Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › Toba Garrett's Cake recipes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Toba Garrett's Cake recipes

post #1 of 80
Thread Starter 
Do you have your favorites? I would like to try some of them and would like some honest opinions.
Thank you in advance.
post #2 of 80
I have tried her Moist Yellow Cake, Chocolate Fudge Cake and the Chocolate Cake Cheesecake. They are absolutely delicious!!!

I use the moist yellow cake in two ways:

I use it for my pineaplle cakes and smear Toba's cream cheese icing and crushed pineapples between the layers. This is an awesome cake.

I also use it with my favorite chocolate frosting recipe. My 90 year old grandmother was the queen of yellow cake w/ chocolate frosting. Now mine has replaced hers as the family favorite.


The Chocolate Cake Cheesecake is awesome if you want a decadent dessrt. Its a huge 10 inch cake that consists of two layers of her chocolate fudge cake with her cheescake sandwiched between the two. It also has Toba's choc buttercream and cream cheese buttercream between the layers as well. This is a great "show-off" dessert because it's fairly easy to make but looks like a 5 star restaurant dessert.

I did the chocolate fudge cake as a wedding cake for a chocoholic bride and groom. I also used Toba's choc b/c recipe. The bride and groom raved about how delicious the cake was.

HTH
Rhonda
A scientist recently discovered a food that reduces a woman's sex drive by 90% - Wedding Cake!!!

www.freewebs.com/rhopar33
Reply
A scientist recently discovered a food that reduces a woman's sex drive by 90% - Wedding Cake!!!

www.freewebs.com/rhopar33
Reply
post #3 of 80
I use her chocolate fudge cake and LOVE it, but I have actually had people say it's "too fudgy". icon_eek.gif I just stare at them. Apparently they think that if it's not the airy fluff of box mix texture, it's not good cake. Their loss....

I tried the yellow cake but unfortunately (duh!) I left out the baking powder, so it was a little....heavy. LOL I'll have to try it again.

I recently made her fondant, which worked out nicely, and I also just tried her decorator's buttercream and like that, too, which is saying a lot, because I strongly dislike any non-IMBC icing, and especially anything with shortening. I do have customers ask for a sweeter icing than IMBC icon_confused.gif , so I'm going to go with this one for them.

I figure, hey--she's charging $30-75 a serving; if it's good enough for her, it's good enough for me! icon_lol.gif

Not doing cakes any more, moved on...

Now blogging about life after cake and other randomness here:  http://itsa-long-story.blogspot.com/

Reply

Not doing cakes any more, moved on...

Now blogging about life after cake and other randomness here:  http://itsa-long-story.blogspot.com/

Reply
post #4 of 80
Thread Starter 
Thanks a bunch! icon_smile.gif
post #5 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by homecook

I use her chocolate fudge cake and LOVE it, but I have actually had people say it's "too fudgy". icon_eek.gif I just stare at them. Apparently they think that if it's not the airy fluff of box mix texture, it's not good cake. Their loss....

I tried the yellow cake but unfortunately (duh!) I left out the baking powder, so it was a little....heavy. LOL I'll have to try it again.

I recently made her fondant, which worked out nicely, and I also just tried her decorator's buttercream and like that, too, which is saying a lot, because I strongly dislike any non-IMBC icing, and especially anything with shortening. I do have customers ask for a sweeter icing than IMBC icon_confused.gif , so I'm going to go with this one for them.

I figure, hey--she's charging $30-75 a serving; if it's good enough for her, it's good enough for me! icon_lol.gif



You'll definitely haver to give the moist yellow cake a scond try. That is the BEST yellow cake from scratch I've ever tasted. Its funny that you should say someone found the choc fudge cake too "fudgy". I, too, have run across people that, in my opinion, really can't appreciate a good scratch cake. Like you said, if they it's not light and airy like a box mix, they don't think it's good!
A scientist recently discovered a food that reduces a woman's sex drive by 90% - Wedding Cake!!!

www.freewebs.com/rhopar33
Reply
A scientist recently discovered a food that reduces a woman's sex drive by 90% - Wedding Cake!!!

www.freewebs.com/rhopar33
Reply
post #6 of 80
chocolate cake that's too fudgey? Is there such a thing??!!!!

I'm making this recipe ASAP!!

