Indydebi Buttercream

Baking By mommynana Updated 12 Dec 2010 , 12:50am by flowergirl1

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:41am
post #1 of 34

i have made indydebi buttercream and it was great, but i made it and used it the same day how long in advance can i make it. and can it t be stored in any boul,and if i have to color some can i do that in advance also. sorry for all the questions TIA

33 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:44am
post #2 of 34

Yes, yes, yes and , uh, yes. Yes, you can make it in advance...I made a batch on the 3rd and used the rest of that batch today and it was still just as yummy. You don't have to refridgerate but I do...in tupperware. Yes, you can color it and store it as well. Hope I answered everything!

Cat

mommynana Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:50am
post #3 of 34

indeed u did thanks Cat thumbs_up.gif

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 34

Hello, I have been meaning to try this buttercream too but haven't had the chance yet. As well as the ingredients stated, could I also add in melted chocolate to make it more chocolatey

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 34

Yup...did that this weekend. Use Bakers UNsweetend chocolate and it's 8oz per batch of Indy's BC. Make sure to stir it into room temp BC or the chocolate will seize. It was YUMMY! BTW...I didn't want a whole batch of chocolate, just enough to fill one tier, so I started out with about 2 cups of BC and added in an oz at a time till I got it as chocolaty as I wanted it. It was perfect!

Cat

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:12pm
post #6 of 34

Like Cat said it will keep just fine at room temperature. I make several batches of this icing every week and it will keep fine at room temperature for up to two weeks. I never refrigerate my icing or my cakes.

I also use it to make my chocolate buttercream just like Cat said. Using UNsweetened chocolate squares. You also have to add extra milk (I use half and half) when adding the chocolate because it thickens the buttercream. I add only a teaspoon at a time so that I'm careful not to add too much liquid. This makes the absolute BEST chocolate buttercream that I've ever had thumbs_up.gif
Not only does it taste wonderful but it still crust and smooths the same as the "original" icing, which is a huge plus for me. I love this recipe.

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:56am
post #7 of 34

This is probably a stupid question but I need to ask. The receipe requires powdered dream whip. I have bought the british version in the UK. Do I just empty the contents from the sachet into the rest of the ingredients or do I actually MAKE the whip beforehand and spoon the correct amount of the whip into the ingredients?

mommynana Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:44am
post #8 of 34

just add, don`t make it, i made 3 paches the other day, and i was up last night till 12 30 fininsing up thomas the train cake for my grandson {6 colors} got to say this is my first cake and i am very happy how it turned out here it is 6 am and im making cream puffs allso for the party i don`t no how im going to move this cake (other then very carefully) but i hope to get a pic and post it later

mommynana Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:47am
post #9 of 34

also misscakecrazy, i think it called for 3 Tablespoons

mommynana Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 11:08am
post #10 of 34

mommywrobin, i took ur advice and i walked away and i beat the hell out of the shorting and....niccccccceee thanks thumbs_up.gif

mommynana Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 11:11am
post #11 of 34

sorry..........misspelled ur name icon_redface.gif

mamawrobin Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 5:32pm
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynana

sorry..........misspelled ur name icon_redface.gif

That's okay icon_wink.gif It is good isn't it? I love working with it thumbs_up.gif

klangl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klangl Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 6:04pm
post #13 of 34

I have made indydebi's buttercream, but mine was a little too crusty, do I add more shortening or more milk?

I prefer my recipe better, but my family preferred indydebi, so I guess we have a new buttercream icing.....lol

mamawrobin Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 6:09pm
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by klangl

I have made indydebi's buttercream, but mine was a little too crusty, do I add more shortening or more milk?

I prefer my recipe better, but my family preferred indydebi, so I guess we have a new buttercream icing.....lol

I'd say shortening. Some buttercreams are 1:1 sugar to fat ratio. Her recipe is more like 2:1. I'm not sure about adding more milk. icon_confused.gif I like the fact that it crust so fast.

Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 6:20pm
post #15 of 34

I'm gonna have to try the chocolate version. I know the regular version is great, but the chocolate sounds amazing!

LePetitCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LePetitCakes Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 6:28pm
post #16 of 34

mamawrobin: do you refrigerate the cream cheese version that you use? I'm going to make some tonight, but wasn't sure if it needed refrigeration due to the cream cheese.

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 6:38pm
post #17 of 34

I want to try this rec. but i cant find "dream whip" I looked at wally world, and united...gonna go on an intense search for it.

klangl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klangl Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 6:42pm
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by klangl

I'd say shortening. Some buttercreams are 1:1 sugar to fat ratio. Her recipe is more like 2:1. I'm not sure about adding more milk. icon_confused.gif I like the fact that it crust so fast.

Thanks, I will try that, I wasn't used to the quick crusting effect, I used it on cupcakes and it was too crusty the icing was crumbling, but like I said my family loved the taste, just something different for a change, they are so sick of cakes... I did go to Kroger and buy several boxes of the Whipped topping, so I can try it again too get it right!!!

mamawrobin Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 6:45pm
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by petitcakes

mamawrobin: do you refrigerate the cream cheese version that you use? I'm going to make some tonight, but wasn't sure if it needed refrigeration due to the cream cheese.

No I don't. This icing has enough sugar in it that the milk and cream cheese are safe w/o refrigeration. I don't know the scientific explanation but the sugar preserves the milk/cream cheese somehow... icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Some cream cheese icings do require refrigeration but this one doesn't. I think leily also has a cream cheese icing that doesn't require refrigeration and her recipe also crust. Haven't tried it yet but it sounds good. Her recipe has more cream cheese in it than this one does. I've thought about adding more cream cheese (and reducing the Crisco a little more) to my Indydebi 'variation' but I really don't care for cream cheese and I like it just the way it is.

