Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › What is the difference between Colorflow & Royal icing??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is the difference between Colorflow & Royal icing??

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I have used both for flooding in cookies but I am wondering what the difference is...I like the smooth matte finish that Royal leaves and it dries really quickly.I had some colorflow powder the other day as I had no meringue powder left so I made colorflow icing but it was really loose and took forever to dry and I really didn't see a big difference....Des anyone know the difference in the two??

Busy Bakin Kakes For Kids!!!

Mom to Mitchell 13 yrs and Delaney 11 yrs

Reply

Busy Bakin Kakes For Kids!!!

Mom to Mitchell 13 yrs and Delaney 11 yrs

Reply
post #2 of 18
Color Flo takes a few days to completly dry. I use it to put different charaters on cakes. It has more of a shiny finish to it, and it dries like a hard piece of candy. I have at least one photo of a cake out there with a color flo design. It has an alligator on it. I don't know if that completly answered your question or not.
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I have used both for flooding in cookies but I am wondering what the difference is...I like the smooth matte finish that Royal leaves and it dries really quickly.I had some colorflow powder the other day as I had no meringue powder left so I made colorflow icing but it was really loose and took forever to dry and I really didn't see a big difference....Des anyone know the difference in the two??



Well, to tell you the truth, I don't even bother using colorflow anymore.

Its cheaper to do Royal icing and if you thin it, you can do the same fillings as you do with Color Flow.

I have done a lot of my characters with Royal icing. It dries faster too.

I don't even do the buttercream transfer. I do everything in Royal Icing and get same details....

You can see in my photos the stand up characters and also Scooby Doo Cake where I used Royal Icing...
Its always about cake!!
Reply
Its always about cake!!
Reply
post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 
Hi Maria,

I use royal all the time too.... was wondering what others did.I don't do BCT but I use royal to make the transfers and I like it better!!

Busy Bakin Kakes For Kids!!!

Mom to Mitchell 13 yrs and Delaney 11 yrs

Reply

Busy Bakin Kakes For Kids!!!

Mom to Mitchell 13 yrs and Delaney 11 yrs

Reply
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Hi Maria,

I use royal all the time too.... was wondering what others did.I don't do BCT but I use royal to make the transfers and I like it better!!



Yep, me too. I think BCT are a bit more work than I want to get myself into. Since Royal Icing works for me, why bother with that, right?
Its always about cake!!
Reply
Its always about cake!!
Reply
post #6 of 18
I agree w/ you two. I like doing BCT but it takes less time to do color flow or royal. Plus if you mess up on BCT you have to start all over again... I hate doing that! There are a lot of steps to take! It's easier to trace out all your transfers & fill them in w/ royal or color flow. I like both of them. I don't have a favorite.

KiddieKakes & Maria, your cakes are so pretty!! Ya'll both do a wonderful job!!!
"Learn from a turtle... it only makes progress when it sticks it's neck out"
Reply
"Learn from a turtle... it only makes progress when it sticks it's neck out"
Reply
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

I agree w/ you two. I like doing BCT but it takes less time to do color flow or royal. Plus if you mess up on BCT you have to start all over again... I hate doing that! There are a lot of steps to take! It's easier to trace out all your transfers & fill them in w/ royal or color flow. I like both of them. I don't have a favorite.

KiddieKakes & Maria, your cakes are so pretty!! Ya'll both do a wonderful job!!!



Thank you, tcturtleshell! icon_smile.gif
Its always about cake!!
Reply
Its always about cake!!
Reply
post #8 of 18
You're very welcome Maria!
"Learn from a turtle... it only makes progress when it sticks it's neck out"
Reply
"Learn from a turtle... it only makes progress when it sticks it's neck out"
Reply
post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 
Thanks Turtle!! icon_smile.gif

Busy Bakin Kakes For Kids!!!

Mom to Mitchell 13 yrs and Delaney 11 yrs

Reply

Busy Bakin Kakes For Kids!!!

Mom to Mitchell 13 yrs and Delaney 11 yrs

Reply
post #10 of 18
But what is the difference?
post #11 of 18
I recall looking at my aunt's old cake decorating books from England. They basically use royal icing to do the floodwork. I suspect the difference is, Wilton found a way to make more money an came up with this Color FLow thing. I would nor be surprised if it's nothing more than the ready mixed royal icing.


Princess
The 6 Ps Law states Proper Preparation Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance.

-Mr. Morganti
Reply
The 6 Ps Law states Proper Preparation Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance.

-Mr. Morganti
Reply
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Princess

I recall looking at my aunt's old cake decorating books from England. They basically use royal icing to do the floodwork. I suspect the difference is, Wilton found a way to make more money an came up with this Color FLow thing. I would nor be surprised if it's nothing more than the ready mixed royal icing.


Princess



Yep, Cake Princess! Color Flow is expensive! I buy products like Meringue Powder from CK Products at my local Wholesale store... Its cheaper and I can buy them by the bag...

Wilton products can get expensive... If I buy anything from them, I try to have coupons, otherwise, it can wait!!! icon_lol.gif
Its always about cake!!
Reply
Its always about cake!!
Reply
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie

But what is the difference?



I am gong to ask Wilton on their forum and I will let you know. But, personally, I don't think there is any difference. icon_cool.gif
Its always about cake!!
Reply
Its always about cake!!
Reply
post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
Maria....Good luck getting Wilton to answer you!!!Ha!Ha!

Busy Bakin Kakes For Kids!!!

Mom to Mitchell 13 yrs and Delaney 11 yrs

Reply

Busy Bakin Kakes For Kids!!!

Mom to Mitchell 13 yrs and Delaney 11 yrs

Reply
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Maria....Good luck getting Wilton to answer you!!!Ha!Ha!



oh, really? Wow, so you've tried asking them before?? icon_lol.gif
Its always about cake!!
Reply
Its always about cake!!
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › What is the difference between Colorflow & Royal icing??