Will This Dark Purple Icing Taste Bitter?

Decorating By Pearl645 Updated 8 Jul 2012 , 2:56am by Pearl645

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 6

How do I achieve this deep purple BC frosting on these cupcakes without making the BC taste bitter? Once I start adding lots of colour to make BC dark I get a horrible bitter taste. This is for someone's wedding and I don't want guests to have a bitter frosting.
LL

5 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 2:22am
post #2 of 6

Pearl, you do not colour the entire batch that deep shade.

You colour the icing to a medium shade and let sit overnight. Then you take a clean brush and brush paste colour all over the inside of your piping bag. When the icing is added, the deepest shade is on the outside surface and won't be tasted.

This technique is in the Wilton books pre-1990. People sell the Wilton Celebrate hardback books (the oldies but goodies) on ebay for very little $$. Consider picking up one or two, there is a lot of useful info. The patterns have all been posted online by Wilton.

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 7:59am
post #3 of 6

Excellent idea Irene. thumbs_up.gif

Pearl645 Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

Pearl, you do not colour the entire batch that deep shade.

You colour the icing to a medium shade and let sit overnight. Then you take a clean brush and brush paste colour all over the inside of your piping bag. When the icing is added, the deepest shade is on the outside surface and won't be tasted.

This technique is in the Wilton books pre-1990. People sell the Wilton Celebrate hardback books (the oldies but goodies) on ebay for very little $$. Consider picking up one or two, there is a lot of useful info. The patterns have all been posted online by Wilton.

Thank you for the advice icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 8:23pm
post #5 of 6

Another option would be to *flavor* & color the icing by adding about 1/4 teaspoon (per cup of icing) of KoolAid UNsweetened powder to a good medium shade as noted in the other posters suggestion. this also would need to sit overnight. Pick whatever flavor of KoolAid that is blue or purple.
Just one caution regarding the other suggestion. It will *stain!* everyone's lips/teeth & any fingers that touch the icing icon_sad.gif

Pearl645 Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 2:56am
post #6 of 6

Okay great. Sounds like a plan. Will give this a test run. Thanks for the responses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%