LePetitCakes Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 6:58pm
post #20 of 34

Thank you so much for the help. I've followed your instructions to a "T" and IndyDebbie's buttercream always comes out amazing. I'm so excited to try your cream cheese version icon_biggrin.gif .

mamawrobin Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 7:04pm
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by petitcakes

Thank you so much for the help. I've followed your instructions to a "T" and IndyDebbie's buttercream always comes out amazing. I'm so excited to try your cream cheese version icon_biggrin.gif .

If you find that it doesn't have enough cream cheese to your liking..you can always add more cream cheese and reduce the amount of Crisco to make up the difference. Like I said this is perfect for me because I don't like an overpowering cream cheese flavor. Hope you like it. thumbs_up.gif

mommynana Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:03am
post #22 of 34

mamaworbin, good is`t the word, i don`t like buttercream,but i ate this one and the thomas the train cake we had today, i can`t tell u how fast that cake went, people were coming back and asking if they could have seconds, i could`t cut the cake fast enough, that was a good feeling, when i get the pic, if i could figure out how to post it i will

mamawrobin Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:41am
post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynana

mamaworbin, good is`t the word, i don`t like buttercream,but i ate this one and the thomas the train cake we had today, i can`t tell u how fast that cake went, people were coming back and asking if they could have seconds, i could`t cut the cake fast enough, that was a good feeling, when i get the pic, if i could figure out how to post it i will

Good deal! Glad to hear that your cake was such a hit thumbs_up.gif

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:56am
post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

If you find that it doesn't have enough cream cheese to your liking..you can always add more cream cheese and reduce the amount of Crisco to make up the difference. Like I said this is perfect for me because I don't like an overpowering cream cheese flavor. Hope you like it. thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobbin,
Can you please point me in the right direction to where I can find the Cream Cheese version of Indydebi's buttercream?
Or can you share how you make it ,please.
Thanks.
- H

LePetitCakes Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:49am
post #25 of 34

Honeyscakes, this is the recipe that Mamawrobin shared. I made it tonight and it was SO good. Even my husband who hates frosting devoured it!

From Mamawrobin:

*You can use half butter and half Crisco...I don't because of the heat and humidity in my area. This icing crust very well and will smooth beautifully using the viva method.

Ingredients
1 2/3 cups Crisco
1 8 ounce box cream cheese (softened to room temperature)
4 LB. powdered sugar (SIFTED)
6 tablespoons Dream Whip
2 tablespoons vanilla (clear if you need white icing)
1 to 1 1/3 cups milk (I use half and half)
6 oz melted white chocolate
Preparation
Put Crisco and cream cheese in mixing bowl and whip for 10-15 minutes.
Add about 1 1/2 pounds of the sifted powdered sugar, about 1/2 the milk and Dream Whip and mix until blended. Incorporate the rest of the powdered sugar, another 1/2 cup milk and vanilla. Let whip for at least 20 minutes. You may need to add up to 1/3 cups more milk...maybe even more. Just have to add until it "looks right". I like my icing pretty thick (still spreadable but thick)
I have also added 6 ounces of melted white chocolate to this icing and it is really, really good. It will require more milk if you add the chocolate, just add a teaspoon at a time until it "looks right". I used the icing with white chocolate added for a red velvet cake and it was a great flavor combination.

carlee521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carlee521 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:59am
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessMaker

I want to try this rec. but i cant find "dream whip" I looked at wally world, and united...gonna go on an intense search for it.

If you have a Kroger near you go to the jello aisle, at my kroger it's at the bottom shelf..there is dream whip (2pk box) and there is Kroger's brand...it has 4 packages and is .50cents cheaper! 3tbsp is close to only 3/4 of a packet.

HTH

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:06am
post #27 of 34

So much to try so little time, darn day job gets in the way...lol!

flowergirl1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowergirl1 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 1:46pm
post #28 of 34

hi all any uk cakers tried Indydebi!s buttercream what did you use for your shorting and also what did you use in place of cream whip would love to try any tips would be appreciated very much thank you.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 2:48am
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePetitCakes

Honeyscakes, this is the recipe that Mamawrobin shared. I made it tonight and it was SO good. Even my husband who hates frosting devoured it!

From Mamawrobin:

*You can use half butter and half Crisco...I don't because of the heat and humidity in my area. This icing crust very well and will smooth beautifully using the viva method.

Ingredients
1 2/3 cups Crisco
6 tablespoons Dream Whip
Preparation
Add about 1 1/2 pounds of the sifted powdered sugar, about 1/2 the milk and Dream Whip and mix until blended. Incorporate the rest of the powdered sugar, another 1/2 cup milk and vanilla. Let whip for at least 20 minutes. You may need to add up to 1/3 cups more milk...maybe even more. Just have to add until it "looks right". I like my icing pretty thick (still spreadable but thick)
I have also added 6 ounces of melted white chocolate to this icing and it is really, really good. It will require more milk if you add the chocolate, just add a teaspoon at a time until it "looks right". I used the icing with white chocolate added for a red velvet cake and it was a great flavor combination.

Just wondering, is it supposed to be 6 T of Dream Whip? In the original recipe it is 3. Just wondering. Thanks

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 2:57am
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePetitCakes

From Mamawrobin:

Ingredients
1 2/3 cups Crisco
6 tablespoons Dream Whip
Preparation

Just wondering, is it supposed to be 6 T of Dream Whip? In the original recipe it is 3. Just wondering. Thanks

Nevermind....I just saw that this is a double batch. My error. OOPS!!!!!! icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%