What Do You Use To Decorate Your Cake Boards?

Decorating By Cargen Updated 9 Jan 2017 , 9:53pm by Frostedfantasies08

Cargen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cargen Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 33

I am still pretty new to this and trying to suck in all the information I can. As I start to make different cakes, I want to dress up my cake boards more. I usually cover them in foil and know how to cover them in fondant, but fondant is soooo expensive, so I was looking for ideas of other things I can use.

What have you done that has worked? What have you done that hasn't worked? Any of your expertise would be greatly appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

32 replies
sweet_T7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_T7 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 33

I have used wrapping paper covered with clear contact paper...fabric also covered in the contact. I use foil a lot too but not to big on the look

jlkallred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlkallred Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 33

I've started trying to make my cake board small enough so that there isn't much left to see, cover it w/ the Wilton paper, then use ribbon around the edges ( I used a feather boa once and it was really cool looking!) These aren't my ideas, tho. I tried the fondant, but kept getting finger prints on it icon_sad.gif I'm excited to hear what other people do, bc the "safe" cakeboard cover is expensive, too. I hadn't tho't about contact paper~SO many smart people here on CC!!

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 33

Good question. I'd also like to know how you transport a cake that has a base decorated with fondant or BC? It seems to me that it would be impossible to pick it up & carry it with icing on the cake board. Any tips?

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 33

I buy plastic tablecloths in all the colors I can, and then use that and trim the edge with ribbon. The colors are great and is really cheap since one tablecloth lasts a log time. Also, I get white contact paper for the white boards, and ocassionaly a patterned paper covered in clear contact. But the plastic tablecloths are my go to thing.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeythings1961

Good question. I'd also like to know how you transport a cake that has a base decorated with fondant or BC? It seems to me that it would be impossible to pick it up & carry it with icing on the cake board. Any tips?

I've had several customers that did not want a fondant covered board for that reason. My absolute favorite way to cover a cakeboard is with freezer paper (shiny side up) . It's really inexpensive and so durable. My sister brought my cakeboard back to me after they finished my niece's cake and there weren't even any grease spots on the freezer paper. She had wiped it clean and it didn't even looked used icon_lol.gif
I also use fabric and wrapping paper covered with clear contact paper. My cakes are always on their own cakeboard so they never actually 'touch' the cake base. I know that contact paper isn't 'food safe' that's why I don't put my cake directly on the decorated cakeboard. And....whether I'm using freezer paper or fabric...I glue matching ribbon around the edge of my cakeboards as well.

Creativebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativebakes Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:16pm
post #7 of 33

what is contact paper and can I buy some?

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:19pm
post #8 of 33

Vagostino & Mamawrobin,
These are great ideas!! Very classy and cost efficient. I've been buying the Wilton cake drums at Walmart, but they look so clunky. I'm strictly an amateur, but I still like the cakes I make for others to look nice.

BTW, On Edna's site, the judges of her summer cake theme competition were all critical of the cakes that were presented on ugly bases. Kerry Vincent was really tsk-tsking the shabby looking cake boards...she is a stickler for details! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ETA:
Here's the link:
http://www.designmeacake.com/blog.html

Cargen Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 3:29pm
post #9 of 33

Thank you so much guys! I LOVE the contact paper idea b/c wrapping paper is not grease proof, but you can do so much with it. Would have never thought of that. Mamawrobin- I will make sure to put another cake board under it. I don't like making such a nice cake and then putting it on a foil base- BORING!!! Going to have to try the ribbon as well.

Do you guys ever ask for your boards back or are they just gone forever?

Cargen Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 3:31pm
post #10 of 33

oh, forgot to answer creativebakes... Contact paper is just plastic that is sticky on one side. A lot of people use colored contact paper to line their cabinets but you can buy it in clear as well. You can get it almost anywhere.

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 4:20pm
post #12 of 33

My favorite for covering the board is fondant. If you have scraps of fondant from other projects, you can use that and can roll it pretty thin to help out with the cost factor. Also, if using fondant to cover the board cover it a few days ahead of time to give the fondant time to dry and that solves the fingerprint problem.

