Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › I've been snubbed!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I've been snubbed! - Page 3

post #31 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everemton



I think I was just too shocked to react. I couldn't BELIEVE what she had said. Mind you the girl is a bit of a ditz. She called today and said that the absolute MOST she could pay me to make her cake would be $300. Um......NO? Then when I told her no she said "How can a cake cost that much? It's just flour, eggs, and sugar. ANYONE can squirt some frosting on a cake." I then calmly replied "Well then, apparently you don't need me to make the cake - if it's SO easy I'm sure you could figure it out." She repilies "That's a good idea, I think I will. I've never baked a cake but if you can do it, I'm sure I can." icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

I just sweetly said " well, good luck with that, see you at work." and hung up.

I know it's not nice, butI seriously hope she does try to make her own cake. I'd go to the wedding JUST to see it. icon_evil.gif



i would love to see her try as well. if you can do it, I'm sure I can.. she is a jerk.. and that is not the word I am thinking of. Even if she did come back at you with a right price. I prolly wouldnt do it
post #32 of 194
Any possibility, Everemton, that you could take pictures of this cake that this obviously very talented woman is going to make for herself?

Sometimes I would just like for someone to see my kitchen when I get done with the simplest of cakes. Looks like Katrina went through. That alone is worth a few bucks on the price of a cake. If they only realized what our equipment costs.

I don't even know this dizzy broad and I'd like to slap her into next week. Takes all kinds I guess.

Melxcloud, sounds like your feelings are soothed somewhat. Don't send too many freebies to the DH's workplace or they will expect them all the time also. At least you didn't have to eat a Walmart assembly line cake. icon_biggrin.gif

Diane
Lord, If you can't make me thin, please make my friends fat.
Reply
Lord, If you can't make me thin, please make my friends fat.
Reply
post #33 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everemton

She called today and said that the absolute MOST she could pay me to make her cake would be $300. Um......NO? Then when I told her no she said "How can a cake cost that much? It's just flour, eggs, and sugar. ANYONE can squirt some frosting on a cake." I then calmly replied "Well then, apparently you don't need me to make the cake - if it's SO easy I'm sure you could figure it out." She repilies "That's a good idea, I think I will. I've never baked a cake but if you can do it, I'm sure I can." icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

I just sweetly said " well, good luck with that, see you at work." and hung up.

I know it's not nice, butI seriously hope she does try to make her own cake. I'd go to the wedding JUST to see it. icon_evil.gif



Everemton: Wow Good for you for standing up for yourself. She's nuts and will soon understand that. I'd LOVE to see that cake if she tries it. 450 people?? That's HUGE!
It's not how good you are, but how well you can fix your mistakes.
Reply
It's not how good you are, but how well you can fix your mistakes.
Reply
post #34 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilthorner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everemton



I think I was just too shocked to react. I couldn't BELIEVE what she had said. Mind you the girl is a bit of a ditz. She called today and said that the absolute MOST she could pay me to make her cake would be $300. Um......NO? Then when I told her no she said "How can a cake cost that much? It's just flour, eggs, and sugar. ANYONE can squirt some frosting on a cake." I then calmly replied "Well then, apparently you don't need me to make the cake - if it's SO easy I'm sure you could figure it out." She repilies "That's a good idea, I think I will. I've never baked a cake but if you can do it, I'm sure I can." icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

I just sweetly said " well, good luck with that, see you at work." and hung up.

I know it's not nice, butI seriously hope she does try to make her own cake. I'd go to the wedding JUST to see it. icon_evil.gif



i would love to see her try as well. if you can do it, I'm sure I can.. she is a jerk.. and that is not the word I am thinking of. Even if she did come back at you with a right price. I prolly wouldnt do it



Oh HEEEELLLLLLL NO I would not make her cake. Even if she DID offer the right price. I'm envisioning a frantic call from her the night before her wedding. (which is when she plans to make it.) "OMG- PLEASE HELP ME!!!!" icon_cry.gif To which I'll reply "That's okay, I'm sure you'll figure it out - seeing as it's SOOO easy and all."

Not bitter am i?? thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.
-- Somerset Maugham
Reply
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.
-- Somerset Maugham
Reply
post #35 of 194
melxcloud - yummy or not - it's still a sheet cake with what - roses - OMG - how very creative of them......

Everemton - ya really gotta take the girl down!

[The Queen turned crimson with fury, and, after glaring at her for a moment like a wild beast, screamed `Off with her head! Off--' ] from Alice in Wonderland.

....just in case you need a role model to help you scream at her while your guards carry her to the chopping block icon_lol.gif
Award winning cake designer and fine art sculptor.

"An artist discovers his genius the day he dares not to please." ~Andre Malraux
Reply
Award winning cake designer and fine art sculptor.

"An artist discovers his genius the day he dares not to please." ~Andre Malraux
Reply
post #36 of 194
If she wants to pay that little for a cake, I'd hate to guess what the dinner will be like...
I love someone with Autism.
Reply
I love someone with Autism.
Reply
post #37 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everemton


Oh HEEEELLLLLLL NO I would not make her cake. Even if she DID offer the right price. I'm envisioning a frantic call from her the night before her wedding. (which is when she plans to make it.) "OMG- PLEASE HELP ME!!!!" icon_cry.gif To which I'll reply "That's okay, I'm sure you'll figure it out - seeing as it's SOOO easy and all."

