Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › How Do I? › Paint Fondant and use Luster Dust
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Paint Fondant and use Luster Dust - Page 2

post #16 of 27
WOW! This is answering all my questions too! Thanks for the post. You all are my heroes!!!! icon_biggrin.gif
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairytale


I mix my dust in a painters pallet. It only holds about 2 teaspoons full. That's probably why I don't lose much. I also use the lemon extract so I suspect that's why I don't get that dusty residue. It must have something to do with the oil.



I only use the oil for gilding, not painting. The gilding never leaves a dusty residue, only the alcohol mixtures do (Vodka, lemon extract, etc.) I'm just hesitant to do a whole cake with an oil-based "paint." I've also seen other top designers with this problem -- for example Marion Frost of Patchwork Cutters fame talks about this in one of her videos. She had no solutions other than to be careful not to touch the cake. icon_rolleyes.gif
To find "THE RECIPE LINKS ARE HERE" thread, click on "Forums", then "Recipes" and it's the first sticky. Latest updates are on (the bottom of) page 10 here: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-625803-135.html
Reply
To find "THE RECIPE LINKS ARE HERE" thread, click on "Forums", then "Recipes" and it's the first sticky. Latest updates are on (the bottom of) page 10 here: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-625803-135.html
Reply
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairytale


I mix my dust in a painters pallet. It only holds about 2 teaspoons full. That's probably why I don't lose much. I also use the lemon extract so I suspect that's why I don't get that dusty residue. It must have something to do with the oil.



I only use the oil for gilding, not painting. The gilding never leaves a dusty residue, only the alcohol mixtures do (Vodka, lemon extract, etc.) I'm just hesitant to do a whole cake with an oil-based "paint." I've also seen other top designers with this problem -- for example Marion Frost of Patchwork Cutters fame talks about this in one of her videos. She had no solutions other than to be careful not to touch the cake. icon_rolleyes.gif



bobwonderbuns, I have the same problem too and I use vodka. I just keep my medicine dropper full of vodka handy and re-fill when I need too.

I was thinking of switching to using lemon extract because I hear such good things, but are you saying that it if you paint with it that it leaves the cake a little tacky? I guess I would love to understand the hesitation you have--I'm confused (which does not take much... icon_rolleyes.gif ). I guess it has never bothered me that i have had a residue left over on the cake--it is kinda that way when you do a dry dust too, right? If I touch a cake after I have dry dusted, I still get a little on me...

Oh and the alcohols do not leave a taste on the cake--for those that were asking.
Missy

"It's the truth. It's actual. Everything is satisfactual. It's a zip a dee doo dah day!"
Reply
Missy

"It's the truth. It's actual. Everything is satisfactual. It's a zip a dee doo dah day!"
Reply
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairytale


I mix my dust in a painters pallet. It only holds about 2 teaspoons full. That's probably why I don't lose much. I also use the lemon extract so I suspect that's why I don't get that dusty residue. It must have something to do with the oil.



I only use the oil for gilding, not painting. The gilding never leaves a dusty residue, only the alcohol mixtures do (Vodka, lemon extract, etc.) I'm just hesitant to do a whole cake with an oil-based "paint." I've also seen other top designers with this problem -- for example Marion Frost of Patchwork Cutters fame talks about this in one of her videos. She had no solutions other than to be careful not to touch the cake. icon_rolleyes.gif



bobwonderbuns, I have the same problem too and I use vodka. I just keep my medicine dropper full of vodka handy and re-fill when I need too.

I was thinking of switching to using lemon extract because I hear such good things, but are you saying that it if you paint with it that it leaves the cake a little tacky? I guess I would love to understand the hesitation you have--I'm confused (which does not take much... icon_rolleyes.gif ). I guess it has never bothered me that i have had a residue left over on the cake--it is kinda that way when you do a dry dust too, right? If I touch a cake after I have dry dusted, I still get a little on me...

Oh and the alcohols do not leave a taste on the cake--for those that were asking.

Hey Missy, thanks for inquiring. I used to do what you do with the vodka and the eyedropper -- boy does that stuff evaporate FAST!! So that discouraged me. Then I moved to lemon extract. Same evaporation problem and I could never get the right consistency (either too soupy or too dry!) Both the vodka and lemon extract had a potent smell but only the lemon one had a lingering aftertaste on the cake. icon_confused.gif

I dry dust my gumpaste flowers all the time and steam them, so they get a glazed dew look on them. When I touch them before I steam them I get some on my hand but not very much. But that's dealing with gumpaste. On fondant it seems very powdery after the alcohol evaporates.

