Help!! Mini Squares Wedding Cake

Decorating By virybo Updated 21 Feb 2012 , 12:03am by Cakery2012

virybo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virybo Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 5

Hello! I offered to make my friend's wedding cake, she wants mini squares to offer as a dessert.

I know what cake recipe i'm doing but now I'm super scared about the decoration times and everything.

Did you ever made as much as 250 mini square cakes? If so, what decoration did u use (fondant, buttercream, etc) and what would be easier? Any ideas about the making times, how many days in advance should i start?

I'm freaking out!!!!!

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 5

This is going to be sooooooo time consuming! And it takes a lot of space to put each one on a cake board and store it until all the others are ready. Then there is the matter of delivering them icon_sad.gif
How are you going to bake 250? Make a sheet cake and cut? That brings up the problem of icing them...o.k. if covered w/fondant but tough if covering w/b'cream. What are you going to put each cake on? You will have to cut boards which will then need to be covered. Believe me this will take a LOT! of time and planning.

eava Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eava Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 5

You'd almost be best off using a poured fondant like for petit fours. You can cut the squares from sheets, fill, stack and then pour or pour each piece separately then stack. Simple decorations like molded flowers, molded pearl boarders and sugar pearls/dragees would work. You could make all the decoration way ahead of time. I cant see frosting or covering in fondant 250 minicakes.

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 5

I have done this and it was INCREDIBLY TIME CONSUMING! I only had to do 100 and I will probably NEVER do them again. I work out of my home (yes, folks, I'm licensed!) so I figured the best way was to bake 7 12" squares. I torted them, filled them, let them set up in the fridge and then cut them into 3" (approx.) squares which gave me 16 per. I frosted each one, and as you probably know, doing squares is WAY more tedious than rounds. Then I had to cover each with fondant. Each of these tasks took me a day (at least) to do so for 250 I would say at least double that. Plus, as another poster said, the amount of space your going to need to store these is crazy, never mind figuring out how to deliver them. And when I did them, I couldn't find any little boards to put them on so I had to hand cut them.

I wish I could offer you some more positive info but unless you have some help, this is going to be rough. I would at least bake the cakes, torte and fill, crumb coat and then cover and freeze until the week prior. (You can cut them and frost them individually then). Oh, and had to make a sugar calla lily for each one!

Good Luck! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 12:03am
post #5 of 5

May I ask did you know what your friend wanted before you offered? Is she paying you or is this a gift ? If you volunteered before you knew what you were in for maybe explain how time consuming it will be .......your friend may change her mind icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%