Is It Live Or Is It Memorex............

Decorating By kimbm04r Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 12:57am by JulieMN

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 18

As you may recall, in May my daughter tricked me into making my own birthday cake saying it was for a friend at work and had everyone at work involved in the surprise so I wouldn't get wise to her scheme. She surprised me with it at a party she had for me. I told her that I would make a cake for her to take to work sometime since they never got to taste the cake she tricked me into making.

Well yesterday was her birthday and where she works has a party once a month for the employees having a birthday that month. She asked me if I would make one for her to take to work for the July birthdays. I said I would and I would deliver it to her at work on Saturday. Just to begin, let me say just one word PAYBACK. On Thursday I set the plan into motion by calling where she works to verifiy that someone working Friday night was also be working Saturday morning. That night my husband cut two circles of stryofoam, hollowed them out and filled them with 3 pounds of sand. He sealed the sand into them and hot melt glued the two pieces together. Friday night I made and decorated the real cake and wrote "GOTCHA" on it and took it to where she works at 1:00 am. Then I covered the "fake" cake with RI and set it to dry. Saturday morning I covered the RI wiith buttercream and set about decorating it to match the real cake I delivered the night before only on this one I wrote "Happy Birthday". I delivered it to her, at work around noon. She was so excited, taking it around to everyone showing them her beautiful "cake". She was so excited, until she went to cut it later. From what I undersatnd, they didn't give her the real cake right away. Everyone she works with thought it was just great. They were laughing so hard they had to explain themselves to the customers all day.

So can you tell me which one is live and which one is memorex, #1 or #2?
LL
LL

17 replies
VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 18

hahahaha! That is awesome.
Can't tell which is which.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 18

based on the sharpness of the top edge, I'm guessing that #1 is memorex and #2 is the real deal.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 18

Wow, I sure can't tell. Great job on duplicating the real cake. I keep looking back and forth, and they look the same to me.

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 18

Amazing job! They look so much alike! I am going to guess #1 is fake just going on the smoothness of the fish and the shiny look that it has...
Incredible work!

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 18

LOL 1 looks fake to me icon_smile.gif

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:04am
post #7 of 18

No Clue!!! What a great game!

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 18

I can't tell which is memorex or which is live icon_eek.gif . You have done an excellent job with replicating the cakes. I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and say that cake #2 is the fake and cake #1 is the live cake icon_confused.gif , only because everyone else thinks it's the other way around. icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:36pm
post #9 of 18

I'm guesses #1 is the fake and #2 is the real.

sullymel13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sullymel13 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:32pm
post #10 of 18

I think #1 is fake, and #2 is real, but it's so hard to tell any difference! Great story!

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 9:34pm
post #11 of 18

Ooopse! I voted wrong -- just went by which was "first" rather than the actual numbers. I actually meant to vote for #2 -- the one on top.

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 9:41pm
post #12 of 18

Ooooohhh, you're good!!!!!!! icon_twisted.gif

kimbm04r Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 10:20pm
post #13 of 18

She actually had the nerve to call me EVIL, imagine that. She told them at work that it wasn't over.

Keep the guesses coming. Will reveal the "real" cake Sunday for all interested.

Thanks for the comments thus far.

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 10:39pm
post #14 of 18

Reminds me of a lady I had in a buttercream Lambeth class - class being held at the end of March. She brought in a dummy cake to ice. Did the whole project and then informed us she was going to take her beautifully decorated "cake" to work on April 1st as a joke!!! Only I don't think she brought a real one to compensate for the joke so not sure how her co-workers reacted to being duped with a styro cake icon_confused.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 10:43pm
post #15 of 18

This my guess #1 fake , #2 real- it is really hard to tell

kimbm04r Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:34pm
post #16 of 18

The time has come..............drum roll please!!!

Thanks for playing.

Number 1 is the fake. icon_evil.gif

You guys are just to good! icon_smile.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 11:05pm
post #17 of 18

It was fun

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 12:57am
post #18 of 18

What fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%