Organizing Cake Supplies

Decorating By SpoiledSweet Updated 1 Jul 2011 , 6:19pm by SarahBeth3

SpoiledSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoiledSweet Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 28

Just curious...how do all of you store all of your cake supplies? Do you use shelves, containers, drawers, etc... I just have my stuff in bins under my bed but I'm running out of room lol!

27 replies
SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 28

I have a little plastic set of drawers I got from Wal-mart years ago. It's the perfect size to fit in my lower cabinet but can easily be removed, the whole thing or just one drawer! Each drawer is probably a foot deep and almost that wide but they are only a little deeper that a bottle of Wilton icing colors. I LOVE it for keeping my colors, dusts, sprinkles, tips, fondant smoother, tape measure, brushes, stitching wheel, stencils, frill cutters, dowels, ball and shell and dogbone and veining tools, flower nails, gem cutters, plunger cutters, pastry bags, cupcake papers...anyway, you get the idea. I could tell you about other ways I organize my other supplies, but this one is my favorite!

alleykat1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alleykat1 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 28

I have a 4 drawer lateral file cabinet in the garage for my cake pans boxes and cardboard rounds that I buy in bulk..etc..it keeps them clean in the garage and in the kitchen I have a buffet type cabinet with open cubes that I painted black and then got some black fabric bins with a big silver handle from bed bath and beyond and I keep my airbrush colors and other items in those and finally I have a plastic 4 drawer thing with all my small stuff ..this one I am going to replace with a black drawer unit I found at hobby lobby which will look better since my home is very open concept.. hope this helps you...it took me a while to decide what to do because I keep accumulating so much stuff lol

Connie1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Connie1027 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 28

I have a small drop-leaf, counter-height rolling kitchen cart that has a drawer and four shelves. I've outfitted it with several different types/sizes of plastic containers and drawers. I can roll it to next the table if I'm working on fondant decorations, or roll it near the counter if I need it over there. It's not big enough for pans, but it holds all of my utensils and gadgets perfectly. I usually use the top for drying my gumpaste items. It only takes up about 15"x18" of floor space.

JadedJenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JadedJenn Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:22am
post #5 of 28

I use a drawer system that I got at Ikea. It's their Antonius line. So far it works pretty well. The only thing I don't like about it is that the large drawers aren't big enough to hold my cookie sheets.

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:39am
post #6 of 28

All over the house!!!! LOL

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:39am
post #7 of 28

I have a mishmosh of things...my pans are in a cupboard stacked by size, (all round, all squares, etc)
I have one closet just for "cake things" A couple of 4 drawer tool boxes for tools, tips, color, etc...and a couple of larger 4 drawer container for most everything else. I try to keep all in one area but they tend to wander sometimes.....

stello_creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stello_creations Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:39am
post #8 of 28

Have you seen this it is the best idea I've found yet.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-49039-craftsman.html+toolbox

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:52am
post #9 of 28

I have a cake room. There's a lot going on in there.

Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 2:15am
post #10 of 28

All of my pans are in the biggest rubbermaid containers I could find at Lowe's/Home Depot in the basement, alphabetical and the type of pan written in black sharpie on the outside of the bin. My boxes and cardboards are in the extra large ziploc bags next to my fridge. My tools are in small bins that stack on a top shelfing unit in my kitchen. So, all over the house!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 2:30am
post #11 of 28

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100655787/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I have this, with several sets of cake pans on the top. The cake pans are nested according to graduating size.
Fondant cutters/tools are stacked on a shelf to themselves, in white 'shoe box', boxes, purchased for the dollar store.
I purchased a generic lime green tool box from Wal-mart for 6$ which has other fondant tools (plus my hammer for stacking cakes)
I have also checked out tackle boxes for small pieces.

Why is it, that the bulk of cake decorating supplies come from the hardware store? Lol!

SarahBeth3 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 2:49am
post #12 of 28

I saw this cool little caddy thing at Micheal's the other week that was specifically for cake decorating tools. Have any of you seen that? It was pretty neat, but super expensive. I'll stick to my $4 drawers from Wal-Mart for now.

StacyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyN Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 3:16am
post #14 of 28

I have two separate pantries in my house and I use one just to for cake stuff. I just bake for friends and family for fun so I don't have all the gadgets and doodads that I am sure some of you guys have!

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 3:27am
post #15 of 28

That Wilton caddy doesn't really hold that much. I don't have one, but I outgrew that size within 3 months of starting to decorate cakes and cookies. I need to get better organized. I have a spare bedroom that is in dire need of organizing as it is covered with cake decorating supplies and equipment. I'd like to get one of those Craftsman tool chests, but they aren't cheap! I have a few plastic chest-type storage units, but they're full and I still have stuff to put away.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 3:28am
post #16 of 28
Quote:

I have this and it was great when I only had a few supplies now I use it when delivering a cake to carry a few tips extra frosting fondant etc... in case of emergency. This is a great thread I have so much cake stuff hubby's getting a little testy about it.

