Crunch Time. Help With Applying Fondant To Cream Cheese

Decorating By lovechocolate Updated 16 Oct 2012 , 8:11pm by BakingIrene

lovechocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovechocolate Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 4:10am
post #1 of 6

Hi all Thanks for past advice I am waiting to apply decorations to cream cheese frosting. But worried. How should I apply. Thinking of making fondant glue little water and melted fondant worried they will fall off sides after delivery. Any and all help would be gratly appreciated Thanks Maria

5 replies
Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 5:14am
post #2 of 6

I have never done this, but I think that the cream cheese is going to be too soft to withold the fondant. Do you have time to try this out in advance? To apply you can brush very lightly with water and then apply onto cake

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 6:19am
post #3 of 6

I don't apply fondant to a cream cheese frosting as a rule. If the cake is best served with cream cheese frosting, I will use it as the filling with a SMBC, all-butter american buttercream, or with a ganache outer 'crumb coat'. I like fondant on a hard, cold surface and IMO cream cheese just doesn't deliver.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 6

You can still chill cream cheese icing for a pretty firm surface. Then all you need to do is mist it with some water before applying the fondant, just like you would any other crusting buttercream. If you want a really, really firm surface you can add a thin layer of SMBC over the top of the cream cheese icing - but still make sure to chill it before covering.

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorieleann

I don't apply fondant to a cream cheese frosting as a rule. If the cake is best served with cream cheese frosting, I will use it as the filling with a SMBC, all-butter american buttercream, or with a ganache outer 'crumb coat'. I like fondant on a hard, cold surface and IMO cream cheese just doesn't deliver.

I agree with this advice... Once I put fondant flower decorations on cream cheese iced red velvet cupcakes and after a little while the backs of the flowers turned to goo... the cream cheese icing will melt the fondant. Luckily the flowers were just laying on the cupcakes but I fear that covering a cream cheese iced cake with fondant, or even just applying fondant decorations to the side of the cake is risking a cake disaster. I would fill the cake with cream cheese and then ice with vanilla (or other complimentary flavor) SMBC, then you can apply your decorations without a problem.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 6

Has anybody tried rolled buttercream on top of cream cheese icing? Like a 1/8" thick layer? Because that would cover without getting mushy. You could then add fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%