I have also used wrapping paper, covered with clear shelf paper. If using wrapping paper I would suggest to be careful not to use paper that is too busy. If the paper is very busy it can draw the eye away from all of your hard work you put into your cake!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 4:46pm
post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cargen

Thank you so much guys! I LOVE the contact paper idea b/c wrapping paper is not grease proof, but you can do so much with it. Would have never thought of that. Mamawrobin- I will make sure to put another cake board under it. I don't like making such a nice cake and then putting it on a foil base- BORING!!! Going to have to try the ribbon as well.

Do you guys ever ask for your boards back or are they just gone forever?

If it's cakes for my family or close friends I always ask for them back. I don't ever buy cake drums...I tape 3 or 4 cardboard cake circles together then cover them. with whatever I'm using to cover the board with. Looks the same as a drum and is just as strong. I buy the cake circles in bulk through the bakery where I work so it's just much cheaper for me to use them rather than buying cake drums.....and in case I don't get them back it really isn't much of a loss. Sometimes customers will ask if I'd like for them to return the base..of course I always say yes thumbs_up.gif .

I'm working on a cake right now and I'm using white fabric with black polka dots to cover my cakeboard with.....the middle tier is going to match the cakeboard. I'm hoping it will be as cute as I think it's going to be. I used red and white gingham on the cakeboard for my sister's birthday cake (small white cake w/red flower) that's in my photo's. I've also used the cheap plastic tablecloths (also cover them with clear contact paper)...I used a black one on my Mario cake. I love the look of a black cakeboard for some cakes...it really makes them pop....I think using the black board for the Mario cake really made it look much better than it would have otherwise.

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 5:00pm
post #14 of 33

I almost always use wrapping paper. I buy it at dollar tree to keep my costs down. I cover it in contact paper and put a pretty ribbon on it. If it is more than one tier I use MDF that I have cut home depot. I love the MDF and buy the half inch to just buy that size ribbon.

jlkallred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlkallred Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 5:00pm
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy1204

I almost always use wrapping paper. I buy it at dollar tree to keep my costs down. I cover it in contact paper and put a pretty ribbon on it. If it is more than one tier I use MDF that I have cut home depot. I love the MDF and buy the half inch to just buy that size ribbon.

The last time I went to Home Depot, I was told they wouldn't cut it anymore. I'll have to try again!

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 5:11pm
post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeythings1961

The fondant dries fairly quickly therefore won't leave fingerprints when you touch it. I'd say it takes a couple hrs to dry

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 5:13pm
post #17 of 33

i typically buy MDF board that my husband cuts to size. I can get about 5-6 boards out of one MDF. I don't ask for it back because I usually cover in fondant and it would take too long to scrap that off.

Good idea about the wrapping paper and clear contact paper. I've seen some pretty paper that would look great under a cake icon_smile.gif

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 5:44pm
post #18 of 33

Mine still cuts and last time didn't charge me. If not my husband can do it for me. If it is for friends or family I do ask for my board back tear off the paper and reuse the board if its a paying customer I do not ask for it back but still sometimes get them back!

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 8:12pm
post #19 of 33

I've used wrapping paper, contact paper, fabric and fondant. I've even used fall leaves under clear contact paper. To save on the fondant, I draw the cake size on the board (I use 1/2" foam core) and only put the fondant around the perimeter, about an inch inside the line. I let it dry for a couple of days then glue on the appropriate ribbon. To make picking up the cake easier, I use a tip I learned here on CC. Glue three little wooden doll pin stands, (cheap at Michael's or similar) on the base before you decorate it. I don't expect the foam core back, but my family and friends do twist off and return the wooden pieces. (They are so inexpensive, but what the heck. I appreciate it.)

momomom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momomom Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 5:18am
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaid42

I've used wrapping paper, contact paper, fabric and fondant. I've even used fall leaves under clear contact paper. To save on the fondant, I draw the cake size on the board (I use 1/2" foam core) and only put the fondant around the perimeter, about an inch inside the line. I let it dry for a couple of days then glue on the appropriate ribbon. To make picking up the cake easier, I use a tip I learned here on CC. Glue three little wooden doll pin stands, (cheap at Michael's or similar) on the base before you decorate it. I don't expect the foam core back, but my family and friends do twist off and return the wooden pieces. (They are so inexpensive, but what the heck. I appreciate it.)

