Good Gumpaste Recipe?

Baking By TickleMySweetTooth Updated 30 Dec 2010 , 2:19pm by icer101

TickleMySweetTooth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickleMySweetTooth Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 4

Hey all,
I'm looking for a good gumpaste recipe.. Which one do you use/would recommend?
Thanks!!! thumbs_up.gif

3 replies
mjs10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs10 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 10:15am
post #2 of 4

Hi,
This is the how i make my own gum paste and it work great.

8oz icing sugar (powdered sugar)
3 tsp gum trag
5-6 tsp water

Sieve the sugar and gum trag into a bowl and add about 5 tsp of water, mix together, add more water to bring it together if you need it then tip it out of the bowl and knead it well until it is all mixed together and smooth, wrap it it a food bag and an airtight container and leave for 24 hours.

After 24 hours take it out of the bag and container (it will feel very hard) and knead well, once its kneaded it will become workable.

If you dont need all of it you can wrap it back up in an airtight bag and container and freeze it.

If you dont want to wait 24 hours and need it sooner replace the gum trag with tyloce, you will only need to leave this for 1 hour before you use it but it wont be as strong as it will with gum trag.

Hope this helps let me know how you do. [/u]

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 11:03am
post #3 of 4

4 egg whites
7 cups confectioners sugar
12 teaspoons of tylose powder

Whip egg whites for 10 seconds. Add sugar set the mixer for 4 and mix for 2 minutes. Add tylose over the period of 5 seconds then put mixer on high until it thickens (will only take a few seconds). Turn out on a dusted table and need until you can mash your thumb into it and the impression stays. Then you double bag the gumpaste and store for 24 hours in fridge. It is then ready to use. Always keeped double bagged and in fridge when not in use.

This is Nicolas Lodge's recipe drys quickly and is the only one I ever use. I usually make 4 batches at a time so it can stay in fridge for 6 months at least.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 4

i also make nick lodges' recipe. love it. and it can stay in freezer up to 3 yrs. thats the beauty of it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%