Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › Champagne cake in recipe section?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Champagne cake in recipe section?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Has anyone tried the champagne cake in the recipe section? Or have a tried and true recipe they're willing to share? icon_biggrin.gif
post #2 of 12
Not sure what is on here but I have tried the one where you just substitute a bubbly white wine or champagne style wine for the water in a cake mix and follow the rest of the instructions on the box. It works fine, not my cup of tea but other people like it.
Hugs Squirrelly
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Thanks Squirelly! I've never actually tasted one, but I thought they might be popular as wedding cakes. Do you taste the alcohol in it? I'm doing a wedding cake in June and wanted to give the bride some options.
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

Thanks Squirelly! I've never actually tasted one, but I thought they might be popular as wedding cakes. Do you taste the alcohol in it? I'm doing a wedding cake in June and wanted to give the bride some options.


No you don't really taste it, it changes the texture of the cake probably due to a yeast type of reaction with the leavenings. It does give it a bit of a taste but not an alcohol or unpleasant taste. A lot of people do use it for weddings and anniversaries and if you use the pink sparkling wine, you get a pale pink tone to it. It is fairly popular. Kiddiekakes had told me about it awhile back, I know she uses it sometimes.
Hugs Squirrelly
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hmmm, never thought of a chemical reaction. What is the cake texture lke in a champagne cake? I'm intrigued!
post #6 of 12
I've made the one from the recipes here, twice. The first time I thought it was nice but different. The second time, I ended up freezing it first. And then, instead of using the champagne icing I used regular buttercream. Because of that, I didn't refridgerate and it fermented. That is the only word I can think of to discribe the taste.

And I do think you can taste the alcohol in it. The texture is very dense, moist, not unpleasant.

I'll have to try what squirrelycakes said . . . substitute the water with champagne. Does that have to be refridgerated?
Cyndi
"Once you've found the place where your passion meets the world's needs, you've found your destiny."
Reply
Cyndi
"Once you've found the place where your passion meets the world's needs, you've found your destiny."
Reply
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybourg

I've made the one from the recipes here, twice. The first time I thought it was nice but different. The second time, I ended up freezing it first. And then, instead of using the champagne icing I used regular buttercream. Because of that, I didn't refridgerate and it fermented. That is the only word I can think of to discribe the taste.

And I do think you can taste the alcohol in it. The texture is very dense, moist, not unpleasant.

I'll have to try what squirrelycakes said . . . substitute the water with champagne. Does that have to be refridgerated?


Hhmn, I will go have to look at the recipe here on the site.
No, with just substituting the champagne for water you don't have to refrigerate. The alcohol cooks off. I have seen another variation of this too where you only substitute 1 cup of the water called for with champagne or a sparking wine.
Hugs Squirrelly
post #8 of 12
I figured you only had to refridgerate because of the icing that the recipe calls for. When I used the buttercream I figured it wasn't necessary. I don't understand why, since the alcohol should have been cooked off like you said, that it got that fermented flavor.
Cyndi
"Once you've found the place where your passion meets the world's needs, you've found your destiny."
Reply
Cyndi
"Once you've found the place where your passion meets the world's needs, you've found your destiny."
Reply
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybourg

I figured you only had to refridgerate because of the icing that the recipe calls for. When I used the buttercream I figured it wasn't necessary. I don't understand why, since the alcohol should have been cooked off like you said, that it got that fermented flavor.


It is actually the yeast that gave it that flavour. When you are using wine or beer in a cake recipe, that would be a possibility over time. When I have used the sparkling wine as a replacement, the cake hasn't sat a long period of time. I think it would be a possibility if the cake sits for more than 3 days or sits in a warm room, sealed in plastic. It is a very good point to consider, I hadn't thought of it when making this cake.
Hugs Squirrelly
post #10 of 12
This really intrigues me. What kind of champagne do you use?

If anything it's a great reason to pop open a bottle!
post #11 of 12
I am in Canada, so I use the cheapest "champagne like" bubbly wine I can find, mainly because when you are baking with it, taste and expense isn't a big factor. So Bright's President or something cheaper like that. Sorry, not too familar with the American "champagne type" sparkly bubblies.
Hugs Squirrelly
post #12 of 12
OK, I get the yeast taste thing. Familiar with that. But I think it was a combination of errors on my part. I had it frozen, took it out, frosted it (did not wait for it to thaw), and then stuck it in a plastic cake container. I had a piece the very next day and it had that fermented taste.

Hubby tasted it, and said it tasted like "buck" which is what the prisoners make out of bread and fruit . . . homemade hooch. He wouldn't eat it or even take it to work since he works at the prison.
I wouldn't have let him take it to work anyway because of the strong taste.

I just used Andre Champagne. The first one I made tasted pretty good, like I said before.
Cyndi
"Once you've found the place where your passion meets the world's needs, you've found your destiny."
Reply
Cyndi
"Once you've found the place where your passion meets the world's needs, you've found your destiny."
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Recipes
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › Champagne cake in recipe section?