Budget Cakes Question

Business By Pebbles1727 Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 10:39pm by 7yyrt

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 20

Hi there,
i know a while back there were several threads discussing budget cakes options for wedding: only couple of flavors to choose from and basic designs. Anyone has a link to those? And if not, and you are offering budget cakes, do you mind sharing your experience and your offerings?
Thanks in advance, P

19 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 20

Those links do not seem to work icon_sad.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 20

I offered a special last year. Advertised it starting a month before. It ran for 3 months....could choose one of several designs (could alter colors), in two different cake flavors with basic buttercream...to anyone getting married before 12/31/09 that booked and paid, in full, before the special's end date...3 tier cake-12/8/6 for $99....LOL! One bride (actually ordered by a distant family member...bride knew nothing about it) from it.

I got, "hmmmm uh...." like something was amok with 'em or somethin'. So, after it was done it was done. I thought about doing another one but couldn't decide what I wanted to do...I think this year will go without one of any kind.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 20

Oh, thats strange, not working for me now either but I checked them before I posted them icon_eek.gif. If you go to the Search button on the PURPLE tool bar, (not the bluey coloured button at the top), and type -budget AND wedding-, ask it to search in the Cake Decorating Business forum, you should find a thread where KansasLaura was asking. I got the two links from there icon_smile.gif

all4cake Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 20

oh yeah...and they got no consultation and no tasting either...email or by phone...done.

Pebbles1727 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:45pm
post #7 of 20

do you by any chance have pics of your design choices for that special?

all4cake Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:25am
post #9 of 20

I'll try again...

okay, so there's issues.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1774901

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1774904

These were made using the same dummy (note the evidence of another design)

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 5:07am
post #10 of 20

Here's what I did... I offered the budget bride option... *I* design the cake using their details (they needed to provide a color swatch, invitation, photo of the bride's gown or designer info), for $2.50/slice compared to my normal $4/slice starting... It's a good hook, but in the end, no one wants to give up the control so it hooked them in for the consult but most decided to go with something they designed...

The thing to remember with discounts like this is that you've got to have a sound contract that they're not to outsource other desserts/cake to the event and the consequences of such...

all4cake Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:40pm
post #11 of 20

Mine was created more for my sanity than anything else (I seen that with my 20/20 hindsight). I was really wanting a break from the consultations, the I want this and this and this and oh, are you sure you can do that, and the tastings, and the hype and pretention that has been pumped into ordering a cake. Not one has ordered anything out of the ordinary as far as flavors go and they've all been "safe" designs...just figured it'd make both sides happy...I wouldn't have to consult, it'd be a basic cake order, no tastings...I want this in this flavor, with these colors at this time and place....done.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:43pm
post #12 of 20

Here is the link to my econoline cakes.
www.cakes-divine.com/99dollarcollection.html

I have only sold 1. They do draw in interest, but all but one of the brides that called me in regard to the econoline cakes ended up getting a custom cake at regular prices. So personally I have done well with the line since it actually led to higher priced cakes icon_smile.gif

all4cake Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:56pm
post #13 of 20

cakesdivine, I love your order page! I want one of those!

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:00pm
post #14 of 20

Oh my goodness....love this idea and am definitely going to offer something like this for brides on a budget! cakesdivine....love the ease of ordering/reserving a cake like these on your website!

cakesdivine Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:05pm
post #15 of 20

Thanks. I use Yahoo Sitebuilder and built the orderforms on my site myself, heck built the whole site myself...LOL! I love being able to update things quickly as needed instead of having to call some IT person to do it for me and then wait until they have time to fit me in their schedule to make the changes I need.

all4cake Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:19pm
post #16 of 20

cambo, is it my imagination (or lack thereof), or have you been MIA for a while???

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:34pm
post #17 of 20

Cakesdivine, I really like your basic, economy cakes idea! but then, my taste runs toward simple designs, clean lines, etc. Or maybe that's because I'm such a beginner at tiered cakes, and simple is all I can do myself! icon_lol.gif

Actually, I'm surprised more brides don't take you up on this offer, given the economy. But I'm so glad it's lead to higher priced cakes for you!

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:41pm
post #18 of 20

Cakesdivine, I just spent some time exploring your site.......wow! really nicely organized. Oh, and I am in awe of all the beautiful cakes, pies, pastries you offer. You are quite a pastry chef!! Are you self-taught or did you go to pastry school?

cakesdivine Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:01pm
post #19 of 20

Thank you cakeythings1961. I did not go to pastry school. So I would not even be bold enough to give myself that monacre. I learned from my best friend's mom growing up, Wilton, a few master pastry chefs & cake artists, and on the job in privately owned bakeries and grocery stores. I have toyed with the idea of pastry school, but they are so expensive, and due to my other jobs (administrator at a church and dance educator at my & my husband's dance studio) I just can't see fitting it into the schedule anytime soon. Generally, if I want to learn how to do something, the internet is a wonderful source to figure it out. Plus, I do alot of experimenting. icon_wink.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%