Ha Ha, Did I "invent" A Cricut Technique?

Decorating By costumeczar Updated 24 Feb 2010 , 5:17pm by TobiasWilhelm

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 48

I can't be the first person to think of this, but I put modelling chocolate through the cricut today when I was messing around with it. It worked fine, but you have to handle it differently than the gumpaste. I think it woould work best for simple shapes, or if you just marked the score lines on a more complicated design, then finished it with an exacto. Easier than making a stencil, anyway.

The pink one is chocolate, the white one is gumpaste (yes, I broke it...I let it dry too long before I took the pieces out!)
LL

47 replies
esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 48

Sorry for my ignorance or inexperience, but what is cricut???? I have seen posts before and have no idea how it works or what it is. I am very curious???

TIA,,
Jackie

costumeczar Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 48

It's a scrapbooking machine for cutting out shapes and patterns. People have been using it for gumpaste shapes. There are a bunch of threads on here about it, and you can go to www.cricut.com to see demos.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 48

I would have never thought to use chocolate.

joyofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyofcakes Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 48

What a wonderful discovery. icon_biggrin.gif Thank you for shareing this. thumbs_up.gif

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 48

Well, before Miss Linda, no one woulda thought to use GP either! That sure is pretty. I don't know why I keep putting off getting one...

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 48

just a thought has anyone tried using a frosting sheet or rice paper I dont have a circut so I cant try it wonder if it would work.

costumeczar Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 48

Leahs has said that she uses the rice paper all the time, or maybe it's the frosting sheets. I've heard people say that they do use those. I put some rice paper through it yesterday and it worked okay.

The reason I say "ha ha I can't be the only one to think of this", is that someone on another thread had said that she'd been using gumpaste in the cricut for at least a year and had never heard of anyone else doing it. Nothing new is ever new, really. I've been using the paper punches with gumpaste long before I'd ever heard of a cricut, so it amounts to the same kind of technique.

I think I've decided that the cricut is a glorified exacto knife! icon_biggrin.gif It's much faster once you press the cut button, but figuring out how to work it sure is time consuming!

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 9:30pm
post #9 of 48

that's awesome!! glad you finally got your machine as i know you were waiting anxiously for it from ebay. congratulations on your new discovery. hopefully i can get one this year.

moscakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moscakes5 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 9:30pm
post #10 of 48
cas17 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 9:47pm
post #11 of 48

yikes, i feel a bit seasick or carsick or both tapedshut.gif

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 9:52pm
post #12 of 48

Never thought about using a Cricut for decorating cakes...what an awesome idea!

ethanriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ethanriley Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 10:25pm
post #13 of 48

OMG! I need to get a cricut!!! I never knew you could do that! Wow! It is going on my wish list right now! icon_lol.gif

charliejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliejo Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 10:41pm
post #14 of 48

Thanks for sharing, I tried gumpaste with my cricut yesterday and all I got was a cut thumb, will have to try chocolate.

costumeczar Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 11:03pm
post #15 of 48

The chocolate was harder to deal with than gumpaste...How did you cut your thumb? Oucch!

MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 11:04pm
post #16 of 48

Whoo hooo, I just showed DH the cricutcake and he said go ahead and order one! Yippee, can't wait to get it and try it out. icon_lol.gif

charliejo Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 11:15pm
post #17 of 48

cleaning the blade, i didn't get the gumpaste right, sit long enough? to thick, will try again. Im a scraper and love the cricut , just started making cakes and would love to use it with cakes too, thanks for your help

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 11:20pm
post #18 of 48

I've been playing with my Cricut and a fondant/gumpaste mix. The results have been pretty good so far but I'll have to try the modeling chocolate now. icon_smile.gif I love your Cricut modeling chocolate piece!

What are your pressure, speed and cutting blade levels? Are you using the deep cut blade?

charliejo Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 11:26pm
post #19 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith

I've been playing with my Cricut and a fondant/gumpaste mix. The results have been pretty good so far but I'll have to try the modeling chocolate now. icon_smile.gif I love your Cricut modeling chocolate piece!

