Fat Daddio Mad Dadder Pans Review And Warning!!!

Decorating By BGchef Updated 13 Feb 2015 , 12:25pm by EdieBabe

BGchef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BGchef Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 5:52am
post #1 of 66

Considering I got no replies to my earlier post asking how these pans are, I guess I'm the only one on cake central who was stupid enough to buy these. So I just tested them out right now and here is my review:

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!! I really wish I hadn't icon_sad.gif

The baking was totally uneven, with the shorter side dry and rock-hard while the taller side took FOREVER to bake all the way through. Let me mention here that I am not an amateur baker, nor was my recipe flawed/untested, nor did I do anything wrong. These pans are seriously a big waste of money, a very poorly designed product, and a total rip-off. I really did not expect this from a company like fat daddio because their regular pans are excellent.

I wish I could get my hard earned money back. Anyone who has their own cake business knows how hard it is in the beginning when all your profits go directly to buying supplies, so please please please don't repeat my mistake.

I am so disappointed right now....

65 replies
mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 6:08am
post #2 of 66

I didn't know what a mad dadder pan was so I looked it up and was curious if it came with instructions on how to bake the cake evenly. Because logically if one side has more batter than the other it would be done on one side while the other was still raw..right?

BGchef Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 6:20am
post #3 of 66

Yes mena, I wish I had used the same logic before purchasing them. I really thought the manufacturer would've thought about this and designed the pan in a way that this problem could be prevented.. Apparently not...

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 6:30am
post #4 of 66

I'm sorry this happened to you but I'm glad you posted your experience so that others can learn from this too icon_smile.gif

sweetooth0510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth0510 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 8:22am
post #5 of 66

God I feel for you, it is always really hard to know what new products to buy to enhance your business and then to have something fail so badly you must be gutted.

I really hope you go back to the manufacturer and give them your feedback and I would ask them for a refund or explanation of how exactly the cake is meant to be cooked so it's even. If they are selling it they must have tested it surely!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 11:42am
post #6 of 66

Hmmm...I thought about buying those pans too....Sorry about the wasted money but I do appreciate the feedback about the pans...

GatuPR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GatuPR Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 12:29pm
post #7 of 66

I don't know if this will work but try putting aluminum foil on the smaller half side of the pan and see if that helps keeping it from cooking faster than the other side. Definitely contact the company.

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 12:48pm
post #8 of 66

Thanks for the warning, mena. I'm sorry it was at such a huge expense to you.

ysbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ysbel Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 12:57pm
post #9 of 66

This is so upsetting...I just purchased these pans & got them in the mail yesterday!
Uggghh icon_sad.gif

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 1:07pm
post #10 of 66

Maybe you could try putting a heating core on the deep end of the pan and cover the shallow end of the pan.

emmajacob2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmajacob2 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 1:12pm
post #11 of 66

icon_surprised.gif Thanks for the heads up! I have been considering buying these pans for a couple of months now, and after seeing your post, I think I will hold off! I'm so sorry for your loss of investment! I KNOW that is SO FRUSTRASTING! I hope you can find a succesful way to use them! I you do, please let us know! GOOD LUCK!

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 1:20pm
post #12 of 66

I have those pans. I don't have a problem with baking uneven. However they do take about 5 minutes longer. Other than the longer time they come out just the same as my other pans.

paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 1:34pm
post #13 of 66

mplaidgirl2 how do you bake them? I'm curious because I ordered these pans last week and should be getting them soon. It does make sense to use a heating core or a flower nail in the deeper end I may have to try that.

BGchef Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 3:06pm
post #14 of 66

Well if someone had a good experience with these, I really would like to hear more about it..

I also don't think it's safe to stack the cakes this way.. as I said in my original post, a hand-carved topsy turvy cake has a FLAT base for each tier to sit on and merely LOOKS like the tiers are slanted. With these pans, the tiers really ARE slanted and could slide right off of one another. If a topsy turvy cake was that easy to assemble, all you would have to do is slice off a chunk of your cakes at an angle and stack them on top of each other. That is essentially what this pan does. This is something I should've thought of before buying them.

As for the uneven baking, I totally blame the company. The pans should be designed in a way that the cakes bake even. If heating cores and what not are needed, the pans should come with them and special instructions on how to use them.

Anyway, this was just my honest feedback and I hope it helped. Those of you who just purchased them, I advise you to leave them in the packaging and send them right back. I am going to contact the company but considering I have already used them and don't have my receipt, I'm not sure what good it'll do. But I do know that if they do not compensate me in some way, I won't be buying from them again because this was an expensive purchase and the product is clearly flawed.

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 3:50pm
post #15 of 66

Gee...I almost considered buying them. Thanks for posting your experience.

CakesbyLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyLee Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 4:10pm
post #16 of 66

I own these pans and my experience has been totally different. It took some experimenting but I do not have any problems like you did. I own the round pans and I use flower nails and heating core on a couple. Here is what I have found works for me:

6" round pan--I use 2 flower nails in the deep end of the pan. I bake at 300 degrees.
8" pan--I use 3 or 4 njails and also bake at 300 degrees
10" round- I use 4 nails in the deep end and bake at 300
12" round--I tried with the nails but just baked last weekend with a heating core and WOW what a differnce. I also bake at 300. The heating core made a huge differnce.
14" round-- Only used it once so far and used a heating core and baked at 300, but I turned the heat down to 285 towards the end. I think the next time I will bake it at 285 to 290 with the core and see how that helps.

