Steamer Spit Globs Of Water All Over My Cake And Flowers!

Decorating By Elcee Updated 16 Feb 2012 , 2:04am by dawnybird

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 12:16am
post #1 of 9

Help! This steamer has worked fine up until now...of course, right? The flowers are gumpaste. The cake is fondant covered and completely assembled. There's no starting over and no Plan B. I was able to repair some areas by going over them with a damp brush and smoothing out the splotches (leaves, ribbon). My ROSES were pretty hard hit, though. It's almost like they have pock marks icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

The only thing I can think of is to use something like one of those spongey eye shadow applicators; wet it and use it to smooth over the petals and then re-dust them carefully.

Let me be clear on this point: the cake is for a competition and WILL NOT be eaten!

I appreciate any advice anyone can offer...commiseration and sympathy accepted, too. icon_smile.gif

8 replies
Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 9

I'm so sorry this happened! How frustrating.

Could you possibly add something (what, I do not know) that would make those marks on the roses look like dew drops? Or would that totally not go with your overall design?

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 9

Oh, Elcee, I feel just sick for you. It's the stuff of nightmares for anyone who decorates cakes! I am so sorry that happened. I've been thinking of getting a steamer myself, but this kind of makes me think twice. I pray you'll be able to repair the damage.

Elcee Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you both icon_smile.gif.

I was able to clean up most of the damage with some cotton applicators I had. The pock marks were smoothed out on the roses but the color was left splotchy. The judges didn't even comment on those. Unfortunately, a side effect of cleaning up was that I negated the effect of the shading on my leaves and the judged DID notice that.
icon_redface.gif

No more steamer for me; it's in the trash. Thanks again!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 4:12am
post #5 of 9

Not sure what brand/type of steamer you used, but I really love my Joy Mangano My Little Steamer.

I always use distilled water in it so that it doesn't get mineral deposits (contributes to spitting) and it heats up very quickly.

Couldn't do without it to set my dusts on things.

HTH
Rae

Elcee Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 3:42am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Not sure what brand/type of steamer you used, but I really love my Joy Mangano My Little Steamer.

I always use distilled water in it so that it doesn't get mineral deposits (contributes to spitting) and it heats up very quickly.

Couldn't do without it to set my dusts on things.

HTH
Rae

I steam individual flowers over a pot of water but in this case I needed to steam a bow and ribbon after it was on the cake. It was a little Sunbeam something or other and I've always used distilled water in it. Maybe a better one will last longer but now I have "steamer trauma" icon_lol.gif. I'll keep your recommendation in mind if I get over it, though.

Thanks!

dawnybird Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 4:00am
post #7 of 9

Rae,
Where can I buy the My Little Steamer you mentioned?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 4:07am
post #8 of 9

If you go to froogle.com and search joy mangano my little steamer, lots of results. I think Bed Bath & Beyond may still have them in store, too. Got mine cheap on Ebay.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=joy+mangano+my+little+steamer&oq=joy+mangano+my+little+steamer&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=1846l6800l0l8355l29l28l0l20l0l1l270l1417l1.4.3l8l0

Rae

dawnybird Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 2:04am
post #9 of 9

Thanks, Rae!
I checked it out and you're right. Lots of choices!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%