What are your pressure, speed and cutting blade levels? Are you using the deep cut blade?

What is the mix if you want to share? i need al help I can get. Thanks

costumeczar Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 12:35am
post #20 of 48
Quote:

I just used the regular blade because I don't have a deep cut one, but the deep cut one would probably work better. I have to get one to try it. I used a slow speed and a medium pressure setting, and the regular blade was on 5. The chocolate was rolled out really thin, that was the hardest part. I put it in the fridge before I cut it to harden it up.

Im going to write about it on my blog when I get some time. I'm going to get a deep cut blade tomorrow and I'll do some pictures, etc. The chocolate was harder to work with than the gumpaste, but it was easier when it was cold. I just like the way that the modelling chocolate tastes instead of the gumpaste icon_smile.gif

psmith Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 12:51am
post #21 of 48

Thanks costumeczar! I'll try the modeling chocolate chilled and thin. Wish me luck!!

The ratio of fondant to gumpaste I've been using is not exact but probably close to a 1:1 and I lightly grease the mat and roll it out thin and let it sit for about 5-8 min before running through the machine. Some come out really well but not as good looking at the modeling chocolate so I'm going to give that a try.

I want so badly to get the hang of the Cricut cake decorating thing because it could be so much fun, especially when you can download images from the web and adjust the sizing in SCAL!

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 12:52am
post #22 of 48

check this out -- it was posted on another thread

http://www.cutncrop.com/Cricut-Cake-Personal-Cutter_p_184.html#

costumeczar Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:39am
post #23 of 48
Quote:

Thanks costumeczar! I'll try the modeling chocolate chilled and thin. Wish me luck!!

The ratio of fondant to gumpaste I've been using is not exact but probably close to a 1:1 and I lightly grease the mat and roll it out thin and let it sit for about 5-8 min before running through the machine. Some come out really well but not as good looking at the modeling chocolate so I'm going to give that a try.

I want so badly to get the hang of the Cricut cake decorating thing because it could be so much fun, especially when you can download images from the web and adjust the sizing in SCAL!

Use the deep cut blade and put the chocolate back into the fridge before you take it off the paper, too. The colder it is the easier it is to handle.

cas17 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:41am
post #24 of 48

so sorry, please excuse and disregard my second post on page 1 as that was meant for a different thread icon_redface.gificon_razz.gificon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:45am
post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas17

so sorry, please excuse and disregard my second post on page 1 as that was meant for a different thread icon_redface.gificon_razz.gificon_smile.gif

You must have been looking at Yvette's bridal fashion website icon_lol.gif I'm strangely fascinated by that website, it's horrifying

cas17 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:53am
post #26 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas17

You must have been looking at Yvette's bridal fashion website icon_lol.gif I'm strangely fascinated by that website, it's horrifying

haha, yes i was!! it made my eyes so crazy i posted in the wrong window. very strange web design. loving the good info on the cricut here tho.

psmith Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:30am
post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

Use the deep cut blade and put the chocolate back into the fridge before you take it off the paper, too. The colder it is the easier it is to handle.

Thanks!!! I made some modeling chocolate tonight so I'll try it tomorrow!! I will be totally thrilled if I can get something even close to the quality of that picture you posted. I'm excited!! icon_biggrin.gif

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:37am
post #28 of 48

I've been reading through the other thread and I want a cricut! I do card designs as well and having one of these would be so great. I'm keeping an eye out for them on craigslist and ebay to see if I can get one that someone has used, like if they upgraded to a bigger one or something.

After trying to hand cut font out for my last cake, I was really wishing I had one!

vandru10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vandru10 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:29am
post #29 of 48

Ok, so if I was going to buy the Circut, should I purchase the Cake Circut or Expressions Circut? If I buy the cake one, then will it cut paper or will it strictly be for cake usage? If thats the case then I suppose I should just get the expressions circut so I can use it for other things as well....

vandru10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vandru10 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:39am
post #30 of 48

OMG!! I mean CRICUT!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%