Overall, I am very happy with the pans. I would definitely try them again using the nails and core cause I think your experience would be better. I know of a few others who also bought them and have been happy too. I hope this helps. thumbs_up.gif

paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 4:15pm
post #17 of 66

Samar523 - you would still need to carve 1/4" or so into the tops of each one so that the tier sitting on top would sit level just like the "old fashioned topsy turvy way"

CakesbyLee - thank you for sharing! I can't wait to get mine and try them now!

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 4:40pm
post #18 of 66

I too own these pans and haven't had a problem with them. I did use the large flower nail in them though and cooked a little cooler and longer.

I don't regret buying them. Sorry the OP did not have good luck.

BGchef Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 5:35pm
post #19 of 66

Well I just wish the pans had come with the details you have provided about heating cores and lowering the temp.. Since I do want to be able to use them now that I have bought them, I will try your method CakesbyLee. Thanks so much for your help!

Paula, you are right -- the cakes do require some carving.. I'm just wondering what the point is then of using them rather than just doing a little more carving on a regular shaped cake? At least you won't face so many issues with baking, right? My point is, I don't think they are worth the money or anything that special now that I have used them. They don't make the topsy-turvy cake significantly easier in any way.

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 5:58pm
post #20 of 66

I never even considered buying these pans. I took one look at them and thought "How could you possibly cook evenly, even with the help of the cores?" and my second thought was "If I'm carving and cutting anyways, why bother? It doesn't seem to be any easier."

CakesbyLee seems to have a good system down though. Awesome!

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 6:59pm
post #21 of 66

I will agree that I was disappointed that they didn't come with any kind of directions or tips for use. Maybe the word will get back to them and they will start including that in the packaging for future sales.

cakesbykaty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykaty Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:30pm
post #22 of 66

I just used this pan set for my first topsy turvy cake and I didn't have any problems with it. I didn't have to use the largest two, I do think some sort of heating core would be a good idea there. I did still have to carve out a level place for the next tier to sit on, but having the cakes nice and even and already "tilted" was a real life saver for me since I'd never done that part. I'm sorry some folks are having such a bad time with them. Fat Daddio's has a chart on their website that shows exactly how much batter to put in the pans, that might help.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 9:58pm
post #23 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samar523

Well if someone had a good experience with these, I really would like to hear more about it..

I also don't think it's safe to stack the cakes this way.. as I said in my original post, a hand-carved topsy turvy cake has a FLAT base for each tier to sit on and merely LOOKS like the tiers are slanted. With these pans, the tiers really ARE slanted and could slide right off of one another. If a topsy turvy cake was that easy to assemble, all you would have to do is slice off a chunk of your cakes at an angle and stack them on top of each other. That is essentially what this pan does. This is something I should've thought of before buying them.

As for the uneven baking, I totally blame the company. The pans should be designed in a way that the cakes bake even. If heating cores and what not are needed, the pans should come with them and special instructions on how to use them.

Anyway, this was just my honest feedback and I hope it helped. Those of you who just purchased them, I advise you to leave them in the packaging and send them right back. I am going to contact the company but considering I have already used them and don't have my receipt, I'm not sure what good it'll do. But I do know that if they do not compensate me in some way, I won't be buying from them again because this was an expensive purchase and the product is clearly flawed.

There are different styles of doing Topsy Turvey cakes, and not all of them have a flat base to them. That's why I see some people use a tree's worth of dowels to keep a cake together!

glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 10:05pm
post #24 of 66

Can you return them?..If you are not satisfied..the company should accept them back.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 10:51pm
post #25 of 66

For anyone interested, there's Ateco heating cores in a package of 4. They look like the flower nails, but are thicker.

http://www.pastrychef.com/HEATING-CORES_p_1992.html#

I don't have the pans, and I don't use flower nails, but I just came across these and thought I'd share.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 11:02pm
post #26 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

For anyone interested, there's Ateco heating cores in a package of 4. They look like the flower nails, but are thicker.

I don't have the pans, and I don't use flower nails, but I just came across these and thought I'd share.

Quick question. Do you really have to use 4 heating cores in a deep pan? if you don't use flower nails what do you use?
ok, thank you!

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 11:06pm
post #27 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by paula0712

mplaidgirl2 how do you bake them? I'm curious because I ordered these pans last week and should be getting them soon. It does make sense to use a heating core or a flower nail in the deeper end I may have to try that.

Sorry I just saw this question now... I just use baking strips for anything 8 or under. 10 inch I use baking strips and 1 flower nail. 12 I use baking strip and 3 flower nails.

cakedoff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoff Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 11:37pm
post #28 of 66

I have this set and the first time I used them I thought I'd be throwing them out the window. After a couple of uses...I kinda like them, now. I over fill them and cut the tops off. As far as flower nails and baking cores...I hate the cores and use nails for flat cakes only. My only complaint would be that the shallow side should be deeper and then proportionately deeper going towards the deep end.

sugarlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlover Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 11:37pm
post #29 of 66

I own the pans myself and I didn't have a problem with them.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 11:44pm
post #30 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Quick question. Do you really have to use 4 heating cores in a deep pan? if you don't use flower nails what do you use?
ok, thank you!

I'll let other people answer this. All my pans are Williams Sonoma Goldtouch. They're all 2" in height. I have 3 of each size so that I can bake 3-layer cakes. They bake well all the time and they bake flat. So I don't do flower nails or heating cores or baking strips.

I just thought that those heating cores from pastrychef.com are interesting because they're in between the big core we all know from Wilton and the flower nails. I might buy them, but I don't have a need for them yet. And I don't have the particular pans discussed in this thread.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%