Posted by aztomcatJust made a 3-tiered wedding cake with the cake flavors: red velvet, chocolate and pumpkin spice. The bride of course chose cream cheese frosting but wanted a fondant look without fondant. Called for a nice crusting cream cheese icing. So after trial and error, here's what I came up with. She wanted a cream colored icing, so I did add a dab of brown coloring to the mixture.
Wedding - Crusting Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 + 1/3 cup veg shortening 16 oz cream cheese softened at room temp (2 8oz blocks) 3 tsp clear vanilla extract 3 tsp clear butter extract 2 tsp clear almond extract or creme bouquet (or you can use 1 tsp of both - yum) 3 tbs meringue powder 1/3 tsp fine popcorn salt (or reg salt) 3 - 3.5 lbs powdered sugar 1/4c plain powdered creamer dissolved in 1/4 c very hot water (you may use flavored creamers, if you want to infuse a flavoring) You may not need to use all of the liquid.
- Cream shortening, softened cr. cheese and extracts, then mix in meringue powder and salt then add 3 tbs creamer mixture.
- Once everything is smooth, slowly add 3 lbs of your powdered sugar with your mixer set on a low setting. Mix on setting six or med-high for 6 minutes or so.
- If you need a thicker icing add more p. sugar. If you 'd like it thinner add more of your liquid. You probably know what consistency you are comfortable with.
- For crumb coating, take a few cups out and add more of the liquid to thin it out for your first coat. Let dry before applying your top layer of frosting.
- Once iced you can smooth the cake with a hot but dry spatula.(Dip in a very hot water and dry it before use). Let crust for about 20 minutes. I have been able to use the Melvira method with this icing utilizing both the roller and viva towels.
- You can see how this smoothed for me in my pictures it is the fall wedding cake with black ribbon and fall roses.
- This recipe will make a very white icing perfect for wedding cakes. If you want a more ivory cream cheese icing, substitute 1/2 cup butter for 1/2 cup shortening. Then the recipe will call for approx 3/4 c shortening, 1/2 c butter and 16oz of cream cheese.