28 Mini Cakes

Decorating By MommaDukes Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 7:05pm by MommaDukes

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 11:36am
post #1 of 6

I have been asked to make 28 6" cakes for center pieces at a wedding.

How many 6x3" pans should I get for the baking? I have double ovens.
How far in advance can I bake these puppies and they still taste fresh?

This is so new to me I think I'll have a heart attack before it's over.

Thanks.

5 replies
dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 12:10pm
post #2 of 6

not sure how many i would buy, perhaps enough to place on cookie sheets in one of the ovens to bake one time. how many do you currently have? i have four and it seems like those aren't enough for me from time to time. i've never had such a large order of mini-cakes. what about baking large pans of cake. maybe 16" square/ 12" x18" sheets and use a cutter to cut the circles from the larger cakes icon_rolleyes.gif partially freeze them before cutting, fill and stack, then crumbcoat, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for a few days if needed.

MommaDukes Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 12:17pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianaguerrant

not sure how many i would buy, perhaps enough to place on cookie sheets in one of the ovens to bake one time. how many do you currently have? i have four and it seems like those aren't enough for me from time to time. i've never had such a large order of mini-cakes. what about baking large pans of cake. maybe 16" square/ 12" x18" sheets and use a cutter to cut the circles from the larger cakes icon_rolleyes.gif partially freeze them before cutting, fill and stack, then crumbcoat, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for a few days if needed.

Thanks, I have a side by side fridge with freezer space of a gnats behind.
I have 1 pan right now, it is one my Mom used for my weddindg cake 36 yrs ago. I figure after they are baked I can wrap tightly and freeze the 6 inchers if we eat alot out of the freezer.

What would be the longest I could put in the freezer?

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 12:20pm
post #4 of 6

I recently made 25, 2 layer 6" centerpiece cakes for a friends wedding. I only had 10 pans, and I too have double ovens, I baked 5 in each at a time, it took a little longer, but I didn't feel the need to buy more pans. I baked on Tuesday, cooled, leveled and torted, froze until Thursday morning, let thaw, crumb coated, iced and decorated, then finished the 3 tier wedding cake on Friday. They were all still moist and delicious on Saturday. This is just what worked for me. Hobby Lobby has a 30% off coupon on all Wilton products if you feel you want more pans. HTH

btw- I love your signature line!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 6

I would think about cutting them out of sheets, see how many you can cut from one sheet pan and just bake them that way. The way i see it if cut right you should be able to get 6 layers from one 12x18 sheet. That takes care of 3 cakes in each baked cake, i can fit 3 of these pans in my oven at one time (its tight but can be done) That gives me 9 double layers in one bake.

Personally i wouldn't want to go out a buy a bunch of 6in pans that you might not need in the future.

MommaDukes Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 6

btw- I love your signature line!

Thanks Hobby Baker

Thanks for all the input. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%