My concern about a dusty cake is that I don't want people getting dust all over themselves (how this would happen is if someone doesn't like fondant they peel it off -- using their hands.) Maybe I'm being a little weird about it (wouldn't be the first time... icon_rolleyes.gif) I just want to be able to present a painted cake with no concerns that people will get the dust on their hands. Put it this way, I'm such a slob in the kitchen that if it can get on me, it does!! icon_confused.gif
To find "THE RECIPE LINKS ARE HERE" thread, click on "Forums", then "Recipes" and it's the first sticky. Latest updates are on (the bottom of) page 10 here: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-625803-135.html
Reply
To find "THE RECIPE LINKS ARE HERE" thread, click on "Forums", then "Recipes" and it's the first sticky. Latest updates are on (the bottom of) page 10 here: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-625803-135.html
Reply
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

My concern about a dusty cake is that I don't want people getting dust all over themselves (how this would happen is if someone doesn't like fondant they peel it off -- using their hands.) Maybe I'm being a little weird about it (wouldn't be the first time... icon_rolleyes.gif) I just want to be able to present a painted cake with no concerns that people will get the dust on their hands. Put it this way, I'm such a slob in the kitchen that if it can get on me, it does!! icon_confused.gif



I understand completely! And, oh, I really should wear a smock and face mask when I work--I'm terrible!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Missy

"It's the truth. It's actual. Everything is satisfactual. It's a zip a dee doo dah day!"
Reply
Missy

"It's the truth. It's actual. Everything is satisfactual. It's a zip a dee doo dah day!"
Reply
post #21 of 27
hi, i made a gumpaste lady the other day and mixed my luster dust with a little crisco, it acctually worked, and seemed to have dried ok too, maybe this can help, it is thicker but i had no probs with it at all
( from one cake addict to another ) i cant seem to loose weight and i cant work out why... any ideas????
Reply
( from one cake addict to another ) i cant seem to loose weight and i cant work out why... any ideas????
Reply
post #22 of 27
Oh my gosh...I'm getting so much information from this thread. Thanks to you all.
I have a question about the crisco and luster dust...did you mean you mixed the crisco, dust, and gumpaste, or used the crisco/dust misture to "paint" the gumpaste lady? It's probably a silly question icon_redface.gif I am always amazed at the experts on this board, and their willingness to share.
Thanks again, y'all thumbs_up.gif
Kathy
post #23 of 27
I mixed a little crisco with the luster dust, like i said it is thicker but for the effect i was after it worked really well and there is no issue with flavor. i have also used essence mixed with luster dust and dried them in my food dehidrater. just experiment and see what you like
( from one cake addict to another ) i cant seem to loose weight and i cant work out why... any ideas????
Reply
( from one cake addict to another ) i cant seem to loose weight and i cant work out why... any ideas????
Reply
post #24 of 27
sorry i pushed the submit button before i read what i had written.... i paint my gumpaste/fondant with the mix.... hope this all makes sence
( from one cake addict to another ) i cant seem to loose weight and i cant work out why... any ideas????
Reply
( from one cake addict to another ) i cant seem to loose weight and i cant work out why... any ideas????
Reply
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gannon

are there other extracts that we can use besides lemon? Would peppermint work? or any others?



any extracts that are high in alcohol work. the higher the better. peppermint is up there as one of the highest ...i think %95. lemon and orange are somewhere 85-95 (by memory, sorry i dont have it in front of me.)

i often hear people say vanilla but pure vanilla is only %35 and clear imitation is only about %25.

vodka is %80 (%40 proof- whatever that means).

i use lemon extract or vodka, depending on the cake flavors.
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destini

Can you taste the alcohol or extracts?



nope. it is such a small amount that the flavor disapates too. nothing to be concerned over in my opinion...we are talking drops...that all pretty much evaporate.
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gannon

are there other extracts that we can use besides lemon? Would peppermint work? or any others?



any extracts that are high in alcohol work. the higher the better. peppermint is up there as one of the highest ...i think %95. lemon and orange are somewhere 85-95 (by memory, sorry i dont have it in front of me.)

i often hear people say vanilla but pure vanilla is only %35 and clear imitation is only about %25.

vodka is %80 (%40 proof- whatever that means).

i use lemon extract or vodka, depending on the cake flavors.




Thanks Melysa!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: How Do I?
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › How Do I? › Paint Fondant and use Luster Dust