Wilton Fondant Tastes Pretty Good Now!

Decorating By sugarshack Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 1:02am by LindaF144a

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:31am
post #1 of 96

Wendy gave me a blind sample (of Wilton fondant) a few weeks ago and asked what I thought it was and i guessed Satin Ice.

I bought a box and just tasted it. NO NO chemical smell or taste; just very sweet, a bit chewier than the others, still kinda firm, not bad at all! NOTHING like the old sftuff, IMO.

I am going to try it on a dummy tomorrow for performance and may try it on a cake this weekend.

If it performs well, our prayers may have been answered. We shall see!

95 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:38am
post #2 of 96

icon_eek.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:39am
post #3 of 96

sharon, i added some white choc. clay to some last week. very tasty . and pliable also. i think the taste has gotten better too. hadn,t said anything. didn,t know if it was just me.

sugarshack Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:40am
post #4 of 96

no, there is a DEFINITE difference from the past.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:40am
post #5 of 96

So is the packaging any different? Other than tasting it is there some way to know from the outside of the box that it''s "new and improved."

PS, It's not April 1, is it?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:43am
post #6 of 96

I made a post on another thread earlier today about this very thing. I mixed white chocolate modeling chocolate and Wilton fondant for a cake last week and it was really good. I had a last minute cake and didn't have time to make anymore fondant. I was pleasantly suprised icon_surprised.gif

I love Wilton for my bows. I usually always have some on hand just for that. icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:45am
post #7 of 96

No, the package is exactly the same. I was as shocked as you are. Wendy noticed it first and showed me, then I bought some and same thing. Others are noticing it too.

Like I said, more sweet, a bit more chewy, but if it performs like the old Wilton, it might be a real winner.

If you do not like fondant, this will not convert you. But if you do not mind fondant, this will not run you away.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:57am
post #8 of 96

Wow...seriously? Last time I tried it (years ago) it tasted like a plastic bag!

I ordered four buckets of FondX to try out instead of Satin Ice, which I've been getting mad at. I used to use FondX awhile back and then switched to SI because the buckets were bigger and a bit cheaper..but now the prices on SI have gone up some, and GSA had FondX at a comparable price.

The only bad thing about Wilton, even if it does taste good, is that they still only sell it in smaller boxes...so really only good for last minute stuff....or for those of you who don't have local bakery supplies and don't have time to place an order. Which hey that's good though!

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:25am
post #9 of 96

Is this a very late April Fools joke?

sugarshack Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:29am
post #10 of 96

no, I am dead serious. icon_smile.gif

Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:36am
post #11 of 96

Wow - its about time they fixed that. I will have to try it out. I have some Michaels coupons to use up. Thanks!

mayo2222 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:39am
post #12 of 96

I am still wondering if Sharon bought some shares of Wilton and is just trying to drive up sales icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the heads up, I will have to pick up a little and taste for myself

sugarshack Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:42am
post #13 of 96

tee hee hee

who knew? Four Wilton things I really like:

the new fondant ( if it passes the performance test)
premade gumpaste
cake release in squeeze bottle
heating cores

and no I have no shares! HAHA! LOL

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:23am
post #14 of 96

I also like their premade gumpaste. I've never used any other.

kricket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kricket Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:44am
post #15 of 96

I, too tried Wilton fondant again recently because I was using it to cover some dummies. I was pleasantly surprised at the taste. While I wouldn't describe it as "yummy", it certainly isn't disgusting like it used to be. It is more of just a "sweet taste" now. Why Wilton isn't advertising it as "now better tasting", I don't know (perhaps they don't want to admit that it ever tasted horrible...), but it's nice to have Wilton fondant as an option, especially because of the availability and 40% off coupons.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:47am
post #16 of 96

I agree! Wilton taste better than it used to. I used some a while back to do drapes on a cake because it doesn't tear like satin ice does. I noticed the smell first....it didn't have that chemical smell like it did before, and doesn't have the "strange just can't put your finger on it" taste it did before. I still love my satin ice, but wilton is obviously trying to better itself in the fondant department icon_biggrin.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:07am
post #17 of 96

I agree with leah_s. icon_eek.gif!

