Cupcakes In The Mail?

Baking By kimmyboo925 Updated 2 May 2011 , 2:57am by SweetTater

kimmyboo925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmyboo925 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 24

Hey had anyone ever mailed cake? I am looking to mail some cupcakes in containers with buttercream seperate. anyone have a good idea for this?

23 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 4:04am
post #2 of 24

I do it like you said. I put the cupcakes on cardboard and put them in a food saver bag with wax paper on top. I stop the vacuum before the cupcakes start to smash. The icing gois in a pastry bag with instructions on where to snip the bag (draw it on the bag) and frost them themselves. Even though I am a scratch baker who uses only european buttercreams, I use ABC for this.

CupQuequito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupQuequito Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 4:34am
post #3 of 24

I will be shipping out to 4 different locations in the US, on Monday. They will be all set up, because I want to see how they get there, like DC cupcakes ships.. lol If they can do it, why can't we?!

KYP icon_wink.gif

scp1127 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 7:56am
post #4 of 24

Georgetown Cupcake overnights them. They provided the cupcakes for Williams-Sonoma. It was about $25.00 in packaging. I saw it in a pictoral on a cupcake blog. Their cupcakes need to be frozen.

Just checked... $25 shipping for the first dozen, $15.00 each additional dozen.

Are these for personal use? I thought you just wanted to send some cupcakes. If you are selling them, your kitchen must be approved by the FDA. These are the highest health requirements. I constructed my bakery to meet all FDA requirements. I am just waiting for a field officer to be in my area. You can get the requirement packet from your state Dept of Ag. This is not a simple prcess.

CupQuequito Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 7:59am
post #5 of 24

I have a commercial licensed kitchen. icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 8:10am
post #6 of 24

You still MUST have FDA approval, register with the Boiterrorism Act, have a recall protocol, log your production on their forms, keep the forms for the required length of time to avoid big fines, and have a ceritfied FDA nutritional label, purchased from them, on every item you ship. Not every kitchen meets FDA requirements. That is the place to start. You basically have to have every requirement met that a national restaurant chain meets. Many local health departments have much less stringent requirements and the kitchen will not pass the FDA. If one of those cupcakes makes someone sick and they report it, the Feds will be visiting you. That is why it costs $40.00 to ship DC Cupcakes... those are FDA issued rules.

I just send cupcakes to my grandson in Vermont. I will not ship for payment until that FDA permit is on my wall. The fines for noncompliance are in the packet.

CupQuequito Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 3:20pm
post #7 of 24

icon_smile.gif Thank you for the info. I will ask the Health Dept., what I need to do for my restaurant, to have the option for shipping.

First: Theses are just for friends.
Second: I have nothing perishable in my cupcakes.

I'm just sending out, because I'm apparently torturing my girlfriends with pictures online >.<

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 3:39pm
post #8 of 24

This person has sent a whole cake through the mail, so it shouldn't be a big deal, I think.

http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/2009/11/successful-experiment.html

CupQuequito Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 3:51pm
post #9 of 24

Wait.. she shipped it in just that clear tub? Awesome! Too cute.

imagenthatnj Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 4:31pm
post #10 of 24

She did. But I was at the post office once shipping some packages, and talking to the clerk. Someone came in with a gift in a clear sturdy box and they made her put it inside a cardboard box. I asked the clerk if it was possible to ship something in a clear box (didn't even dare to say it was a cake, lol ) and the clerk said no. This was in the worldly Rockefeller Center office in New York City, so I was surprised since I thought they have seen everything. Not sure where Jessica shipped from.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 5:32pm
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Georgetown Cupcake overnights them. They provided the cupcakes for Williams-Sonoma. It was about $25.00 in packaging. I saw it in a pictoral on a cupcake blog. Their cupcakes need to be frozen.

Could you post the blog link? I am wondering what their packaging is like for shipping. Or do they just use their regular cupcake boxes?

