really, how hard is it to plan a party for 20+/- people?????

I'm with you dawncr -- make the girl feel like the party/cake was the surprise (SOL, kid, but I hope you like what we did get you). The car should have been the surprise ... the rest of it she won't be focusing on. Of course, now she's saying "Thanks for the car daddy, but I wanted it in _____ (insert color here). And, where's my cake?"
post #72 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrown99


What I can't believe is that society is pandering to them (you have to talk to them like a talk show therapist and you can't tell them you're disappointed in them/their performance) instead of giving them a reality check. Why should a company's performance falter or fail because these guys can't cut it because their parents spoiled them rotten?



OMG, me too! I was watching that thinking, "Not in MY shop, babycakes!! My investment, my name on the sign .. my way. You dont' like it? Invest your OWN $100,000 and do it yourself. NEXT!!!"

How funny that this is just now considered "news" when we all have been saying it for years!!!

One of my girls was in the kitchen swinging her LONG hair all over the place. I didn't pander to her fragile little ego! I said, "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING??????" icon_mad.gif Uh.... she hasn't done it since!!
post #73 of 99
Oh, almost forgot! And at the very end of the video..... they want the boss to send THEIR MOMMY a letter telling her what a nice job little JOhnnie is doing????? icon_eek.gif

Give me a freakin' break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #74 of 99
icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif I have about 20 millenials working for me, and what the artile said about them being great or a disaster is spot on. Almost not a day goes by that I don't have to say " When you sign my check, then we can have this talk, until then you need to do what you are asked or find another job"
Scratch bakers of the world UNITE !!
Inrideo ergo sum ~ I snark therefore I am.
Cake or Death?......Cake Please!
Reply
Scratch bakers of the world UNITE !!
Inrideo ergo sum ~ I snark therefore I am.
Cake or Death?......Cake Please!
Reply
post #75 of 99
txkat, I had a friend who ran a small restaurant that I went to everyday for lunch. She told me one young man working for her thought every conversation she had was his business.

"What did that guy want? What was he selling? How much is it? Are you buying it? Why? Why Not?" Over and over, constantly!! When she did the "I'm the one that signs the checks" thing, he told her "Any decision you make affects my job so I think I have right to know about your decisions."

The right to know? SOrry ... I must have missed the part where HE wrote HER a check for his share of the investment!!

Turns out he grew up in a house where mommy and daddy were both lawyers, so I guess giving someone a cross-examination came naturally to him!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › oh boy! irrate customer