I'm going to need to see about 750 more posts in agreement with your assessment, Sharon, before I will have the courage to take a taste of that stuff again though icon_lol.gif.

sugarshack Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:40am
post #18 of 96

We shall see what others think. LOL. I am not saying it is fabulously delicious; in fact I do not find any fondant "yummy" or delicious. But I find it to be just as "tasty" as satin Ice and no chemical tasting like Pettinice. I gave some to my 20 year old son, who has tasted a lot of fondant and has an interest in my business, and he said it woud be fine to use it on a cake. He said it had no smell, no chemical taste, no aftertaste, and just kind of a sweet taste. he did not find it offensive in the least.

Of course so much is personal taste; some love the taste of one brand and others hate it. But I have no doubt in my mind that it is different than it used to be, and I would put it on a cake for a customer at this point based on taste only. I have to do a performance test before I give it my rubber stamp of approval.

I am as surprised as you guys, believe me. Going to try it on a dummy tomorrow and I will report back. icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:38pm
post #19 of 96

I have heard this too, waiting to hear from you on the performance Sharon!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:40pm
post #20 of 96

This might go a long way in saving me some $$. I've been buying Satin Ice, and as a hobby decorator, the price can get salty. I might have to pick some up from Hobby Lobby. icon_biggrin.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:58pm
post #21 of 96

Damn! What am I gonna use to repel mosquitoes now?!

mayo2222 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 1:00pm
post #22 of 96

I just sent Wilton an e-mail asking if they had recently changed their fondant recipe. Hopefully they will get back to me.

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 1:29pm
post #23 of 96

I've never minded wiltons fondant, but don't get much call for fondant cakes. I use the wilton fondant and add tylose for accents and flowers. Will have to try adding white chocolate to it, sounds yummy.

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 1:34pm
post #24 of 96

I'll have to try it! No local supply stores for anything else around here. Actually (((PLEASE DON'T LAUGH))) I have never made or even tasted a cake covered in fondant...the local bakeries around here don't even offer it. I just use MMF for decorations.

Yay! Now I can try out all of the neat stuff that I learned in Sharon's Fondant DVD!

FierceConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FierceConfections Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:28pm
post #25 of 96

I just covered a few dummies with it this week, but can't say I noticed anything different about the smell. I'll have to suck it up and try a little bit now. It sure would be convenient if it really is better. Thanks for the heads-up Sharon, because God knows I wouldn't have just eaten some on my own!

believer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
believer Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:05pm
post #26 of 96

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I made a post on another thread earlier today about this very thing. I mixed white chocolate modeling chocolate and Wilton fondant for a cake last week and it was really good. I had a last minute cake and didn't have time to make anymore fondant. I was pleasantly suprised

I love Wilton for my bows. I usually always have some on hand just for that

Mamawrobin, how much modeling chocolate do you add to the fondant? Is is equal parts. Thanks

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:38pm
post #27 of 96

I tried to get my kids to taste a little today for me and they all said "NO WAY". I did try a tiny piece and I didn't taste that chemical play dough taste.

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 10:41pm
post #28 of 96

It so funny I teach with it all the time in my wilton class every week, and I have not even tasted it for a long long long time, I will be opening a pack to night to test this theory!

sarah5008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah5008 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 11:43pm
post #29 of 96

I'm pretty new to fondant and have just used it on small cakes so I had bought the Wilton. I was wondering why everyone was saying that it tasted horrible because I didn't think it tasted bad icon_smile.gif I never said anything because I thought maybe I was just weird and inexperienced- lol! Now I know it's because it's been changed! Whew I feel better about it using it now.

momdalejr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momdalejr Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:10am
post #30 of 96

I have to agree the Wilton is not bad at all... I make mmf and did the same taste with friends...50/50... wilton not bad at all.. and alot easier to just open a box. But i just decorate with fondant... not much for cakes covered in fondant in my area... bc all the way icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%