Decorating By KayDay Updated 7 Jul 2005 , 2:44pm by PolishMommy

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 14

Has anyone here ever had much success with renting a spot in a bridal fair? I took a spot in one in my town this past spring then had a little one get sick. So my stand was there and my cards but I didnt get any real response from it. I did get a follow up email from the society that hosted it listing names of brides to call..I didnt get a response from it either. I know I wasnt there and didnt really give it a shot...just a decorated arch with a table under it with my cards,....no samples or anything but I am wondering if it would have been worthwhile if i had?Any input is appreciated! icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 14

I THINK THAT IF YOU WERE THERE IT WOULD HAVE BEEN DIFFERENT. I HAVEN'T DONE ANY FAIRS SO I CAN'T GIVE YOU ANY FEEDBACK THERE IF IT WAS SUCCESSFUL OR NOT. IF YOU HAD SAMPLES THE BRIDES TO BE COULD HAVE TASTED THEM. MAYBE NEXT TIME THEY HAVE ONE IN YOUR AREA YOU COULD GIVE IT ANOTHER SHOT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. GOOD LUCK!

KayDay Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 1:14pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks! Thats why I am asking there is another one here in the winter and I am considering giving it another shot. Man some of the set-ups at those things are SO elaborate! If I do try again I am going to have to step things up a bit in the decorating area..lol

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 14

THEN GO FOR IT!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 1:25pm
post #5 of 14

If you were to have samples of what your cakes taste like, maybe a dummy cake that is decorated for them to see, I really think you'd get some business from people... I really wish they'd offer something like that here where I live... they have one place that does these and she contracts with a couple of bakeries... none of these bakeries are invited... it's like she wants the credit like she's done the cakes... it's really weird how it's done .. this lady has even gone as far as to have a commercial on TV with one of my sisters cakes on her commercial like she did the cake.. we were so angry about that too... I told my sister to contact her and let her know she did not appreciate her using her cake in a commercial without her permission and then taking credit for it as if it were hers .. this lady really has the market cornered around here for catering and doing all wedding planning, etc... so if you have this opportunity to get your name out there for the cakes you do, by all means, do it!!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 14

I've never done one of these shows myself, but I work during the day in advertising for a newspaper and we host theses kinds of events every season. I could tell you a few things I've seen here that were successful for our clients. The one that seemed to get the best response (in my opinion) was very simple. She had a small (4x8 ft maybe) table where she sat at one end with cards, fliers, etc. In the middle of the table, she had a list of different items, flavors, etc. on a little stand behind a tray of samples. Then at the other end, she had a decorated arch turned diagonally to cover just the corner of the table and on the tabel beneath the arch was a dummy of her most favored or prized cake design. IT was a very simple display, but she said that she got a very good response from it.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 5:09am
post #7 of 14

Karyn,

You should go for it!! Your cakes are out of this world!!! I do believe it would give you lots of customers!! I would even go as far as just making a large wedding cake so you can give out samples that way. It would be easier to me to make a cake them to make samples. I would also have my portfolio there w/ all your beautiful cakes!! The arch sounds very pretty too!! Get hubby to stay w/ the children if they come down sick. Go for it!! Best of luck to you~

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 5:39am
post #8 of 14

I have done a few and they really do send people your way. I did one in January and I had a really good response. I didn't even mail anything out from that one. I just did one this month also and I have had some calls but June is slower wedding wise here. So I think they will call more when it cools down. Also they give you that list so you can send out information to the brides. I usually try to send out an email and then for those without email just a post card.
At the shows I usually have between 3-5 dummy cakes. I get the smallest booth too because they are expensive. I give out samples in little condiment cups with lids. They like that because if they don't want to have them right there they can take them for later. At the last one I took cream cheese mints too and those were so popular.

Good luck! I am sure you will do great!

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 12:42pm
post #9 of 14

When my daughter was getting married, we hit every bridal show there was...lol... it gave me ideas as to what brides were selecting for their cakes... Most of the girls showing cakes had a dummy cake decorated....and then baked sheet cakes to hand out samples...
Hope this helps you..
cakegal

SweetCaramel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCaramel Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 12:57pm
post #10 of 14

This question is for Bonnie: Where do you get cheese mints from? I have never had any or heard of them. Sounds intersting and like they might be good.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 1:07pm
post #11 of 14

I really wanted to get a booth for the bridal extravaganza this July. I filled out the online form and then got a call from the director. She told me it would cost $750 for a booth. I decided not to do it because of the expense. They offer it again in January...I am going to think about it. Bonnie and KayDay, How much did it cost for you to get a booth? I am just curious....I am wondering if I sign up earlier if I can get something less expensive. I think it would bring a lot of business especially if you are prepared(business cards, samples, pictures, decorated wedding cake...). Thanks!
traci icon_razz.gif

KayDay Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 4:58pm
post #12 of 14

I think it depends on the size etc. of the bridal fair.I did one in a large city not too far from me and it was a HUGE thing ...it was $1,500.00...then a smaller one in my smaller city and it was 100.00 for a booth. So it widely varies...at least here. icon_biggrin.gif

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 7:48pm
post #13 of 14

you guys are wonderful! i have really been thinking about eventually doing something at a bridal fair.....just a little too chicken at this point. but i did got alot of insight from reading your post! thanks!
melody

PolishMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PolishMommy Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 2:44pm
post #14 of 14

If you know someone else willing to share the booth, that would be a way to help with the expense. Like a small florist, a ballon decorator, etc. I know they do that around here.

Just an idea...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%