Thanks for the review of it!
post #7 of 80
icon_cry.gif why can't I find any of those recipes when I type in Toba Garrett's name...all I get is fondant and ....something else....where can I find the recipe for the chocolate cake cheesecake and the yellow cake???
Dear Lord, If you can't make me skinny, please make all my friends fat. Amen
Reply
Dear Lord, If you can't make me skinny, please make all my friends fat. Amen
Reply
post #8 of 80
someone post a link to the recipies PPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
June 1996 ~ Thats when my life changed forever, I accepted Christ.
Reply
June 1996 ~ Thats when my life changed forever, I accepted Christ.
Reply
post #9 of 80
Her chocolate cake recipe is my favorite. It is so good. Even my dad who says he doesn't like chocolate cake kept eating it. He said it was the best chocolate cake. My friends are chocolate addicts so this was their absolute favorite so far. I also made lemon buttercream using her recipe for decorators buttercream.
So far I have tried these recipes from her book and love them all
Decorator's Buttercream ( used hi-ratio shortening)
chocolate buttercream
cream cheese buttercream ( so good with 1/2 cream cheese, 1/2 mascarpone)
chocolate fudge cake
yellow cake
lemon coconut cake
~~~Erica~~~
Reply
~~~Erica~~~
Reply
post #10 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy120

icon_cry.gif why can't I find any of those recipes when I type in 's name...all I get is fondant and ....something else....where can I find the recipe for the chocolate cake cheesecake and the yellow cake???



It's in her book, "The Well-Decorated Cake".

Rhonda
A scientist recently discovered a food that reduces a woman's sex drive by 90% - Wedding Cake!!!

www.freewebs.com/rhopar33
Reply
A scientist recently discovered a food that reduces a woman's sex drive by 90% - Wedding Cake!!!

www.freewebs.com/rhopar33
Reply
post #11 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by neni

Her chocolate cake recipe is my favorite. It is so good. Even my dad who says he doesn't like chocolate cake kept eating it. He said it was the best chocolate cake. My friends are chocolate addicts so this was their absolute favorite so far. I also made lemon buttercream using her recipe for decorators buttercream.
So far I have tried these recipes from her book and love them all
Decorator's Buttercream ( used hi-ratio shortening)
chocolate buttercream
cream cheese buttercream ( so good with 1/2 cream cheese, 1/2 mascarpone)
chocolate fudge cake
yellow cake
lemon coconut cake



Toba's cream cheese buttercream is the absolute best cream cheese icing I've ever had. I've tried it bth w/ half cream cheese and half marscapone as well as all cream cheese and it is awesome. I ice my carrot, red velvet, and sweet potato cakes with it. My clients go crazy over this stuff!!!!

Rhonda
A scientist recently discovered a food that reduces a woman's sex drive by 90% - Wedding Cake!!!

www.freewebs.com/rhopar33
Reply
A scientist recently discovered a food that reduces a woman's sex drive by 90% - Wedding Cake!!!

www.freewebs.com/rhopar33
Reply
post #12 of 80
You can also find some of her recipes at epicurious.com. I'll try to post a link:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/find/results?search=toba
post #13 of 80
I just got rave reviews on a non-lemon juice version of her decorator's bc from a customer with a sweet tooth (didn't care for IMBC).

If you do make her chocolate cake, be sure and actually find Dutched cocoa; it will make a difference--what a wonderful cake that is!

and yes, I was like "TOO fudgy?!? ...And that's bad..because....???" lol

Try it--it's awsome AND you make the whole recipe in one bowl. I love that part! icon_biggrin.gif

Not doing cakes any more, moved on...

Now blogging about life after cake and other randomness here:  http://itsa-long-story.blogspot.com/

Reply

Not doing cakes any more, moved on...

Now blogging about life after cake and other randomness here:  http://itsa-long-story.blogspot.com/

Reply
post #14 of 80
Where can I find Dutch chocolate??
Dear Lord, If you can't make me skinny, please make all my friends fat. Amen
Reply
Dear Lord, If you can't make me skinny, please make all my friends fat. Amen
Reply
post #15 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy120

Where can I find Dutch chocolate??



I had to go to a "better" supermarket to find it, i.e. Lowe's Foods, Wegmans, but now I think my local food lion carries it. Dutch processed is a deep dark cocoa, almost looks black. I buy the Hershey's Special dark brand. You'll know it because it will say Dutch processed on the container.

Rhonda
A scientist recently discovered a food that reduces a woman's sex drive by 90% - Wedding Cake!!!

www.freewebs.com/rhopar33
Reply
A scientist recently discovered a food that reduces a woman's sex drive by 90% - Wedding Cake!!!

www.freewebs.com/rhopar33
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Recipes
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › Toba Garrett's Cake recipes