Premade Candy Instead Of Fondant Pearls? Look At This

Decorating By KHalstead Updated 20 Jun 2010 , 10:23am by FleurDeCake

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 69

So I was browsing cakes online (as usual) and came across an adorable website with really GREAT cakes on it.........anyhow, I saw this one cake in particular (below) and the great jet black pearls on it.

The description on the website said "black chocolate pearls" so I thought......surely these are premade!!!

So I googled chocolate coated candies and came up with sixlets. Then I wondered, do they make black???

They sure do!!!
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sweetfactory.com/images/uploads/32132-BlackSix.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sweetfactory.com/index.php%3F_a%3DviewProd%26productId%3D2020&usg=__HpgQc903Mkt-AmTLf4JePt64lPM=&h=292&w=389&sz=23&hl=en&start=3&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=MopZ37vGIDfxpM:&tbnh=92&tbnw=123&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dblack%2Bsixlets%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DG%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-USicon_surprised.giffficial%26channel%3Ds%26tbs%3Disch:1

Not only do they make BLACK, but they have SILVEr as well as about 30 other colors and you can buy the colors individually by the pound!

thought this was a great find!!!! I hate rolling fondant pearls and I'll bet people would enjoy these JUST as much!
LL

68 replies
KHalstead Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:52pm
post #2 of 69
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 69

Thanks. I hate rolling those things icon_lol.gif . I will be ordering some for sure.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 69

What a time saver!! Thanks for the link!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 69

What a great find indeed! I didn't look real closely at the site - hoping that you don't have to be a business to order from them. What a time saver this would be and I bet customers would love eating them especially the kids. Oh - and lots of GREAT colors!

Thanks KHalstead

jessielou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessielou Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:11pm
post #6 of 69

Awesome!!! You just saved me so much time! Im need pearls for a wedding cake next month and I didnt want to pay so much for the soft ones (someone could break a tooth on those hard ones!)but I REALLY didnt want to make them! Just ordered white and black! THANKS! thumbs_up.gif

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:14pm
post #7 of 69

I love sixlets. (Despite the fact that when I was little I had a really BAD habit of sticking them up my nose - hey, I was 4 years old, what can I say?!)

I have watched for just regular multi-colored sixlets here and don't seem to ever find them!

Yay! Thanks for sharing! I hate rolling those stupid little fondant balls, too...perfect!!!!

TejasRebel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TejasRebel Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:17pm
post #8 of 69

Wow... I don't know about where y'all live, but the Sweet Factory actually has a store in a couple malls around here.

What an awesome find ~ thank you!

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:17pm
post #9 of 69

I have to add they taste yummy!!! Our Hobby Lobby store carries the various colors in 14 oz bags for $6.99. Lucky me, there was a 50% bridal sale going on, so I purchased several bags. They were used for favor bags that I was giving out in a small show. The colors I used were black, pearl and lime green which fit into my color scheme.

Linss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linss Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:17pm
post #10 of 69

Check your local Hobby Lobby. I saw the pearl ones in the wedding department.

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:18pm
post #11 of 69

Awesome find. I will have to get some soon, I like to use anything that will save me some time. I have a couple of Ideas in mind for Mother's Day and this will make things easeir.

There is a Hobby Lobby 40 minutes from me and I will definetly check it out. I love that place even if it is a trip for me to get there. I have to leave the family behind and go with my girlfriends.

THANKS!!!!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:20pm
post #12 of 69

These are great! Thank you so much for sharing--will definitely get some!

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:21pm
post #13 of 69

Duh!!! I've SEEN them in Hobby Lobby and even thought I should stock up! DUH ME!!!!! icon_redface.gif

Thanks for reminding me...

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:21pm
post #14 of 69

WOW! I've been eating Sixlets for YEARS... never would have imagined they made them in all those colors or that you could buy them by the color. Thanks for the great info, Tina.

KHalstead Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:22pm
post #15 of 69

I was so excited!!1 I've seen the pearls they sell at AC moore and even walmart in the wedding section but they're MINT flavored...............I also love the sheen on these!!!

I've taken m&m's and added pearl luster dust to them and it DOES stick..so I'm betting you could "pearlize" any of these colors!!!

I've looked at whoppers (the pink and brown I've used) but there aren't a lot of colors.

These are all so perfect and uniform on that pink and black cake and thats really what drew my eye to it! And that perfect shiny look!

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:27pm
post #16 of 69

This store is in the mall near my home. Perhaps it's also in a mall near some of you guys and gals in case you wanted to buy a smaller package. I'll be going to the mall today, of course, to check these out!

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:29pm
post #17 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasRebel

Wow... I don't know about where y'all live, but the Sweet Factory actually has a store in a couple malls around here.

What an awesome find ~ thank you!

Whoops. I just read this. I pretty much wrote the same thing in my post. icon_biggrin.gif

obabassa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obabassa Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:31pm
post #18 of 69

For larger pearls I like to use whoppers and strawberry n cream whoppers. Works great if you need those colors.

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:39pm
post #19 of 69

That is so awesome I wonder approx how many come in a pound? They would look great on cupcakes too!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:40pm
post #20 of 69

it says there are approximately 560 per pound.

Thanks for sharing...this one is going into the favorites for sure!! icon_biggrin.gif

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:41pm
post #21 of 69

I posted this picture awhile back to show when I first bought these. I got them at a place called Bakers Cash and Carry in SLC. They have all the colors and sell in different quantities.
LL

cocobean Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:42pm
post #22 of 69

...here is a pic of the inside. These are all just regular whitle not the pearlized ones, but they carry those to!
LL

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:42pm
post #23 of 69

I'm am SO running to hobby lobby right now!! AWESOME

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:43pm
post #24 of 69
damanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
damanda Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:51pm
post #25 of 69

OMG!! This is AWESOME thank you sooo much for the web site.
Amanda

obabassa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obabassa Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:56pm
post #26 of 69

For those who don't need 10 lbs of candy, Walmart does sell the sixlets in the party section. They have white, hot pink, aqua, lime green and a multipack. Also, have found the small gumballs in silver in that section too.

Amanda621 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amanda621 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:58pm
post #27 of 69

www.nutsonline.com has them pretty cheap too and they ship the same day. They are located somewhere in New Jersey I think. We are in MD and ordered them in my sister's wedding colors for her favors, and they were delivered the next day. I never even thought about using them for cakes!

Edited to add: Type in sixlets in the search bar. They are $5 a pound and come in lots of colors

cocobean Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:02pm
post #28 of 69

Here is the first cake I used them on. They are yummier than fondant pearls but, I am not convinced that I like the look of them over fondant pearls yet. icon_rolleyes.gif
LL

rcolson13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcolson13 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:20pm
post #29 of 69

I'll have to try that! I've only done pearls a couple times, but it too forever. For those of who that want a ton of sixlets, there are 10lb. bags for $40 on Amazon as well

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:24pm
post #30 of 69

A big THANK YOU for this thread. Wonderful ideas with sixlets! How convenient and "who'da thought"?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%