I freeze cakes all the time!
1) Bake cakes and allow to cool completely.
2) Wrap cooled cakes in saran wrap or glad press 'n seal.
3) Wrap cake in reynold's freezer paper, just like wrapping a present.
4) Mark on the package what the cake is and the freezing date.
1) Remove wrapped packages and place on countertop to defrost. Do this 45 minutes to an hour before you start to decorate. This is a good time to cover your cake boards, maybe make your icing if you have not done so already. Or even get your colors ready.
2) Leave cakes wrapped while defrosting or your cakes will lose their moisture and have a slight dried out cake taste to them when eating them.
(I learned this from experience.)
The cakes can still be slightly cold when icing, at this point I crumbcoat with thinned down icing and it really helps the icing and any crumbs in it set up. I wait at least 5 minutes before putting on the final layer of icing.
Any other questions just ask
edit note- spelling correction