Saturday Tastings

Business By karateka Updated 24 Dec 2010 , 4:09pm by Annabakescakes

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 17

I wonder if I am alone in this.

I offer my tastings on Sundays. Saturdays are bad for me. When I have orders, that is when they are due and being picked up and delivered.

I have had 2 brides lately tell me that they work every Sunday and can only come on Saturday. I explain why I can't do Saturdays and ask if another day of the week would work for them. They get snotty and hang up as though I told them to F off.

I don't understand this attitude since both of these brides had their wedding scheduled for a Saturday. Am I the only one who doesn't do tastings on Saturdays? I feel like I'm failing the test....

16 replies
hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 17

Each month I do my tasting on a different day of the month to try and accomodate all different kinds of schedules. I'll even do a Saturday but, I schedule my appointments around my deliveries. For example: If my deliveries start at noon...I'll make 9 and 10 a.m. appointments. Then if I I'll be done by 4 p.m. ...I'll have a 5 p.m., 6 p.m., and 7 p.m. appointments. I try to be accomodating but also firm that I must block out enough time to deliver my wedding cakes for that weekend.
The one day a week I make myself completely unavailable for consults and tastings is Sunday. That is family day. And unless it is an out of town bride...I don't usually budge on that.
Make your schedule, be flexible it you can and if they aren't willing to work with you and respect your schedule too...they aren't brides you want.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 17

If you are offering to meet another day of the week and they are snotty about it, then the problem is them. Not you.

I'd say be grateful you that you won't have to deal with a bridezilla but I know it sucks when you want the business, too.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 17

I don't offer Saturday consultations. Never have, never will. On the rare Saturday I don't have a wedding, I enjoy my day off. I tell brides online and in person/on the phone, "Saturday is devoted to the brides who contracted with me to provide their wedding cake. On YOUR day I will provide the same level of attention to your cake that I am providing to the bride who contracted me for her Saturday."

That said, I schedule appointments after work, even starting as late as 8 pm and on Sunday for out of town brides.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 10:34pm
post #5 of 17

I also avoided sat appointments for the simple reason that I was usually not in the shop because I was delivering cakes and/or cooking and setting up a catering. Big DUH on that one, bride!!!

If her dentist is closed on every single Monday, she's not going to get a Monday appt, no matter how hard she stamps her little foot.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 17

Yes. I can't understand the attitude, when they in turn would expect to receive your utmost attantion on THEIR wedding day!

The_Caketress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Caketress Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 17

Most of the time(due to that I'm deliverying cakes) I don't do consults on Saturdays. Truthfully I fit them in when and at te earliest convenience to them. The earlier you book a bride the larger her budget and priority is for the cake so if it means meeting them on a Saturday I do it.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 3:09am
post #8 of 17

Truth is, I'm not very busy with cakes now, but with everything going on on Saturdays around the house and the added possibility of deliveries and pickups on Saturday, then I think it is a bad time for them. I offer them most Sundays and I even politely asked if there was another day that would work, and I was pretty much told that if I'm not willing to meet on Saturday then thanks but no thanks. I tried to tell her that depending on the Saturday it might work out that I could fit one in and proceed to ask what saturday after the holidays was good, and I got that firm "Well, ok, thank you" and hang up.

Honestly....This is the second bride with the same story: Both she and her fiance work Sundays, can only meet on Saturdays, can't meet during the week....I feel like it's some kind of secret code. Or I am the biggest jinx in the cake decorating world right now.

icon_confused.gif

I'm glad to hear some of you don't do Saturdays, either. It makes me feel less of an ass.

pixiefuncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixiefuncakes Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 3:45am
post #9 of 17

I think you might have actually dodged a couple of bridezilla bullets there. If they already have the attitude of no compromise then how on earth are they going to stay married??????

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 1:59pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiefuncakes

I think you might have actually dodged a couple of bridezilla bullets there. If they already have the attitude of no compromise then how on earth are they going to stay married??????

AGREED!!

I occassionaly do Saturday consults, but only if they are convenient for my schedule. When scheduling a consult I typically send the bride 4 to five date/ times to select from which I am available to do a consult. I present it in a "matter of fact" way... "I am available theese following dates and times for a consult, please let me know which works best for you"

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 7:35pm
post #11 of 17

I have done a couple but it was based solely on my schedule. I usually do them on Tuesday or Wednesday.

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 9:06am
post #12 of 17

bridezillas!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 5:05pm
post #13 of 17

I occassionally squeeze in an early tasting - like 8AM early. But otherwise, nope.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 1:23am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I don't offer Saturday consultations. Never have, never will. On the rare Saturday I don't have a wedding, I enjoy my day off. I tell brides online and in person/on the phone, "Saturday is devoted to the brides who contracted with me to provide their wedding cake. On YOUR day I will provide the same level of attention to your cake that I am providing to the bride who contracted me for her Saturday."

That said, I schedule appointments after work, even starting as late as 8 pm and on Sunday for out of town brides.

I love it!

edited to add I NEVER do Saturday consults, or Friday either. I prefer Mon and Tues.

SwtCanuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwtCanuck Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 7:19am
post #15 of 17

I don't do consultations on Thursdays, Fridays or Saturdays because I am the only one in my shop and am usually baking, decorating and delivering. I explain this to the customer and everyone seems to understand. You need to work around your own life first, don't let the business or anyone else run your life.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 3:12pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:

so true...These two have the "It's my big day and everyone can just change their lives to accomodate me" attitude already, so you're probably lucky to have them hang up on you. I don't know why people think that they can call and tell us when they'll be coming in...so obnoxious. If they say "I work on Sundays" then I say "I do too, that's when I do tastings. Can you get someone to come pick up some samples for you?"

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 4:09pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

so true...These two have the "It's my big day and everyone can just change their lives to accommodate me" attitude already, so you're probably lucky to have them hang up on you. I don't know why people think that they can call and tell us when they'll be coming in...so obnoxious. If they say "I work on Sundays" then I say "I do too, that's when I do tastings. Can you get someone to come pick up some samples for you?"

Maybe you could have them pick up the samples and do the consult via email. You could make a form for them to fill out and send back, then clarify over the phone. I have done 4 or 5 wedding cakes for girls where the consult was done via email, or facebook, while they were away at college, or otherwise very busy. I love to have the written account of everything I can go back to for clarification. I have had a couple girls pick up samples. Most of my "samples" are done at other weddings, like when a friend of theirs got married or had a shower and they had my cake and loved it, so they got my number or saw me on facebook and contacted me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%