Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Sandra Lee's Wedding Cake - did you see it yesterday?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sandra Lee's Wedding Cake - did you see it yesterday?

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
So Sandra Lee made a wedding cake yesterday on the show. She used boxed cake mix, and canned frosting. I almost fell over! The cake was enough to feed 100 and it was three round tears. She used no support at all. The cake itself looked okay, but I still can't get over boxed cake mix and frosting for a wedding cake! icon_eek.gif
post #2 of 29
I've used box cake mix with the cake extender recipe before and it tasted great. I do think going as far as boxed icing is a little too much. Hopefully no one will try to do that cake with no support.
post #3 of 29
Oh my. icon_confused.gif
post #4 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar

So Sandra Lee made a wedding cake yesterday on the show. She used boxed cake mix, and canned frosting. I almost fell over! The cake was enough to feed 100 and it was three round tears. She used no support at all. The cake itself looked okay, but I still can't get over boxed cake mix and frosting for a wedding cake! icon_eek.gif



I have seen it before, twice actually. I don't think canned icing will fly with me though..... It is way toooooo sweet..... And I make Buttercream a lot but I have tasted this canned icing and its just too sweet.... To cover a cake for a wedding I don't think tha it is a good idea...

Box cake mixes (eventhough I don't do them often) can be very good and firm if you doctored them... So the cake mix was okay, but the icing NOT!!!!

I did like the other things se did... Wasn't the tent lovely!!!!???
Its always about cake!!
Reply
Its always about cake!!
Reply
post #5 of 29
Ah yes----the queen of using Ziploc bags as pastry bags. Funny--whenever I try that as a "quickie", they ALWAYS end up bursting in my hands.

I missed the show yesterday--but have seen it before. To each her own, I suppose.

Lisa
post #6 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by llj68

Ah yes----the queen of using Ziploc bags as pastry bags. Funny--whenever I try that as a "quickie", they ALWAYS end up bursting in my hands.

I missed the show yesterday--but have seen it before. To each her own, I suppose.

Lisa



You have to buy the stronger ones to be able to use them as pastry bags... Still, there is nothing like parchment or nylon ones.... icon_smile.gif
Its always about cake!!
Reply
Its always about cake!!
Reply
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaLovesCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by llj68

Ah yes----the queen of using Ziploc bags as pastry bags. Funny--whenever I try that as a "quickie", they ALWAYS end up bursting in my hands.

I missed the show yesterday--but have seen it before. To each her own, I suppose.

Lisa



You have to buy the stronger ones to be able to use them as pastry bags... Still, there is nothing like parchment or nylon ones.... icon_smile.gif



Well--I used the Ziploc brand Freezer ones--I believe they are about as strong as they come. I suppose I could rob my dh's pack liners--I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be too happy with that! LOL!! icon_lol.gif

I'm just going to stick with my pastry bags and for those "little" jobs--I just got some parchment triangles. (Bought those AFTER the last "Ziploc disaster".

Lisa
post #8 of 29
She didn't use any supports??? hmmmmmmmm....I wonder how long it took to collapse... icon_confused.gif As far as box mixes go, That's all I use..I doctor them. I've never had one complaint and have had lots of return customers!! thumbs_up.gif I had one bride ask me if I baked from scratch... I told her I used box mixes...She booked at the consult!! icon_lol.gif
post #9 of 29
Were the layers single or double layered and about how big (round? square) where the layers? I'm curious to know too ... no way I'd stack up a cake w/o any support under it and no way I'd use ready made icing on a wedding cake.. just not my style ... buttercream or MMF .. only 2 I like to use... well at this point, or until something else that catches my attention comes along icon_wink.gif
Cheryl a/k/a ntertayneme (n-ter-tayne-me)
www.legateaux.com
Reply
Cheryl a/k/a ntertayneme (n-ter-tayne-me)
www.legateaux.com
Reply
post #10 of 29
Thread Starter 
Here is the link

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_27589,00.html

It does say here to use the dowels, but I don't remember seeing her use them on the show.

It was two layers. One of jam, and one of lemon curd (of course from a jar icon_eek.gif)
post #11 of 29
I think food network is misleading people! They showed the ladies from whimsical bakehouse just slapping the filling on with out showing the dam to keep it in place. They show people stacking up cakes all the time without the proper support. I know that stuff might not be as entertaining, but they could at least say something about it and look at a website for more help. I feel sorry for somone who tries to follow the directions they give on TV.
My drug of choice is FROSTING!
Reply
My drug of choice is FROSTING!
Reply
post #12 of 29
It's really a lovely cake... I guess to each their own lol ... I just think we put a lot more thought into our cakes than that!
Cheryl a/k/a ntertayneme (n-ter-tayne-me)
www.legateaux.com
Reply
Cheryl a/k/a ntertayneme (n-ter-tayne-me)
www.legateaux.com
Reply
post #13 of 29
Thread Starter 
I agree. The only show I've seen where they do it properly was Martha.

Know that I recall, the Barefoot Contessa did a cake as well and again, no support.

Many times what I've seen on tv is different that what is posted in the recipe section. Something is added, or missing, or plain different.
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar

Here is the link

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_27589,00.html

It does say here to use the dowels, but I don't remember seeing her use them on the show.

It was two layers. One of jam, and one of lemon curd (of course from a jar icon_eek.gif)



Funny!!! icon_lol.gif
Its always about cake!!
Reply
Its always about cake!!
Reply
post #15 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntertayneme

It's really a lovely cake... I guess to each their own lol ... I just think we put a lot more thought into our cakes than that!



I agree with you. I think it looks cute. But canned frosting, boxed mix, and jarred lemon curd? For a wedding cake? dunce.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Sandra Lee's Wedding Cake - did you see it yesterday?