Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › HELP!!! I am making carnations instead of roses.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HELP!!! I am making carnations instead of roses.

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Dawn - Are you here today? I used your BC recipe (and by the way it IS incredible). Here is my problem...... When I am making roses the edges are looking more like a carnation. What have I done wrong or what am I doing wrong?

One other question to all - Do you use the disposable bags or the original Wilton bags for decorating? Could this make a difference in the icing? I just started using the disposable and sometimes it feels as if my icing gets softer faster.

Thanks in advance,

Lisa
post #2 of 16
When you say your edges look like carnations what do you mean? Are the jagged or broken, dont look smooth. If that is the case the problem might be your tip. Alot of times with new tips you need to open them up a bit. I take either the tip of my rose nail or on of my smaller spatuala and stick it in the tip and GENTLY go back and forth till the tip opens up. I especailly have to do that with my rose tips and leaf tips.
Becky D
cakeconfections@gmail.com
www.cakeconfections.net
Reply
Becky D
cakeconfections@gmail.com
www.cakeconfections.net
Reply
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
The edges are not coming out smooth. They look ruffled. I am using 104 and it very well be a new tip. icon_cry.gif
post #4 of 16
Try opening up the tip. I have the problem, just open it a little at a time. You should see improvement with each try. Also make sure your frosting is smooth and not too thick. But if you are using dawns, it should be good.

some people will also put piping gel in their frosting to make it flow smoother.
Becky D
cakeconfections@gmail.com
www.cakeconfections.net
Reply
Becky D
cakeconfections@gmail.com
www.cakeconfections.net
Reply
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Silly question. I only sifted confectioners sugar 2 or 3 times. Could this make and big difference (if any at all).

Lisa
post #6 of 16
Mine always look like carnations too! I gave them up and started to make fondant ones. They were way easier in my opinion. My hat is off to people who make beautiful BC flowers.
My drug of choice is FROSTING!
Reply
My drug of choice is FROSTING!
Reply
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAA

Silly question. I only sifted confectioners sugar 2 or 3 times. Could this make and big difference (if any at all).

Lisa


You would know that your sugar is a problem if you tip is getting clogged. If it is the jagged edges it is the frosting consistancy or the tip. or both
Becky D
cakeconfections@gmail.com
www.cakeconfections.net
Reply
Becky D
cakeconfections@gmail.com
www.cakeconfections.net
Reply
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
My tip is not getting clogged so I will try to open it a little. I will let you know if that helps.

THANKS!!!

LISA
post #9 of 16
Just signing on and had lots of PMs to read first. Thanks everyone for jumping in helping ... all advice given is exactly what ran through my mind. I have nothing new to offer.

LAA- let us know how it works for you.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

Mine always look like carnations too! I gave them up and started to make fondant ones. They were way easier in my opinion. My hat is off to people who make beautiful BC flowers.




better carnations than cabbage! I make gumpaste and candy clay as I never mastered them and I swear they look more like a cabbage
post #11 of 16
I made cabbage roses for the longest time. Then I finally had someone explain it to me in a way that made sense. While I still need practice, my roses look like roses now.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeconfections

When you say your edges look like carnations what do you mean? Are the jagged or broken, dont look smooth. If that is the case the problem might be your tip. Alot of times with new tips you need to open them up a bit. I take either the tip of my rose nail or on of my smaller spatuala and stick it in the tip and GENTLY go back and forth till the tip opens up. I especailly have to do that with my rose tips and leaf tips.



I never knew this and this was exactly the problem I was having with my roses on the wedding cake I did last weekend. It was a brand, spankin' new 104 tip and I just couldn't NOT get the edges smooth. Something I have NEVER had a problem with before. I tried everything I could think of and still no improvement. I did not try to open the tip up more because I never knew this could be the problem.

I ended up not doing any flowers on the cake at all because of this. Thanks for the tip!

Lisa
post #13 of 16
No proplem. I hope it helps.
Becky D
cakeconfections@gmail.com
www.cakeconfections.net
Reply
Becky D
cakeconfections@gmail.com
www.cakeconfections.net
Reply
post #14 of 16
I had the same problem for a while,then I added piping gel to my icing and my rose edges started coming out perfect!Try adding some to your icing. icon_smile.gif
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey17

I had the same problem for a while,then I added piping gel to my icing and my rose edges started coming out perfect!Try adding some to your icing. icon_smile.gif



OR--I could just STOP dh from running my tips through the garbage disposer and that would solve my problem also! ARGH! The reason it was brand new is because he ruined it the last time I used it.

I've never heard of the piping gel,either. I've never had teh problem before, though, so I never had to worry about it.

Thanks for the tip!!

Lisa
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › HELP!!! I am making carnations instead of roses.