I'm not sure I can picture that - maybe i'm not clear on what a doll pin stand is? Can anyone clarify?

tia

kseevers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kseevers Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 5:47am
post #21 of 33

I do the wrapping paper with contact as well. I also do fondant covered boards, and fanci foil covered as well. My hubby cuts me boards, so they are all different sizes. Some I ask for back (the big ones), and some I don't care. I usually put riboons around my wedding cakes.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:14am
post #22 of 33

Please be aware that NO type of contact paper (or wrapping paper, for that matter), is food safe, so the cake should NEVER sit directly on it.

The colored contact paper (and wrapping papers) have lead in the dyes which will leach out into food. The clear contact paper also has softening agents (phthalates) in it that are carcinogenic and will leach into food left sitting on it, particularly greasy and acidic foods.

There needs to be a barrier (a separate cake board, wax paper, parchment paper) between the cake and icing and the contact paper.

I received the info directly from Kitterich Corp., makers of a brand of contact paper, several years ago when this was brought up on CC.

Rae

milkmaid42 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:37pm
post #23 of 33

Thanks for the reminder re contact paper. I put my cakes on a "Press & Seal" covered 1/2" foam core board, (cut to the exact size of the cake) when I decorate, then they are placed on the decorated cake board. So the actual cake doesn't come in contact with the board. I was thinking primarily of the decorated board and should have been more explicit.
Here is a photo of the little wooden dealies I mentioned. Hope this helps.

milkmaid42 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:37pm
post #24 of 33

I am so exasperated! I have spent nearly the whole last hour trying to post the picture. I've never had trouble before. I even tried posting in my photos but to no avail. With my incredibly slow dial up, I don't want to try for a 5th time. So sorry.
I'm sure you could ask any salesperson. Here is the brand I found: Made by Loew Cornell, comes in a cello pack of 20. Has the name "Woodsies" across the bottom. They are about 1" in diameter on the large end, beveled softly to around 5/8" on the small. They are hollow in the center and stand about 1/2" tall. Aside from describing the color, (!) that is about as concise a description I can give. Oh, for a photo. Gotta find out what's wrong, why I can't post.
I hope this helps you. They are truly a life saver for me when lifting a cake.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 6:46am
post #25 of 33

I use wrapping paper covered with cellophane. On cakes under 12 inches, I go to Michael's and get scrapbook paper to compliment the cake and again cover with cellophane.

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 9:43am
post #26 of 33

I use the silver cake drums but I cover them with sugarpaste+tylo powder gumpasty stuff. Roll it out brush the board with water lay it on and smooth it trim the edges and box it up and let it dry, it's nice and hard and you dont need so much in my experience as you can roll it quite thin. I keep icing "scraps" in bags and use them for this rather than throwing it away straight away. x

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 6:24pm
post #27 of 33

What is MDF board?

milkmaid42 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 6:58pm
post #28 of 33

Medium Density Fiberboard. It is a pressed wood product and can be found in many home improvement stores, such as Lowe's or Home Depot in the States. You probably have a similar type store in Canada?

Msjckson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Msjckson Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 4:28am
post #29 of 33

I'm new to cake decorating.. what is MDF? You guys have given me some great ideas for cake boards. Thanks!

sjc0858 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjc0858 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 8:22pm
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msjckson

I'm new to cake decorating.. what is MDF? You guys have given me some great ideas for cake boards. Thanks!

Read def given directly above your ??icon_smile.gif

Thanks for all the great ideas all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%