Awesome video shisharka! Thanks!
I just have some questions about it.
1. It's regular granulated sugar she's using, right? Not powdered?
Correct, it is regular granulated sugar, NOT powdered.
2. Does she use salted or non salted butter? Any brand better than the other? I usually use Blue Bonnet for all my cooking.
Most definitely non-salted.
3. It didn't look like her frosting was yellow from the butter... will that happen? What if I need white frosting? Can I just use some brite white dye?
I only use Trader Joeâs unsalted butter, so I donât know how other brands turn out, but the end result is pretty whiteâ¦ not sparkling white, but whiteâ¦ Never used bright white dye, but it should work fineâ¦ I think the whiteness also depends on how long you whip the butterâ¦ For experimentâs sake, you can try with a stick of butter you normally use, drop it in your KA and let whip for several minutes until almost foamy-creamy â it would be white! Then add that to the meringueâ¦ Never done it that way with SMBC, but I have left butter whip for a long time and it almost gets to the color and texture of whipped creamâ¦
4. I can't imagine this being a crusting icing... so hot knifing I am assuming would be the way to go on smoothing it once it's on a cake, right?
Correct, it does not crust, but it does become solid when refrigerated. Hot spatula works really well to smooth it, but! â with the butter I use it does get some yellowish tint from the heat of the spatula. For me, it is not an issue, as I cover it with fondant anywayâ¦
5. Since it's mostly butter, does the cake need to be refrigerated once it's frosted?
I refrigerate everything, and putting this in the fridge makes the frosting solidify and be easier to handle afterwards. But it can survive out of the fridge for some time, in fact I find it tastes better when it has had a chance to come to room temperature.
Sorry for all the questions... just when you have been doing the same for 3 years and get used to it... it's hard to change without some doubts.
Thanks to everyone in advance!
PS. I have the 5-quart Artisan KA too, not like the one in the video, and I use it over a medium-sized pot of simmering water â no issues at all, the metal âbump and allâ still gets hot enough to heat the meringue.