Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cookies! › feeling a little guilty
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

feeling a little guilty - Page 2

post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

I use mix and add nothing but what the box says and people love my cakes, I had a home ec teacher tell me she has no idea what I do to a mix but that my cakes are wonderful.



It's the love and the passion we put into it!! When people ask for my oatmeal cookie recipe, I just shrug and say, "It's on the box." They can do the very same recipe, but their cookies don't come out the same! (heh heh heh heh heh!) icon_twisted.gif
post #17 of 32
Ok, then, I'll be the lone voice that says, yes, I do feel that it is somehow 'cheating' to use a mix. Personally I'm a bit of a snob about pre-made food. If I had friends coming for dinner I would never serve them sauce from a jar or a ready-made pizza, and I feel the same way about cakes. Also I don't like all the chemicals.
There, flame away!
- Natalie
"Blessed are the cheesemakers?"
Reply
- Natalie
"Blessed are the cheesemakers?"
Reply
post #18 of 32
I understand how you feel being from the south myself. People really find pride in saying ...I made it from scratch. BUT my thing is, really, aren't we doing it partly from scratch. We still have to add eggs, butter, oil, sugar, vanilla etc. And at least it isn't that frozen unthawed refrozen stuff the push off on people at the grocery store (I used to work for one...believe me, if they knew how some of the people do cakes in there...you'd be a superstar). I got over trying to find a great "from scratch" recipe...I've had some from scratch cakes and didn't care for it much. Maybe I haven't found the right cake to taste or the best recipe to use but I do know one thing, if I changed my doctored up cake recipe, my customers wouldn't be my customers anymore. Your cakes can look good but if they don't taste good too....you're wasting your time. And believe it or not, there are commercial bakeries that use cake mixes also. My mom used to work for one. Don't feel guilty, if you're baking it up...it's still homemade icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Realize your journey
Reply
Realize your journey
Reply
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

Ok, then, I'll be the lone voice that says, yes, I do feel that it is somehow 'cheating' to use a mix. Personally I'm a bit of a snob about pre-made food. If I had friends coming for dinner I would never serve them sauce from a jar or a ready-made pizza, and I feel the same way about cakes. Also I don't like all the chemicals.
There, flame away!



icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Oh Tubbs, we're not gonna flame ya! Believe it or not, I am the same way about my cookies ...... can't stand any cookie mixes or refrigerated rolls .... all made from scratch in my kitchen! So while I prefer the taste of cake from a mix (never had a scratch cake yet that I would take a second bite of), I understand your point of view because I am the same way about cookies .... scratch only!! thumbs_up.gif

(You'd love sauce from a jar if you could get it from my commercial supplier! I made my spaghetti sauce from scratch until I tasted this stuff! Just another example of what I talked about in the above post!)
post #20 of 32
I work PT ina local restaurant/bakery and help decorate cakes when they are in between cake decorators (that's another thread!) All they add to the "mix" is water and oil! It blows me away that they don't even have to add eggs! All of my cakes that I do personally are one version or another of the WASC and I am not going to mess with a good thing!!
post #21 of 32
I always bake from scratch but I am really not pleased with the recipe that I currently use for my yellow cake. I have tried several recipes but can't seem to get them moist. I recently tried a DH box mix and doctored it. It was fabulous!! I told one of my baking friends about it and told her that I just may switch my scratch yellow cake to a box mix. She recently tried it and made it for some friends. She said that a couple of the people did not like it and said that it tasted commercialized. I don't understand that because they can eat a supermarket cake and not complain. When I bake for friends and family it's like that can't wait to see if the cake is from a box mix so that they can have something to complain about. So, that's why I have always baked from scratch but I am about to change that real soon because the ones that complains are the ones that are not paying. However, I really do believe that the doctored box mix will work out fine for my next paid order.

Cynita

www.desirabledelights.com

www.facebook.com/desirabledelights

Trust in the LORD with all of your heart and lean not into your own understanding but in all your ways acknowledge HIM and HE will direct your hands to create the perfect cake.

Reply

www.desirabledelights.com

www.facebook.com/desirabledelights

Trust in the LORD with all of your heart and lean not into your own understanding but in all your ways acknowledge HIM and HE will direct your hands to create the perfect cake.

