How Do I Keep A Cake Fresh After Decorating It?

Decorating By Sandysdream Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 2:30pm by Mug-a-Bug

Sandysdream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandysdream Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:37am
post #1 of 7

I have a client coming to see me this afternoon. She wants a christening cake for next week but she wants it by Wednesday/Thursday. Then she is going to take it to another town and they are only going to use it on the Sunday. How can she keep the cake fresh if it is covered in fondant and not allowed to go into the fridge or freezer? Please help?

6 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 7

Did she give any reasoning for wanting to do this?

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 7

I think that is way too long. IMO the cake should be eaten by day 4. If you bake on Tuesday and it's not eaten until Sunday, thats 6 days..... a LONG time. I wouldn't do it. thumbsdown.gif Don't be afraid to say no when your reputation is at risk. If the cake is bad she will probably blame you.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 7

Is this the timeline?
she picks it up on Thursday and serves it on Sunday
You bake on Monday or Tuesday and put it in the freezer at least overnight.
You fill and use the ceramic tile trick to get the cake to settle faster, frost and cover and decorate on Wednesday.
Actually it should be fine.

There's NOTHING about putting a cake in the fridge that keeps it fresh. Refrigerating cakes actually dries them out. Freezing keeps them moist.

Also use a wash, and of course do not use a filling that requires refrigeration.

Sandysdream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandysdream Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 7

Thx. I think I will pass on this one as it is very hot at the moment and I do not think the cake will last that long.
I do not want to sound stupid, but what is the ceramic tile ....? icon_redface.gif

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Quote:

I do not want to sound stupid, but what is the ceramic tile ....?

Me too. What is the ceramic tile method?

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:30pm
post #7 of 7

You place a tile (or anything heavy) on top of your cake (after crumbcoating). I don't crumbcoat the top, then I put a cardboard round between the tile and the cake. This helps the cake to settle before you ice it. Anything that is going to shift or smush around is going to do it at this stage and not after you ice it. This was the ONLY thing that solved my buttercream bulge problem. HTH thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%