New Wmi... Any Advice?

Decorating By DefyGravity Updated 29 Oct 2010 , 12:32am by tmdoxie

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 69

This morning I heard back from Wilton, and I'm going to be a WMI.

From what I was told, the store I'll be in is relatively new, but used to have a thriving class program, up until the instructor got in a really bad car accident a few months ago. She didn't recover the way she was expecting to, and had to quit teaching.

I'm told that I shouldn't view this as a temporary thing or to think that this won't be my class, so that was one thing I was worried about that got laid to rest.

I'm meeting with the store manager this week, going to send out the check for my kit today, and hopefully we can get the class up and running asap.

I've been a TA in college before and have given lectures in front of 170+ students, so I'm not really overwhelmed by speaking in front of people.

Any tips/advice for me that isn't included in the training materials Wilton is going to send me?

Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

68 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:41am
post #2 of 69

pm me your email address so i can get you on the wmi only message board.

DefyGravity Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:41am
post #3 of 69

PM sent!

I had no idea there was a WMI board... Neat! icon_smile.gif

cakeprof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeprof Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 69

May want to check out the Wilton forum for the basic course. There are a couple of threads (within the past 4 or 5 weeks) of people discussing their experiences with their WMI. Now as a former TA you know evals will be influenced by disgruntled students, however, it is a place to get decent insights into what folks are finding useful and not so useful in the new courses and their instructors.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 5:54am
post #5 of 69

My best tip is to bring your knowledge and have fun with it. I find that my students respond best when they can tell I am having a blast decorating right along with them.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 69

Have fun!

I'm not a strict teacher. I teach what we need for that lesson, sometimes get to throw in a little extra, but I want my students to have fun and enjoy coming to class. For alot of them this is this time away from work, kids and hubby and their relaxing time.

DefyGravity Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 69

I have my supplies now and I'm just starting out with teaching one course (Decorating Basics) on Tuesday nights in September.

My OCD personality is forcing me to read the lesson plans over and over, and pretty soon I'll probably go through the whole class, with my 2 year old twins as an audience icon_wink.gif

I'm not really concerned about the class flowing along (though I certainly don't want all of my students to run out of the classroom and demand a refund) but I want to make sure I'm filing all of the paperwork correctly. That's the main reason I'm taking it easy with only one class this month.

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 3:48pm
post #8 of 69

My Husband is starting his Basic Course in September. After the ICES cake show in San Diego and looking at the Cake Displays on room near the Vendor Hall. He wants to take classes.

I go with him to his yoga conventions in New york and East Coast. He is a yoga freak and teachers partime yoga in the evenings and weekends. I tried enrolling in yoga classes but find it boring. I prefer walking and pilates.

I am glad he is going to learn how to decorate a cake! Now he understands why cake addicts love going to cake shows!

TexasSugar Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 69

Defy, which account are you teaching at?

DefyGravity Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 3:29pm
post #10 of 69

Hobby Lobby in Peoria, AZ.

TexasSugar Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 9:53pm
post #11 of 69

Ahh okay, then you have the getting paid paper work you have to deal with.

The tracking and student forms are pretty easy.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 12:49pm
post #12 of 69

Not a WMI but congrats!!! Enjoy teaching!

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:54am
post #13 of 69

Have fun! Keep the experience positive! Don't be afraid to make a mistake- and when you do- take it in stride- make it a learning opportunity!

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:08am
post #14 of 69

I will teach my first class on Sept 5th. I have 2 signed up so far but am hoping that more will sign up. Im excited about it and can't wait.

DefyGravity Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:33am
post #15 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie86

I will teach my first class on Sept 5th. I have 2 signed up so far but am hoping that more will sign up. Im excited about it and can't wait.

Maybe we can commiserate with our first class woes?

I made a website to coincide with my class. It's not done yet, but I think it's off to a nice start. What do you guys think?

www.cakesfromlisa.com

sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:47am
post #16 of 69

I just started at Hobby Lobby in June, and I love it. If you are out of AZ, then I think our Supervisor is the same. If you want to PM me, I can give you little tips that are HL secrets icon_wink.gif

DefyGravity Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:15pm
post #17 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart6710

I just started at Hobby Lobby in June, and I love it. If you are out of AZ, then I think our Supervisor is the same. If you want to PM me, I can give you little tips that are HL secrets icon_wink.gif

First the secret WMI forum, now HL secrets? I feel so sneaky icon_wink.gif

TexasSugar Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:40pm
post #18 of 69

Shhh!

Actually the WMI forum isn't a secret. We all need a place to go to grip sometimes, and since it is hard to find privacy on the net we had to do it somewhere. What is great about the WMI forum (and yes some people Wilton knows about it) is that it gives us a place to go and complain about issues with our managers or students or anyone else and not have to worry about who sees it. Only WMI's are allowed there, so you don't have to worry about your Wilton Supervisor or mananger or who ever seeing something you write and taking it the wrong way. icon_smile.gif

We are only human and often need a place to blow off stem or get advice on how to handle a situation or so on.

DefyGravity Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 12:40am
post #19 of 69

My tracking information came today, and I'm pretty sure that's the last of my supplies.

I can't wait to get going!

TexasSugar Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:24pm
post #20 of 69

Are you starting in Sept? Do you have any flyers up at the store? Sign in sheets in the book?

DefyGravity Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:23pm
post #21 of 69

Yep, the manager put all the signage back up, the Office Manager put it on the website, and I was told they're going to start putting half sheet flyers in people's bags when they check out.

The other day I made sure that the book was all set up and ready to go.

TexasSugar Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:26pm
post #22 of 69

Must be nice to have a store that does all that for ya! Lucky you! icon_wink.gif

Good luck!

If you ever have any questions, feel free to message me.

DefyGravity Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:33pm
post #23 of 69

I definitely will! I'm grateful that I have people to go to where I can ask these kinds of things icon_smile.gif

Thanks so much!

Peeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeb Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:50pm
post #24 of 69

I'm so glad I saw this! I just got my placement, and I'll be starting in October!! icon_biggrin.gif
Good luck everyone! thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:09pm
post #25 of 69

Any time Defy!

Congrats Peeb!

DefyGravity Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:13pm
post #26 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeb

I'm so glad I saw this! I just got my placement, and I'll be starting in October!! icon_biggrin.gif
Good luck everyone! thumbs_up.gif

Hooray! Where will you be teaching?

Peeb Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:17pm
post #27 of 69

I'm going to be at the Hobby Lobby in Pekin, IL. Which, incidentally is right near Peoria, IL. I was so excited that you were so close...until I saw AZ! lol!

DefyGravity Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:24pm
post #28 of 69

Haha, I'm from MI and new to AZ, so I still immediately think of IL when I hear Peoria.

Peeb Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 5:50pm
post #29 of 69

MI to AZ? That's quite a climate change to get used to! Did you have to change any of your recipes to accommodate for the high heat?

DefyGravity Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 6:19pm
post #30 of 69

I had never found a BC recipe I was really happy with in the first place, so for the one cake I've done since I got here, I decided to try IndyDebi's BC. I couldn't believe how well it stood up to my oven of a house. I haven't tried making fondant here yet, but hopefully it won't be too bad.

(My husband is in the Air Force, so in the last 4 years, I was in MI, then to TX, then back to MI for a while, now we're in AZ. I feel like a ping pong ball with the temperature extremes, haha)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%