Related Forum Threads
- What kind of chocolate (semisweet, etc) to be used in baking? Last post on 3/11/13 at 8:27am in Recipes
Chocolate Spice Cake
Edited on 11/15/10
- How to turn white box cake into a store bought tasting chocolate cakeEdited on 10/24/09
- Chocolate Chili CakeEdited on 7/4/09
- Chocolate peppermint cake
Alphabetical Article List
Darn Good Chocolate Cake
Posted by moharaThis recipe is from the Chocolate Cake Mix Doctor book and it is awesome. It is rich and chocolatey and tastes out of this world. Team it up with the Chocolate Syrup Frosting and you will be in chocolate heaven.
Darn Good Chocolate Cake
- vegetable oil or spray for your pan flour for dusting your pan 1 package of Devils food or dark chocolate fudge cake mix 1 package of Devils Food or chocolate fudge instant pudding mix (3.9 oz) 1 cup sour cream 1/2 cup water (I use milk, others have even used hershey syrup) 1/2 cup vegetable oil (some people sub softened or melted butter) 4 large eggs (if making as a sheet, I'd reduce to 3 eggs) 1 1/2 cups semisweet chips
- Place rack in middle of oven and preheat to 325. Mist and flour your pans.
- Place cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, water (or milk instead), oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low for 30 seconds - 1 minute. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides. Increase mixer to medium and beat 1 1/2-2 minutes. (really, only beat it until it is combined). The batter should look thick and well combined. Fold in the chips, making sure they are well distributed throughout the batter.
- Pour the batter into the pans and smooth with a rubber spatula.
- Bake the cake until it springs back when lightly touched and it starts to pull away from the pan - about 28-35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes in pan and then turn out onto a cooling rack.
- If you want the chips to stay suspended in the cake, you could also toss them with a little flour before putting them in. I've never had to do that, but other people have said that their chips sink. If you want the chips to melt, use the mini's.
- I prefer using Duncan Hines dark chocolate fudge cake, and the dark chocolate fudge instant pudding mix.
- If you are making layers, I would use 3 eggs instead of 4. I think 4 will make it too heavy and it will probably sink in the center. I did that with a 13x9x2 and it sunk in the whole middle. (It was still delicious, just not pretty). Of course, you can always fill it in with more frosting!!!
- If you want a delicious chocolate frosting too, I posted the Chocolate Syrup frosting on the recipes section of the website and it is out of this world!!! This is from the Cake Mix Doctor Cupcake Cookbook. It was someone's personal recipe that won a contest, and then Anne Byrn included it in her latest cupcake cookbook. You will NOT be disappointed.
- How to turn white box cake into a store bought tasting chocolate cake
Currently, there are 1034 Active Users (24 Members and 1010 Guests)
- › Hello kitty topper 7 minutes ago
- › What are these strawberries dipped in!? HELP! 9 minutes ago
- › How do I price this cake? 12 minutes ago
- › Anyone using Moonfruit for their website? 14 minutes ago
- › assembling the wedding cake.... 29 minutes ago
- › What do you think of the recent changes to CakeCentral? 30 minutes ago
- › Why did my fondant decorations soften? 56 minutes ago
- › What tool do you wish you had never bought? 58 minutes ago
- › apple tree trunk wedding cake... how do i make this cake? 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › Cake Center Not Baking 1 hour, 13 minutes ago
- › Wilton Flower Former Set by MsNeuropil
- › Wilton White Candy Melts, 12-Ounce by MsNeuropil
- › Cupcake Wrapper Creator by maritzausa
- › Wilton Fondant and Gum Paste Silicone Mold, Kids Party by crazygrammie
- › Kitchen Aid Brand Professional 610 Stand Mixer by GaMa Marge
- › Wilton Diamonds Texture Press by lisamartin205
- › Oster Inspire 2529 6-Speed Hand Mixer with Storage Case by Buzzardbait1950
- › Wilton Towering Tiers Cake Stand by kovacstracey
- › Jonas Baker's Mate Collapsible Cooling Rack by Servelan
- › Wilton Decorate Smart Ultimate Trim-N-Turn Cake Caddy by Aunt Tillty
- › Patriotic eagle cake by Montrealconfections
- › HOW TO MAKE A CROWN USING A WILTON BAROQUE MOLD by al-tomczak
- › Best White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting by Sarahoza
- › Edible stamens for cupcake flowers by sweettooth101
- › Yoda Star Wars Cookies by sugarkissed_net
- › Easy Papaya Cutout Flowers by marya92
- › Stained Glass Effect Cake Tutorial by Tashastasytreats
- › Deb Miller's Vanilla Marshmallow Fondant by debm1
- › How to bake a Curly Cookie by mamakaat
- › Lightning McQueen Cars Cake Topper Tutorial by Leascooking