I too have experienced one of our dogs getting into some chocolate that my son left out in his room one day; however, soon after the incident, in reading a number of articles and hearing people talk on the radio and on TV, I became aware that dogs eating chocolate is not only serious but toxic and depending on the amount of chocolate, weight of your dog, and type of chocolate that was "stolen", chocolate can kill our dear pets. While taking a quick look on the Net just now, I read a really good article by the emergency vet on Animal Planet, Dr. Kevin Fitzgerald. It is titled, "Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs". If you have a minute please won't you read it-
After becoming aware of this danger, my husband and I both lock our baking and candy making chocolates in plastic containers that are dog proof. Any food item in the house that consists of chocolate is stowed in cabinets the dog can't reach or locked away. We really love our dog. He is a member of our family and it would be the worst thing to happen if some of our chocolate ingredients or chocolate products would be a factor in killing him prematurely. I just wanted to share this information with any of the wonderful bakers or candy makers on this site that have a dog and might not be aware of how serious it is to let your dog eat chocolate.