CupQuequito Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 5:36pm
post #12 of 24

It's on TLC's website. TLC.com

imagenthatnj Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 8:24pm
post #13 of 24

Here's a link to a blog where they show the box open after you receive it.

http://dailycookie.net/2011/04/delicious-decadent-georgetown-cupcakes/

scp1127 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 10:05pm
post #14 of 24

There is a blog post of the picture by picture unwrapping on http://cupcakestakethecake.blogspot.com/. Just browse when you get there. You will love the site. I lern more about the cupcake business from there than I do here.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 10:08pm
post #15 of 24

Thank you for the link. The lollipop sticks are a good idea to stop the cupcakes jumping up and down in their little compartments.

CupQuequito Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 10:09pm
post #16 of 24
Quote:

There is a blog post of the picture by picture unwrapping on http://cupcakestakethecake.blogspot.com/. Just browse when you get there. You will love the site. I lern more about the cupcake business from there than I do here.

thumbs_up.gif

scp1127 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 10:51pm
post #17 of 24

CupQuequitos, that site is one of the best sources to judge where this industry is going. It is gourmet and over the top. The bakers are very skilled. When people come on here and ask if they should open a cupcake biz with only box baking and ABC icing, I try to say that that style of baking may not work in the near future. My small WV town is now exposed to these gourmet cupcakes, macarons, and soon gourmet cake balls. You would think it would be years getting here, but here I am. By the way, my town is not my primary market, but people from here do order. And the odd thing is that the bakers here were charging prices as if they offered gourmet products. Now I am here with the real thing. I don't even push wedding cakes and I get more calls for that than anything else.

CupQuequito Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 10:58pm
post #18 of 24

I was actually on that site last night. I like it, a lot. icon_smile.gif Thank you.

My cups are vegan, even thought I am not.. Haha. I only use fresh fruits, fresh juices and high end ingredients. I don't have a store front, but I sell them a part of a dessert plate in my mother's restaurant, and in another of our smaller locations.
I've like to be mobile, by this coming fall icon_smile.gif

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 11:10pm
post #19 of 24

These cupcakes were posted by another CCer a few days ago. I think they are adorable!
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1998876

scp1127 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 11:13pm
post #20 of 24

CupQuequitos, if your mother has a restaurant, call the Dept of Ag in your state for the FDA packet. My husband is a physician and he already had many of the same types protocols set up in his practice (federal regulations), so I knew how to do them. I guess thats why I know there are stiff penalties for non-compliance. If your kitchen passes, then the rest is not dificult, just time consuming to set up. If you get the packet, I will share with you how I set mine up.

Mobile is great! With the huge cost of shipping perishable cupcakes, I think the mobile sounds like a better revenue base. My cities are too small.

I just got asked to do a vegan wedding cake and I have never baked vegan in my life. It is for a friend and I have until the end of May to figure it out. Just like gourmet cupcakes, it's a skill I had better learn. I already stock everything except the oil based products.

scp1127 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 11:31pm
post #21 of 24

jenng1482, I loved them. I do samples like that in the 4 oz cups, using mini cupcakes, but never full sized ones. It definitely went in my favorites.

CupQuequito Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 11:32pm
post #22 of 24

Will do! Thank you for the helpful info, and I'll keep you posted as I go along.

I don't tend to post all my cupcakes, because I mainly forget.. but guess what I'll be doing right now icon_wink.gif

There are 2 ways to go about a vegan cup or cake. I don't use any "dairy", not even soy products. Now, having said that; my recipe doesn't like to be in cake form. Haven't had any luck making something bigger than a 6". I'm not sure if I were to go the soy route, if that would change things.

Good luck. I'm here if you need help icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 11:37pm
post #23 of 24

Oh, no! I need a cake! I'll keep the soy idea in mind. Actually this was a huge tip for me. I was going to test recipes using cupcakes. I will definitely make the cake form. Thanks!

SweetTater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTater Posted 2 May 2011 , 2:57am
post #24 of 24
Quote:

Do you know what date the blog was posted that shows the unwrapping? I went to the site and started scrolling through, but didn't see it after 10 minutes of looking. There are a lot of posts on that site, but no search engine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%