What Non-Cake Decorating Items Do You Have?

Decorating By JennieB Updated 26 Jul 2010 , 11:52pm by mamawrobin

JennieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennieB Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:19am
post #1 of 27

Ok, this weekend I used the "stocking trick" for piping with my #1 tip and it was amazing! Worked like a charm no issues at all. My cake decorating instructor told me in my first class that clogging in those fine writting tips was something I was just going to have to get use to and keep a toothpick handy icon_cry.gif but thanks to Cake Central!! I also just read about leah_s trick with the ceramic tile.
So what other interesting non-cake decorating items do we all have in our collection?

26 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:31am
post #2 of 27

My favorite one is the foam paint roller for the melvira method...

Others:
- Stainless steel Key stock for thickness guides when rolling out sugar cookies
- Putty Knifes (a few different sizes)

there are more, i'll have to go take a quick look through the drawers and get back to you.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:57am
post #3 of 27

Some of my favorites... laser level.....foam roller.......PVC pipe rolling pin....vinyl mats....putty knife....clay extruder.....just to name a few.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 12:23pm
post #4 of 27

Wallpaper cutter, putty knife, masher, small textured rubber mats
and whatever else looks interesting. icon_smile.gif

bakescupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakescupcakes Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 12:28pm
post #5 of 27

Vinyl mat, PVC pipe for rolling pin, and used a garlic crusher to make tassels for grad cap. Can't think of anything else at the moment....

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 12:45pm
post #6 of 27

I too use the sponge paint roller and I use a small quilt cutting mat to roll and cut my gum paste on for flowers I also have a pasta machine

Molly

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:01pm
post #7 of 27

Herb mincer (cut long narrow strips of fondant)
Vinyl mat
Bench scraper
plastic sewing needles (gumpaste/fondant details)
hollow plastic lollipop sticks for raised dots on flower centers
Pastry wheel (scalloped edge on fondant)

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:19pm
post #8 of 27

Wallpaper smoother (not the technical name?) for smoothing buttercream, clay extruder, bubble tea straws, viva paper towels (those last two probably go without saying,right?!), vinyl mat, electric knife (for cutting foam core boards). Different sizes of PVC pipe for rolling fondant. Piece of plastic guttering cover to use on fondant for grid/net type design. I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of for now.

By the way.....what is the "stocking trick"? I'm dying to know!!! icon_smile.gif

Debi

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:27pm
post #9 of 27

Putty knives, needle nose pliers, wire cutters, box cutter, garlic press, lots of cutters and molds made for clay work.

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:31pm
post #10 of 27

Yes, please explain the "stocking trick" and also the ceramic tile tip? My supplies from my husband's workshop: PVC pipe; a giant wooden dowel 2" diameter for rolling large areas of fondant; spackle spreader; dense foam roller; pizza wheel; egg cartons, etc.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:39pm
post #11 of 27

I have the egg cartons, pizza wheel,plastic childs "dress up" shoe to use as a template for "shoe" designs, and some placemats with interesting textures to imprint on fondant along with some rubber stamps.
I too want to know what the stocking trick is!

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:49pm
post #12 of 27

the stocking trick is where you push your RI through a clean (unworn icon_smile.gif ) stocking to take out all the little lumps that clog the icing tube.

If you use a very fine tip (0 or smaller) you can also sift the icing through a stocking and this will ensure that the tips doesnt clog.

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:08pm
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakechick123

the stocking trick is where you push your RI through a clean (unworn icon_smile.gif ) stocking to take out all the little lumps that clog the icing tube.

If you use a very fine tip (0 or smaller) you can also sift the icing through a stocking and this will ensure that the tips doesnt clog.

Wait! How do you get the royal icing to go through the stocking? Or are you talking about sifting the pwdr sugar through the stocking?

Im getting ready to start practicing my royal Icing...Any more tips you might have would be great!

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:14pm
post #14 of 27

fill the stocking with some RI and squeeze it to push the RI through. The lumps will stay inside the stocking and the fine RI will be in the bowl
hope this makes sense icon_smile.gif

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:29pm
post #15 of 27

I have all the above and below icon_lol.gif mentioned items, plus almost all of the crayola tools and molds.

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:46pm
post #16 of 27

rubber shelf liner layed in the trunk of my car for cake deliveries so they don't slide

JennieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennieB Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:42pm
post #17 of 27

Here is the link for leah_s "tile trick"
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=633571&highlight=bulge

Here is the link for the "stocking trick"
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=687056&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=stocking+royal+icing&&start=0

icon_smile.gif I love all the items us cakers just see as normal cake items but they didn't start out that way until cake central.
You mean bench scrapers aren't for frosting huh who knew!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:11pm
post #18 of 27

bench scrapper, pasta machine, pvc pipe, exacto knife, box cutter, pizza cutter, clay extruder, paint brushes, acrylic clay rolling pin, foam board, floral wire, Viva, computer paper, egg crate mattress, ect, ect, ect.......

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:15pm
post #19 of 27

ceramic tiles - cake plates
furniture coasters - feet for ceramic tiles
foam core board - cake boards
freezer paper - covering cake boards
exacto knife
foam roller - melvira method
various scrapers - smoothing fondant
parchment paper sheets - rolling fondant
paint brush - attaching fondant accents
medicine doseage cup - used with paint brush for fondant accents
clay extruder and cutters - fondant

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:20pm
post #20 of 27

insulin syringe (for bleeding off air bubbles... you can't see the hole)
plastic level from hardware store
dental floss
Quilter's ruler - 1" wide
Saran cutting sheets - for sliding between fondant and fondant rolling mat
cosmetic brush for cleaning up cake

Babs1964 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:07pm
post #21 of 27

Can someone tell this greenhorn icon_lol.gif how the clay extruder is used & I guess where can I buy one?!

mamawrobin Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:52pm
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs1964

Can someone tell this greenhorn icon_lol.gif how the clay extruder is used & I guess where can I buy one?!

You want to get one that has a twist handle rather than one that has a push handle. I have the Makins Ultimate Clay Extruder. I bought it at Hobby Lobby (you can also get it at Michael's) with my 40% off coupon and it only cost me $12.49.

I use it to make borders, flowers, hair, rope, and so many more things. If something happened to mine I would replace it right away! I use it that much. thumbs_up.gif

Babs1964 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 8:05pm
post #23 of 27

Thanks mamawrobin, I will look into getting one!!

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 10:47pm
post #24 of 27

Aren't some of these items falling into the extreme realm of non-food safe items that everyone's always quick to point out? Stockings are food safe? I'd have to find out.

Maynard628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maynard628 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:35pm
post #25 of 27

Well, you have to wash the stocking first. My instructor (who is in her 70's) had told me that HER instructor way back when had them place the royal icing in stockings and SQUEEZE it out. The stockings are so fine that when royal icing passes through, there is always always some left over icing that had harden and you can catch those particles inside the stocking.

That's also why a lot of professionals use the 10x powdered sugar 'coz it doesn't contain cornstarch and also has been pulverized 10x that's it's finer than C&H Powdered Sugar or other store brand powdered sugar.

Ok, sorry, didn't mean to butt in, just thought I'd share some info.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:39pm
post #26 of 27

Maynard628 ~
You by no means are ''butting'' in. The forums are open
to EVERYONE!!! Thanks for your input!! icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:52pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes47

Maynard628 ~