Not bitter am i?? thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif



Sounds like a good weekend to go out of town!! When she sees how much it is going to take to buy pans, equipment, ingredients, etc., she's going to wish she hadn't said that to you!
It's not how good you are, but how well you can fix your mistakes.
Reply
It's not how good you are, but how well you can fix your mistakes.
Reply
post #38 of 194
Everemton:

Furthermore on Bridezillas.......

Monsters do not reform - they have to be taken out. Geez, even "good" monsters are shot down from the tallest buildings! Rat-a-tat-tat - take that you nasty beast!

Everemton, you are a saint and should have a statue commissioned in your honor! icon_cool.gif
Award winning cake designer and fine art sculptor.

"An artist discovers his genius the day he dares not to please." ~Andre Malraux
Reply
Award winning cake designer and fine art sculptor.

"An artist discovers his genius the day he dares not to please." ~Andre Malraux
Reply
post #39 of 194
I have been sitting here thinking about this ditzy bride to be and wonder if she has priced cakes anywhere else. If she has, then she knows what they are worth. Tell her you could set her up with the "Redneck Wedding Cake". You know, the one with tiers of twinkies and hostess cupcakes. She couldn't even do that for 450 people for that amount of money even if she bought them at the day-old bakery. icon_twisted.gif

diane
Lord, If you can't make me thin, please make my friends fat.
Reply
Lord, If you can't make me thin, please make my friends fat.
Reply
post #40 of 194
I agree...dont do the cake. I have pricing isses with my mom she says I'm too expensive. I think people have it backwards they want us to charge less than the stores do fro their yukie cakes. it takes alot of effort to make a cake that tastes great and is pretty. They may not want to pay you-believe me some people out there do pay for quality. icon_biggrin.gif
post #41 of 194
everemton: OMG!!! "Anybody can squirt frosting on a cake!" R U KIDDING ME??? I'm a redhead with a temper to match, and I gotta say, she got off soooooo easy! I would've been tempted to flatten that woman.
Fall down 7 times....get up 8
Reply
Fall down 7 times....get up 8
Reply
post #42 of 194
OMG! ROTFLAO about the day old bakery!!!! HAHAHAHA

Good for you for sticking to it. I winder if anyone has made a practice cake for work with words saying to call you for their cake needs and leave some biz cards next to the cake. That way it would be like an advertisement.

"Enjoy this free sample from XYZ Bakery. Please call 555-1234 for all your cake needs!"

Anyone ever do this?
Monika

Raising children is like being pecked to death by a duck.

Never trust a skinny cook.


[/url]
Reply
Monika

Raising children is like being pecked to death by a duck.

Never trust a skinny cook.


[/url]
Reply
post #43 of 194
....about the ditzy bride.... i want to go to that wedding too!!! IF you get invited, you should go, just to take a pic. of her cake....and post it for us.

haha


melody
post #44 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everemton

I think I was just too shocked to react. I couldn't BELIEVE what she had said. Mind you the girl is a bit of a ditz. She called today and said that the absolute MOST she could pay me to make her cake would be $300. Um......NO? Then when I told her no she said "How can a cake cost that much? It's just flour, eggs, and sugar. ANYONE can squirt some frosting on a cake." I then calmly replied "Well then, apparently you don't need me to make the cake - if it's SO easy I'm sure you could figure it out." She repilies "That's a good idea, I think I will. I've never baked a cake but if you can do it, I'm sure I can." icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

I just sweetly said " well, good luck with that, see you at work." and hung up.

I know it's not nice, butI seriously hope she does try to make her own cake. I'd go to the wedding JUST to see it. icon_evil.gif



That is something I would LOVE to see! Please be sure and take a picture for us icon_evil.gif
Anna (105 lbs lost since June 1, 2009)
Reply
Anna (105 lbs lost since June 1, 2009)
Reply
post #45 of 194
Ummmmmmm.........

In her defense, I really do think some people just don't get it. The first time I went cake shopping, for my wedding, (I grew up really redneck! LOL), I was surprised how much the cake cost. It could very well be that her lesson will come as she travels around looking for a cake.

Yes, we undersell ourselves. When I bought that first cake, a several tiered cake to feed 200, plus a 9 x 13 groom's cake, the lady quoted me $375, then a couple of months later (about a month and half before the wedding) she called me and said she had a money crunch, and if I could pay her that week, she would knock $75 off the price. This lady had to be new at cakes, although she never let on. This was in 1991, but she was so much cheaper than everyone. This was when I could get a three-tier from Kroger for $200. That cake should have cost so much more. It was several tiers with lilies.

Also, you have to give some people that they really don't know what goes into a cake.

Yes, the lady was rude. And good for you for not doing her cake. Stick to your guns. And wow, what a woman to just turn and walk away. I'm not sure I could have done that.

But, what about when the lady realizes how much that cake is gonna cost her? What about when she learns the lesson? What about when she comes to you, and is ready to pay what you are asking, and/or is ready to cut her order?

Yeesh, I sound like I'm fussing. I'm not. Again, good for you. Everyone should set a price that is fair, and equitable for us, with all the time, training, equipment, and energy we put into our creations. You go, girl.

P.S. Wouldn't I love to get an order for a cake for 450? My biggest order to date has been a small tier cake, I think it was $200. LOL
Home and Garden Party Designer
Reply
Home and Garden Party Designer
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › I've been snubbed!