SarahBeth3 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 3:45am
post #17 of 28

I'm still small stuff, so the caddy would work for me right now. I have very limited space so I 'm just buying things as I absolutely need them and since it's just family friends and people who heard about me through the grapevine, I haven't needed that much yet. There are so many cool tools that I would love to have that would save me lots of time instead of doing a lot of it old school and by hand. I'm still at the point of using a 8x8 casserole dish for square cakes and finding the round pan closes to what I'm wanting and cutting it down to the size I want, and using the same pan twice to get the two layers of a tier. lol, so time consuming. Some day I'll be up there with you Gerle and Sorella! I look at that little caddy and say, "Oh, that's the perfect size for my take along cake emergency kit." Can't wait! icon_smile.gif

mburkett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mburkett Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 4:16am
post #18 of 28

The Wilton Cady is way too small. Even if you're just starting out. You'll outgrow it quickly. Doesn't hold much and it's pretty darm expensive. It only holds 8 Wilton color tubs and a lot of fondant tools/roller won't fit in it. It was a gift from my hubby but I wouldn't have bought it myself. Its a good kit to travel though (like to and from cake classes).

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 12:51pm
post #19 of 28

Fishing tackle boxes are good if you ned something smallish but bigger than the Wilton one.

threeforhim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threeforhim Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:18pm
post #20 of 28

I have two or three sizes of pans that I use regularly in the kitchen cabinet. I have an old dresser that I've painted like my dining room table and use as a buffet. It now holds colors, fondant tools, ribbon, spatulas, cookie cutters, fondant/gumpaste, etc. I have a book shelf and a two door cabinet in our extra bedroom that hold everything else. I have a new trashcan (though it's lined, too) that holds wrapping paper and foils. Last I have a corner entertainment center (very small) in there that holds my edible image printer and all the icing sheets.

Now if someone would just respond to my question in the forums about carving knives.

Thanks.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:51pm
post #21 of 28

I'm just a hobby baker, and don't even time for that hobby sometimes. But once I bought everything I thought I needed, and I keep on buying...my boyfriend emptied two dressers in the guest room for me.

But inside those dressers I need some organization. I rely on the Lock & Lock containers. Because I want to have everything related in one place, I have to get something that will hold all of the same kind. If I bought a set of Wilton tips with 52 tips and now I have 80 tips, I need a bigger place, or I'll lose those other tips somewhere else!

So I have all kinds of these:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013G77RY/?tag=cakecentral-20

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 2:36pm
post #22 of 28

I took over the closet in my spare bedroom because I rarely have guests that need to use it.

On one side I have a 9 cube unit that I got from Target with a few of the fabric bins for storing small things. This one is for cake tools & toys. On the opposite side I have a 6 cube unit sitting on the floor & one sitting on the middle shelf at about waist level. One is for ingredients and the other is for cookie cutters. The top shelves of the closet have shoe racks lining them that I use for storing cake pans.

I lined the top of the 9 cube unit with my cookbooks, so everything is handy.

When delivering cakes, I've found that I outgrew that big Wilton caddy too so I bought a really cute bag from ThirtyOne & had it embroidered with Cake Stuff on it so that's all I use it for.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuliSchulze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuliSchulze Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 3:01pm
post #24 of 28

I am fortunate that I have a fairly large closet. My sister and I went to walmart and purchased several sizes of their plastic drawer units you should have seen us in the store stacking everything and measuring to see if it would fit! icon_razz.gif ended up with enough storage for all my pans and everything else for under $100.

Cargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cargal Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 3:44pm
post #25 of 28

http://www.familyhandyman.com/.....ep-By-Step

Oooo, i'm bookmarking this site! Though I'm sure hubby will 'need' to buy some new power tool to make it. icon_smile.gif

mburkett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mburkett Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 3:54pm
post #26 of 28

The undercabinet storage drawers are brilliant. (From Family Handyman). I already sent to link to my husband. Planning has commenced. I'm pretty good with power tools myself so this looks like a new "summer project" for me. I'm so excited!!!! Never thought I'd get a woodworking project from my cake site. (Funny thing is I used to subscribed to Family Handyman but moved from the fixer-upper house to the nice "done" house and stopped reading it).

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 4:13pm
post #27 of 28

I am just a hobby baker but the supplies do start to take over a house!!! I had them in the laundry room, kitchen AND spare bedroom. I am lucky enough to have had our entire basement finished and now have a room to put everything in (except the baking pans, food stuffs, etc. which obviously are still in the kitchen where I use them). I bought some rolling, plastic storage/drawer units from Walmart. They have all different sizes and they are quite inexpensive. They work great!!

SarahBeth3 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 6:19pm
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

What I really want is for someone to make me this, but I have no hope. lol

http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Projects/Home-Organization/Kitchen-Storage/how-to-build-under-cabinet-drawers--increase-kitchen-storage/Step-By-Step

I LOVE this!!! I asked my DH if something similar to that could be done. I think he lead me to believe it couldn't! Well, well, guess what...lol Thanks for sharing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%