Reply
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

[
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Oh Tubbs, we're not gonna flame ya! Believe it or not, I am the same way about my cookies ...... can't stand any cookie mixes or refrigerated rolls .... all made from scratch in my kitchen! So while I prefer the taste of cake from a mix (never had a scratch cake yet that I would take a second bite of), I understand your point of view because I am the same way about cookies .... scratch only!! thumbs_up.gif



Aww, you're kind. Actually I'm just a sucker for real butter - I think that's the main reason I prefer scratch cakes! Perhaps if I was doing this all day, very day I would feel differently!
- Natalie
"Blessed are the cheesemakers?"
Reply
- Natalie
"Blessed are the cheesemakers?"
Reply
post #23 of 32
Being a stay at home mom. I get so burned out coming up with meals to cook every day and tired of eating my own cooking icon_cry.gif, that someone else could make me a PB&J sandwich, covered in a store bought jar of sauce, and it would taste phenomenal icon_lol.gif I don't know why, that's just how it is. My mom always says the same thing!!
post #24 of 32
Tubbs, I agree with you about the chemicals, etc. I try to do the organic and all natural thing as much as possible. When I use a boxed cake mix, I use organic eggs, milk etc. Better some organic than none icon_lol.gif
post #25 of 32
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the replies. I believe I will try the box thing for awhile. I do alot of things that make me feel guilty later so what's one more...... hehe
post #26 of 32
indydebi wrote: "Good lord, even mopping is almost (almost!) fun with a commercial mop and mop bucket!"

Okay, let me just tell you I HAVE a commercial mop and mop bucket and cleaning the floor still sucks! icon_razz.gif

I too use cake mixes and sometimes add to them. My biggest compliments aren't that my cakes look good ~ but they taste good too! Besides, who has the time to make from scratch??
Bakers trade bread recipes on a knead to know basis
Reply
Bakers trade bread recipes on a knead to know basis
Reply
post #27 of 32
venecakes-
Doctoring a cake is using a cake mix as a base and then adding other ingredients to the mix. For example, when I made the triple decker strawberry cake, I used a white cake mix and added things like a half cup strawberries, a pkg. strawberry gelatin, some flour, sugar, and a few other things to the cake mix. Sometimes you use all the things that it calls for on the back of the box, sometimes not. There are a few doctoring books out there..there's one just for chocolate, one for cakes, and one for cupcakes. I'd recommend hitting your library and checking the book out. I did and loved it and just bought it a few days ago because I had such great reviews! They also have a website. www.cakemixdoctor.com that shows the books, has a few recipes on site, and you can also sign up for their email newsletter. Hope this helps.
<a href="http://www.freewebs.com/anitamcmanus/">Visit My Website</a>
Reply
<a href="http://www.freewebs.com/anitamcmanus/">Visit My Website</a>
Reply
post #28 of 32
I figure if you aren't grinding your own flour, and churning your own butter, etc........... you are NOT baking from "scratch"... icon_lol.gif
post #29 of 32
I have done scratch cakes, and I've done mixes. My friends and family were thrilled to help taste test for me, and the mixes won, hands down. The scratch cakes were good... don't get me wrong, but the box mixes were the over-all winners. And they're faster... I can whip up a box mix, box to oven, in 6 minutes flat. Can't do that with scratch. icon_razz.gif

Tubbs wrote:
"Actually I'm just a sucker for real butter - I think that's the main reason I prefer scratch cakes! Perhaps if I was doing this all day, very day I would feel differently!"

Amen!!! (Paula Deen is my hero... starts every recipe out with, "You take a stick of butter...") I use butter recipe mixes when I bake, and that seems to be the best for me and my folks. icon_smile.gif

As for scratch cookies... that's the ONLY way to go for me. I have a vanilla sugar cookie recipe that I found in the 1001 cookies book, and it's my mainstay. I might make the dough ahead and freeze it, if I know I'm going to need it for a large batch, but I do NOT use mixes or bought dough for cookies. icon_razz.gif When they make one that tastes as good as my home-made, I'll consider it. icon_smile.gif
NC_Cake_Decorators@yahoogroups.com

http://doni-n-sal.weddingannouncer.com/
Reply
NC_Cake_Decorators@yahoogroups.com

http://doni-n-sal.weddingannouncer.com/
Reply
post #30 of 32
newbie here, what is WASC?

Thanks for this thread. I've wondered the same thing. Being new to the cake decorating scene, I just assumed that everyone here was doing scratch cakes. I even felt like I had to explain to my DH that I was doing a box cake this week because I just didnt have time to do scratch, and that maybe next week I'd take the time to whip up (yeah if only it were that simple) a cake from scratch. First of all, he doesn't care. He just wants to eat cake, so who am I trying to impress? So it's quite a relief to hear that many of you start with a box mix. I've tried a few cakes from scratch and my family always seems a bit let down with the taste. I'm not sold on a good recipe yet.

Cookies though, i almost always do from scratch. The extra time is worth it to me. I can do refridgerated chocolate chip cookies, since those are the one type of cookies that my scratch recipes always come out AWEFUL! But the refidgerated sugar cookies make me gag.
Our happiness in life is determined more by our disposition than by our circumstance.
Reply
Our happiness in life is determined more by our disposition than by our circumstance.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cookies!
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cookies! › feeling a little guilty