Is Smbc Supposed To Be So Sweet?

Baking By karukaru Updated 12 Feb 2012 , 5:56pm by LoriMc

karukaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karukaru Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 2:11am
post #1 of 7

I made SMBC yesterday and it was really sweet. It is supposed to taste like that? I added dark chocolate and a lot of kahlua and it was fine (it was for black Russian cupcakes) but it was too sweet before that.

6 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 2:54am
post #2 of 7

I love SMBC because it's not so sweet. If anything, the usual complaint is that it's too buttery.

I make FromScratchSF's SMBC and it's awesome. It also needs a lot of flavouring. So if I'm making vanilla, I'll use vanilla bean paste until the taste is what I want.

http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/tutorial-swiss-meringue-buttercream/

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 7

How much butter is in your recipe? I make IMBC but it's basically the same thing. I use a full pound of butter.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 7

SMBC and IMBC have the ability to be too sweet only if too much sugar is added. It all depends on the recipe and the ratios. I hate overly sweet anything and none of my European buttercreams, SMBC, IMBC, FBC, GBC, are overly sweet.

You need to adjust your recipe or find a new one.

Same goes with the butter flavor. Proper method, ratios, really good butter, and fine flavorings are needed to produce a great result. Don't skimp on quality because it will show up in the frosting.

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 7

[quote="scp1127"]I hate overly sweet anything and none of my European buttercreams, SMBC, IMBC, FBC, GBC, are overly sweet.quote]

I've heard of the first three, but what is GBC?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 7

Calhoun, it is the least stable of the four but the most incredible in taste because of its versatility and mellow flavor.

Basically it is a custard cooked on the stove like any custard or pudding, but I personally bump up the thickening agent for insurance. Then the hot custard is poured into the mixer and whisked for the 15 or 20 minutes to room temp just like the rest. At this point, butter is added just like the other European buttercreams.

My favorite is a version of pasrtry cream and the other is a vanilla custard with a hint of chocolate.

Thet aren't as stiff as the others and will still be softer in the refrigerator. But They can still be smoothed and used. I would think that heat would be an issue.

If you choose not to use this method on the outside of the cake, it does provide a more stabilized pastry cream or custard for fillings.

On some of my cakes, I use the custard for the filling and add the butter to make the frosting. It can be flavored just as the others, but on the pastry cream , don't cover up that so distinct taste. I use subtle flavors for the pastry cream such as a little rum and toasted coconut.

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarks0

I love SMBC because it's not so sweet. If anything, the usual complaint is that it's too buttery.

I make FromScratchSF's SMBC and it's awesome. It also needs a lot of flavouring. So if I'm making vanilla, I'll use vanilla bean paste until the taste is what I want.

http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/tutorial-swiss-meringue-buttercream/

That's a great tutorial, and I would love to try it. I do have concerns....

I live in the South and 8 months out of the year, the temperature can easily be over 72 degrees. I know a lot of people are down on American buttercream (and yes I do put butter in mine), but to be honest, it's really the only alternative for super hot weather.

Also, I'm concerned about shelf life of a cake that isn't being covered with fondant.

I noticed a lot of people in the comments had problems with the icing deflating. Is this something that happens from time to time, or completely goes away with experience? I would hate to depend on a recipe that has off days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%